English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 November 2014, 03:57   #41
ennio

- That a really good game intro can matter
- That it was worthy of showing off to see the awe on people's faces, something I've never seen since with any other video game system
- That Omni-Play Basketball was good enough for me and my college roommates to consistently skip class (and we did the right thing)
- That using a modem actually worked with GEnie and that I could play trivia games against other people in the dark and order products online (I think credit cards were completely non-secure, but who cared, it was magic!)
Old 12 November 2014, 13:46   #42
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

Amiga changed my life, quite a bit really.

Coming from a working class background, it was quite difficult getting hold of a 500 soon after launch, by working a paper round and collecting the paper money every friday evening and combining my birthday cash along with a Christmas money I managed to get one.

I came from a c64 background, learning asm, getting a publishing deal at 15 years old. I was really excited to get the amiga and boy did it deliver.

After coming from the c64, the productivity software was just amazing. Devpac was my first contact with an advanced development environment - labels, macros, relocatable code, linkable object files - my mind was blown! I was used to coding machine code inline with my expert cartridge on the C64!

Dpaint was like a dream, after coming from the 16 colour palette of the c64 and designing all my graphics with Tony Crowthers 3-in-1 (sprite/character and map editor combined) again my mind was just blown! I would spend hours playing with the palette and learning all the tools, eventually conceding that programmers can no longer create decent graphics (Much easier to get away with things on the c64) and i needed an artist!

Then protracker and sound sampling was another amazing productivity area that was quite alien to me, never did anything of note, but I had to keep playing with it. Combined with devpac and dpaint this was the holy trinity of bedroom games development, anything seemed possible and commodore seemed to be light years ahead of any other competitor for now, for the future.

There was something quite special about the Amiga, it had this identity, character or would I even say soul! Maybe it was down to the sense of community it encouraged, I would spend time in computer shops looking at the games, meeting others doing the same, finding other programmers, musicians, artists and learning about "computer clubs" (computer copy parties really!). Just the tonic for awkward teenagers and weirdy beardy types, no judgement from others, all in it together, for the fun, for the experience.

Because of my interest in coding, I wouldn't really play games properly, but would enjoy watching others play trying to figure out how the games worked, always ripping apart games with the action replay or discussing techniques with others and trying things out, a time of exploration and discovery, great times.

I always wished Amiga games had a more modest price range, when you could buy a great C64 game for £1.99 and an amazing one for £9.99 (I had quite a collection of originals) Amiga game prices where just insane to me, I hardly bought any original games and had hundreds of copies, I think I could buy 50 disks for the price on one original, with my very limited income there was nothing to think about.

Then the hardware and lack of progression really sunk the nails in the coffin, SNES and Megadrive started to advance home gaming hardware in ways the Amiga couldn't really compete with, but the real killer came with wolfenstein on the PC, closely followed by doom and eventually the internet. Amiga was dead, after riding the high seas it was steered into a cliff, never to return.

A really special time of my life, probably never to return.

Amiga taught me about discipline and perseverance, art can be formed on a computer and maybe you can love a machine!

Last edited by jimmy2x2x; 12 November 2014 at 18:26. Reason: wurds
Old 12 November 2014, 18:05   #43
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Okay bear with me here.. The not so positive of what the Amiga taught me.

When I was 15 my entire world was ripped apart (I not going into this). As a result I ended up in foster care, away from my brothers and sister. My escape was the Amiga. I loved it. I didn't leave my room. Never went to a school. I slept for a couple hours and then I would play games. This is how I remained for 6 years or so.. I never had friends, I didn't learn how to be a sociable person. I was a hermit. I have now been diagnosed with stage 2 social anxiety disorder, and find it difficult meeting new people, I avoid most social events like the plague :-( do I regret this? Yes a little, but what the Amiga taught me was creativity, programming, dpaint, basic game hacking and editing.

Would I change anything. Yes. I'd spend less time Amiga, and have actually learnt to be sociable. I'd be a more successful person now.. Even so I loved my amigas then, and I love it now despite having very little time to do anything nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Good god do I know anxiety. I also have great trouble in social situations. I never learnt how as I got anxiety and social phobia when I was only 11 years old. It is only now that I am beginning to learn. Quite strange, it's something everyone else takes for granted...

Well I took solace in games in very bad times. It was my only enduring passion and a damn good distraction. You might be amazed just how many games I played and finished; I play much less now as I am in a better place.
Max kudos, for being so open guys very brave of you, I think the Amiga was an escape for all of us in some way.

The Amiga taught me that computers are the future and are going to exponentially grow and if I want to be successful in the future, I'd better get to know how to use one.

And computer games are brilliant and if you've got time on your hands they are great fun. It was like having an Arcade machine in your bedroom!!!

Plus Dpaint, Soundmaster and Red Sector were great fun to be creative

Last edited by Rob 1; 13 November 2014 at 09:15.
Old 12 November 2014, 18:39   #44
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1 View Post
Max kudos, for being so open guys very brave of you I think the Amiga was and escape for all of us in some way.

The Amiga taught me that computers are the future and are going to exponentially grow and if I want to be successful in the future, I'd better get to know how to use one.

And computer games are brilliant and if you've got time on your hands they are great fun. It was like having an Arcade machine in your bedroom!!!

Plus Dpaint, Soundmaster and Red Sector were great fun to be creative
Yup. it was like having an arcade machine in your bedroom. that's how i felt about it too.
Old 12 November 2014, 23:16   #45
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Appreciate you're not going to necessarily agree with me, bearing in mind my Amiga history.

However, the Amiga taught me that Commodore didn't ever have a clue what it had before it was too late.

Piracy was indeed a problem, but only in so much as so long as new machines were being bought, so were games.

Even upto 1994, Mortal Kombat 2 sold pretty decently according to the programmer of it because of the royalties he personally got from it.

But back onto Commodore.

The first sign of trouble was the CDTV. Sure, great idea, ahead of its time, and a smart looking machine, other than the caddy, it was great..... just a shame then that Commodore tried to distance the Amiga connection as much as possible so that potential buyers were completely flummoxed just what the hell it was supposed to be.

The next problem was AGA and CD32.

Whilst AGA machines are decent enough, when the A1000 was released and for a good few years afterwards when the A500 was released, Amiga was technically king of the hill.

A1200 and A4000 were not.

Commodore screwed them up massively.

What they did right: faster processor, more chip memory, cheaper upgrade paths for peripherals such as hard drives and PCMCIA addons, more colours, more bitplanes.

What they did wrong: Didn't upgrade the blitter to any kind of reasonable degree to cope with the fact it now had to display more bitplanes, audio hardware not increased to 16bit, audio hardware not increased with more sound channels, copper speed not increased so it could do 1 pixel colour reloading, which would have made Doom style games a piece of piss to do.

So yes, piracy was a problem, but the fact is, the A1200 and AGA was simply not good enough to encourage people to stick with Amiga, when technically, AGA was less capable than the current spec PC.

As for the CD32, should have had at least 1 meg of fast ram, should have either been its own system with additional hardware above that of the A1200.

Commodore had to be brain dead to not know that Sega were already working on a replacement for the MegaCD, and it appears Commodore were content to just beat that machine with no eye on the future.

Whilst Sony was new to console hardware manufacturing, they made no fucking secret of the people they were courting for their new PSX project, Psygnosis who made most of their money off the back of their Amiga work, were being feted like pretty virgin brides, and later bought up in their entirety.

I'm sorry, but you just don't underestimate the #1 entertainment company in the world. They had already bought Columbia Pictures in 1989, Sony Imagesoft was setup in the same year, and they at one point were developing an add-on for Nintendo which as it turned out, was the basis of the PSX/Playstation.

So I firmly place the blame on Commodore, plenty of people were rooting for Commodore to do something great, plenty of people WANTED Commodore to do something great........ Commodore just blithely went on and ignored everyone.

Christ, I look back and think the Amiga would have been in better hands if Atari owned it. You only have to look at the improvements in the STe over the STfm and the potential of the Falcon to realise that.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing....at least Commodore got the Amiga to market, Atari would have sat on it or made some awful console with no 3rd party support like they did with all their consoles bar the VCS.
I aint saying Commodore were great far from it, but look at the ST, 10 or so revisions of hardware, single sided floppy drives, different configrations of machines, it was all a mess and took them a good 4 years to a have machine to even challenge the Amiga, by then consumers had spoken and had enough of Atari, and the Falcon was a bodged 32bit machine with a 16bit databus, theres no way in hell id rather have Atari in charge of Amiga!

Re the A1200/A4000 as you prob know Commodore were in trouble long before and with the delayed chipset, they had to get more hardware out asap, so whilst the A600 was a disaster, the CDTV was a risk that didnt pay off, but they didnt lose the $1 billion Philips did with the CD-i, the AA machines were underpowered by the time they came out, but thats more to bad luck with the delayed chipset than the machines, even when Commodore went bankrupt the UK branch was in profit.

Btw everyone underestimated Sony, with good reason, they had been making godawful games for a few years and previous companies of the like making consoles had been laughed off, why would it be different for Sony?
Old 15 November 2014, 11:31   #46
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Lets start from the beginning...

A long long time a go,
there was a mouse!
Then the Joystick.
The 3.5 floppies.
The Ctrl + A + A combo.
Today.
Still learning and finding things out.
It looks like it will never stop.
Amiga Forever!

____
________
Old 18 November 2014, 09:27   #47
tin
eezeenow!

Above a lot of other things (probably all of which already has been said in this thread) it taught me what a proper decent operating system should work like for the user. There are a lot of lessons in there that seem to have been forgotten by today's developers.
Old 19 November 2014, 12:30   #48
Superman

The Amiga taught me that there were some very talented programmers and musicians out there extracting the very best that the hardware could offer.

Oh and there were some talented bedroom hackers out there also