English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 31 October 2002, 14:27   #21
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

@Ian. Thanks for the links! Unfortunately, the ones for Snoopy Tennis & Donky Kong Jr.,led to the site I'd found previously that'd had the buggy versions that froze on Win 98.

However, whomever did the Oil Panic translation,(one I did own), did a terrific job, it's exactly like I remember. Got up to 954 odd points & that included two misses before I'd worked out the controls!

Oil Panic was the 1st "official" nintendo game,I had, along with Mario's cement factory later on. However my first LCD game was from some obscure mob called Gakken, & was a game called "Circus". You had to guide a trapeze artist right to left & left to right of the screen operating the clowns moving the trampoline. Anyone who's played the bonus section of Creatures 2 on the C64 would have a fair idea of what it was like!

Also had a couple of the larger "colour" arcade games (which used C sized batteries). One an "official" Pac Man game, & another of a game called "Caveman". You had to fill your cave up by stealing eggs from a dinosaur before her breath hatched them. And you had to watch out for lava & Flying Pterodactyls stealing your eggs too!

Of course in those days things like the C64 & even the Vic 20 seemed an expensive luxury pipe dream!
Old 01 November 2002, 11:38   #22
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Happy

Just an amendment to the above posting. The simluators on that site actually worked Ian,(unlike on the actual author's own site!).
Just been playing Donkey Kong Jr. & Snoopy Tennis again, yay!
Thanks Ian!
Old 01 November 2002, 14:57   #23
VermillioN

@Miggy2TheMax

If I had THAT build at THAT age then u should be able to see me from your house

Old 05 November 2002, 11:53   #24
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Nice memories in this thread! I still have Donkey Kong Jr, Thief in the Garden, and another game where you were a cat and had to catch mice which were falling from the ceiling and bouncing off a table. I spent hours on those games!!! I spend hours on Snake, on my mobile phone, too.

Donkey Kong Jr has the fondest memories for me. I loved enabling double points, and then trying to get as much points as possible. I used to love dropping the apple on 3 pirahnas, and constantly catching the swinging key.
Old 05 November 2002, 20:28   #25
oldpx

Everything started with a Game&Watch for me

Let me remember, rhere was a mouse.. trying to brush the teeth of a hippopotamus... trying not to be killed by it. Crazy isn't it?

Old 07 November 2002, 01:15   #26
Miggy2TheMax

I just found that "Game & Watch Gallery 4" for the GBA advance covers all those LCD classics!! .. I'm getting even more motivated in getting a GBA!

http://www.wewp.com/platform/GBA/3835/
Old 07 November 2002, 07:26   #27
Drake1009

My LCD handheld game playing started with some haunted mansion game. The thing was green and had you as a small man trying to get out. I can't quite remember how but it was something about going over the basement swinging from chains I think. Then jumping over something on the next floor, dodging something again and on the top floor you'd be in a sword duel with a skeleton which drops the key to the exit when you completed it.

Then came the classic old ones where you were racing down some road (plenty of those) dodging cars trying to get from one side to the other to refuel and then back to pick up something.

Funniest of the ones I played though would either be Super mario 3 Game & watch or the space panic with a small astronaut going around a space station trying to collect 4 keys in 4 rooms to open the control room.
Old 07 November 2002, 15:12   #28
Medvind

Seriously guys, you haven't played the G&W version of Zelda? I think that was the best G&W game of them all.
Old 07 November 2002, 15:21   #29
Drake1009

Saw the Zelda one in the store but never got around to trying it.

I had one of those Double screen games with Zelda on it though. That was rather fun and I spent hours on it. I wonder where that disappeared to anyway.
Old 22 November 2002, 12:41   #30
Dr.Doom

I had G&W Zelda, DK jr. And Bomb sweeper(i think thats what it was callled, you had to defure bombs and at the end of the level pluck a feather from a crows tail, or somthing. No i am not on drugs, its true.)