English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 October 2012, 20:19   #21
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I pretty much remade the fast-scrolling level from Project X (where you collect the gems, itself a fairly blatant rip-off of Turrican II but never mind) in pure AMOS, 50fps scrolling with no asm.
http://hol.abime.net/4180 ?
Old 06 October 2012, 20:25   #22
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The red collored background in dithell isnt copper, its called plasma effect. its precalculated picture with collor cycling.
In that post we were talking respect a previous post about KillingGameShow water reflection effect. Not about Dithell..
Old 06 October 2012, 20:42   #23
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Nice! I see I wasn't the only one, then. It has a longplay: [ Show youtube player ]

My version had gems to collect and was more like Turrican level 1 graphics, I never got round to doing collision detection on it, I used to start these projects just to see if I could do it and never develop them into proper products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
In that post we were talking respect a previous post about KillingGameShow water reflection effect. Not about Dithell..
It took me a second to work out what you were referring to, it was in this other thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66150
Old 06 October 2012, 21:20   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Some games have that nice underwater sound effect made by enabling the sound filter. Lotus uses it while driving through tunnels.
Old 06 October 2012, 22:36   #25
frikilokooo

The dynamic Copper background of Fire and Ice,are there more games with this effect? The wavy underwater world is very impressive too.Following with Graftgold,the effect of shell casings ejected of Virocop and more stuff in this game.
Old 07 October 2012, 00:44   #26
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Isn't it amazing that most of the companies mentioned in the "large and pointless status panels" threads (Tiertex et al) are not at all mentioned in this "special effects" thread!
Old 07 October 2012, 00:45   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'd like to see someone pointlng out one of those 'quality details' in an Ocean game actually
Old 07 October 2012, 10:06   #28
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I'd like to see someone pointlng out one of those 'quality details' in an Ocean game actually

See the outro in SnowBros. A lot of pixel zooming effects.
Old 07 October 2012, 10:33   #29
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
See the outro in SnowBros. A lot of pixel zooming effects.
Curiously a game which were not published.
Gary Bracey himself complained on OceanFrance perfectionism.. because it produced they always were behind deadline.

Curiosly the detail which were overlooked were that Ocean didnt secured the SnowBros nor LiquidKids license.. surely he was busy sucking balls to Hollywood producers.
Old 07 October 2012, 11:32   #30
Retro1234
Phone Homer

R-Type 2 parallax
Old 07 October 2012, 13:05   #31
Photon

The huge bosses in the Turrican series surprised me. Basically because only 3 game programmers ever out of thousands would stop and think before calling the generic BlitBob routine and do it with demoscene thinking instead.

Apart from the small niceties in Paradroid 90 (and indeed in other Graftgold games) mentioned, I remember noting that their sound effects system was more flexible and had a synth-sample hybrid with LFO sound that sounded more interesting and refined than the stock sample or synth SFX in other games. I got so inspired by it that I made my own SFX system used in my unreleased games!
Old 07 October 2012, 13:22   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I got so inspired by it that I made my own SFX system used in my unreleased games!
/me *sobs* a little

You and Leffmann should really get crackin' and finally make *THAT* Amiga game
Old 07 October 2012, 13:27   #33
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Yes the sound system of some games are surprising, like Ninja Warriors had software FM synth... just that game musicians took the time to make such things is amazing :-)

"Ronald Pieket Weeserik said: "For the Ninja Warriors music, Taito provided me with sheet music, some of the more distinctive samples (percussion, vocoder effects, koto, etc), and a cassette tape for reference. I wrote the Amiga music driver, and a software FM synth to provide the missing instrument sounds (lead synth, bass). I then transcribed and entered the performance data as well. So you could argue that I was the performing artist on the Amiga version" "
Old 07 October 2012, 14:59   #34
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

The water reflections in Nebulus 1 were a rather cool surprise after having only previously played the C64 version.
Old 07 October 2012, 18:06   #35
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
The water reflections in Nebulus 1 were a rather cool surprise after having only previously played the C64 version.
The detail that I liked on Nebulus 1 was that when the doors came round, you could see through the other side. Nebulus 2 doesn't seem to do that, for some reason.
Old 07 October 2012, 19:05   #36
JudasEZT

Jim Power is plenty of details, but one of the better was the sinus of the background fire.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by JudasEZT; 07 October 2012 at 19:11.
Old 08 October 2012, 05:53   #37
desiv

I do remember really liking the way the logs moved independently when you walked over the log bridges in Leander...

I seem to remember walking back and forth over those bridges when I first came across that...

Not incredible, I know, but I was (easily) impressed by it..

desiv
Old 08 October 2012, 10:45   #38
frikilokooo

Goal! is a game that has an elaborate physic engine ever seen in another game of the time,they are little details that affect the gameplay:

-The best known is the acceleration and deceleration of the players,even of the frames of animation,reminiscent of Super Mario Bros.

-The collision engine takes into account the impact velocity of the bodies.For instance if a player pushes another from behind the player will be moved(forcing the throw for instance),if the collision is head-on then the players will stand and the ball will move in the direction of the faster player creating a split ball.Besides in this kind of actions the player can be shot down,it depends of the aggression level of each player.

-The player's body serves to protect the ball,you can turn the player standing to keep the ball.

-The ball can bounce off a player if it goes too fast.

-The ball is pushed forward when the player has a lot of speed,losing the ball handling,when the player reaches the ball retrieves the ball handling.This is where it appears one of the best details:if your turn at the right moment you can dribble without losing the ball.
Old 08 October 2012, 22:20   #39
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Not much a visual thing, but I like Populous II with the summoning of plague. Crows apperaing over the houses with their very own sound.

Visually Overkill is somewhat professional with it's special scroll we seen only once ever in Shadow of the Beast, only wirh less colour.

Elfmania - each level gfx due to their special 3D lookalike.
Old 09 October 2012, 08:40   #40
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Almost everything in Settlers.