English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 January 2014, 22:44   #61
Neil79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Speculator
Spectaculator is brilliant but then it isn't free, it's also on the Android but that's a free version
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 January 2014, 22:45   #62
s2325
Zone Friend

You mean Spectaculator?
Old 09 January 2014, 23:33   #63
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Spectaculator is brilliant but then it isn't free, it's also on the Android but that's a free version
Define "free". You can install it for nothing, but if you want to play with anything other than the default bundled games, you have to purchase. Worth it though, the emulator is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
I do use zxspin for scenedemo stuff that looks best with the gigascreen filter however its rzx support is quite broken.
One day I'll get it fixed... You never know

D.
Old 09 January 2014, 23:36   #64
Neil79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Define "free". You can install it for nothing, but if you want to play with anything other than the default bundled games, you have to purchase. Worth it though, the emulator is very good.
Quote:
Spectaculator is distributed as fully-enabled, 30-day Try ā€˜nā€™ Buy software. This means that you can use it free of charge for a period of 30 days from the date of installation. After this time you must purchase a copy to continue to use it.
That "free"
Old 10 January 2014, 16:46   #65
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
That "free"
I was talking about the Android version - no 30 day grace period on that one!

D.
Old 12 January 2014, 00:45   #66
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
You mean Spectaculator?
Nope

http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/Speculator
Old 12 January 2014, 01:43   #67
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
It's very good, but at least on my emulation it runs too fast and I don't find a way to change that.
Old 12 January 2014, 12:16   #68
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I remember starting out with Spectrum emulation way back on an A600 with Spectrum Emulator 1.7. Barely ran half the speed of a spectrum, but it was good that I could import all my games from cassette tape via my techno sound sampler. Amiga was pretty much locked up while the game was loading. This was way before the internet where you could just download every game
Old 12 January 2014, 20:43   #69
BarryB
Amigaholic

I still have a registered version 2.01a of the DOS Speccy emulator Z80 by Gerton Lunter complete with the tape interface built into a 25pin DSUB shell that plugged into the printer port. It won't run under VMWare Player in Win XP (says my computer is too fast) but still runs OK under DOSBox. This was registered via B.G. Services here in the UK, I'd forgotten all about this until I read this post.

Old 15 January 2014, 06:56   #70
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I still have a registered version 2.01a of the DOS Speccy emulator Z80 by Gerton Lunter complete with the tape interface built into a 25pin DSUB shell that plugged into the printer port. It won't run under VMWare Player in Win XP (says my computer is too fast) but still runs OK under DOSBox. This was registered via B.G. Services here in the UK, I'd forgotten all about this until I read this post.
Cool toy you have there!

Where do you guys download new copies of SpecEMU? I love this emulator, but its official page (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.woodmass/specemu.html) is not updated for ages, and I saw that there are newer (Beta) versions floating on the net. I found one on a russian site, its version 3.1, but I dont know if it was released recently.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 15 January 2014 at 09:07.
Old 15 January 2014, 11:52   #71
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Cool toy you have there!

Where do you guys download new copies of SpecEMU? I love this emulator, but its official page (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.woodmass/specemu.html) is not updated for ages, and I saw that there are newer (Beta) versions floating on the net. I found one on a russian site, its version 3.1, but I dont know if it was released recently.
http://www..com/download/ed....1.b220913.zip

D.
Old 15 January 2014, 15:48   #72
Bastich

I recently started using ZXSpin on my W7 system and I am very impressed. It's far far better than the antique WSpeccy I was using previously. It's made me spend a good number of hours sorting out my z80 / sna / tap collection, plus it supports the tzx format as well
Old 15 January 2014, 20:59   #73
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I`m really impressed with ZXSpin too, been using it now for a couple of years and it fulfils all my nerdy needs. On the subject of Speccy emulators I`m wondering which is the most accurate available for the PC?
Old 16 January 2014, 07:50   #74
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
I`m really impressed with ZXSpin too, been using it now for a couple of years and it fulfils all my nerdy needs. On the subject of Speccy emulators I`m wondering which is the most accurate available for the PC?
Well, SpecEMU is the only Windows program that emulates the TK90X brazillian ZX Spectrum clone. Man, what admirable computer! This computer is essentially a ZX Spectrum, but its ROM contains a graphical UDG editor controlled by the keyboard or joystick.

And EightyOne 1.0a emulates many machines, like the Jupiter Ace, a ZX Spectrum that instead of BASIC, it has FORTH on its ROM. It comes with TK90X ROMs but I didnt tried it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TK90X
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Ace
http://jupiter-ace.co.uk/
http://www.aptanet.org/eightyone/

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 16 January 2014 at 09:01.
Old 16 January 2014, 11:47   #75
Jason H

FUSE. Just about the best emulator if your on a Mac like me.
http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net
Old 16 January 2014, 11:49   #76
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
SpecEMU is the most accurate, closely followed by the rest of the "current" emulators - ZXSpin (if I might be a tad immodest) is extremely accurate also, and supports a wide range of extras that make emulation simpler - and for loading tapes, nothing loads as fast as ZXSpin's byteloader, though we've given the source out to a number of developers so that feature will be along soon.

D.
Old 16 January 2014, 12:11   #77
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Does anyone know if there is a disk image of U.N squadron for the +3 downloadable anywhere? The tzx version decided to crash on me loading the last level. Some odd reason its been denied distribution :/ I do find it odd that in the emu scene, only the spectrum suffers from this distribution denied stuff, and maybe laserdisc.
Old 16 January 2014, 12:35   #78
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

@Leandro/Dunny

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I must say SpecEMU sounds interesting. I especially like the banner heading for the website:

"Welcome to one of the world's worst ZX Spectrum emulators. It's so bad, it doesn't really deserve a home page..."

Old 16 January 2014, 15:45   #79
Neil79

I wish someone would work on a better performing Amstrad or Spectrum Emulator for Lower and Mid range Amiga's
Old 16 January 2014, 17:55   #80
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Ok then, so the best current free Spectrum emus for Windows would be (by .exe file date order): SpecEMU, ZXMAK2, ZXSpin ...

I have tested some spectrum demos on all and found some pluses and minuses on each:

SpecEMU-3.1.b220913 (a newer version exist -> see below)
---------------------
+ still fresh (exe file date = 2013.09.22)
+ seems accurate
+ have nice GUI
- not so good in full screen mode (I got some strange line on right screen side)
- no Flicker fixer mode
- normal speed loading mode still = WIP (when enabled it crashes the emu on my laptop)
- Vsync mode use a lots of CPU power compared to below emus

ZXMAK2757
-----------
+ still fresh (exe file date = 2013.06.29)
+ seems very accurate
+ very good in full screen mode with 3 scale options (stretch, keep proportion, fixed pixel size)
- but not so nice GUI
- tape loading speed is by default fixed to something between normal and fast
(also this could be + to someone as it still keeps original tape load feeling and it is not so slow as normal mode)

ZXSpin_07s
-----------
+ not so fresh (exe file date = 2009.12.01)
+ seems accurate enough
+ have nice GUI and lots of options to change/adjust
- full screen mode doesnt work on my laptop at all
- AY8910 emulation doesnt sound very nice if compared with above emus

So my choice would be ZXMAK2 because of nice full screen mode and other screen options !!!

p.s.
Does anyone know where the SpecEMU saves its configuration settings ... in registry or somewhere else ?! if in registry but where ? cant find it ...
I did some change in emu settings and now it crashes always after it starts !!! I hope if erase this settings it will start to work again.

btw. seems a newer version of SpecEmu-3.1.b230913.zip exist !!! (just googled)

SpecEmu v3.1 build 23/09/13 -> changelog.txt
"Fixed an access violation with the "Enable dodgy televisions set" option enabled (thanks, Chris Cowley)"

EDIT: Hm, very interesting as this new SpecEMU-3.1.b230913 now works but one day older SpecEMU-3.1.b220913 still dont?! ...
it seems they do not use the same config file or place for storing configuration files?!

EDIT2: I was stupid ... its too obvious, should read better changelog.txt:
when now disable dodgy televisions set in newer version, the older version works again.

Last edited by amilo3438; 16 January 2014 at 19:21.
AdSense AdSense