English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 January 2021, 16:47   #21
solarmon

I think it has a problem with reading because the picture you have shown does not show a good image for the upper and lower sides of the disk.

It should look something like this:

Index aligned (written by commercial mastering machine, or Greaseweazle):

Not index aligned (i.e. written on Amiga):

Old 20 January 2021, 16:50   #22
solarmon

The upper read (Txx.1) is bad - you can see the flux value for the upper side is significantly lower that for the lower side.
Old 20 January 2021, 20:43   #23
Planetinfinity

Ok, agreed. If I compare your picture with my picture it shows the differences clearly ?
Do you think that the floppy is defect or do you think their is another issue ?
Old 20 January 2021, 22:25   #24
solarmon

For the disk you wrote Amiga Test Kit ADF (on the A1200 itself), if you boot with that disk and use the disk read test, if it returns all green you can be confident that the disk is OK.

If you don't get a good read if that disk with GW then there is something wrong with your GW and/or the drive or the setup of it.

Now there could be alignment differences between your A1200 drive and the GW drive. To eliminate that do the ATKdisk read test and GW read with an original unmodified disk - like a Workbench disk or coverdisk.
Old 22 January 2021, 00:13   #25
Planetinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
For the disk you wrote Amiga Test Kit ADF (on the A1200 itself), if you boot with that disk and use the disk read test, if it returns all green you can be confident that the disk is OK.

If you don't get a good read if that disk with GW then there is something wrong with your GW and/or the drive or the setup of it.

Now there could be alignment differences between your A1200 drive and the GW drive. To eliminate that do the ATKdisk read test and GW read with an original unmodified disk - like a Workbench disk or coverdisk.
The issue in relation with gw drives me crazy. I used the Amiga Test Kit on my A1200 and all returns green during the read test.

I did a new test with a external Power Supply I bought with the kryoflux with the floppy drive I used for the last test but the result is the same as before.

I additionally removed the drive from the external Amiga floppy drive (that worked before) and used it with the gw but I am not able to even read the testdisk beause of an error message. I already check whether I used the cable in the right direction.
Old 22 January 2021, 02:29   #26
solarmon

If you use the Amiga drive, make sure you set the drive select on the Amiga drive or with Greaseweazle - see https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle/wiki/Drive-Select

Also, make sure it does not require 12V - the A500 Chinon drives required 12V too, but I think th A1200 drives don't.
Old 25 January 2021, 21:04   #27
Planetinfinity

Hello Solarmon,

thank you very much for your hint.

I used the gw read/write --drive 0 <filename> option an the powersupply. Afterwards I was able to write a ADF file for the testdisk and a ipf file to a disk.

Crazy enough, I am able to write to disk but when I read from disk I am not able to start it in fs-uae and I am not able to write it afterwards. For example if I write the testdisk via adf file to disk (and successfully check it within the testdisk) and gw read it and then write it again to the same disk I only see a complete red screen when I boot from the same disk.

I know all the descriptions sounds crazy but at least the first step is working with a real amiga drive.

Do you have a hint for the reading process ?
Old 25 January 2021, 21:59   #28
solarmon

Again, you need to check the read back image in HxC and make sure it is error free. If it is not then you will/may have problems using the image in emulation and to use it to write to disk.

When you read back the disk I suggest you use SCP format and load it in to HxC to view and analyse.