English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 February 2009, 12:05   #81
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by off1k View Post
Wheres my holographic 3d screen with 3d OS in full colour and virtual keyboard and pointing device
Hehe At least a 3D OS (one that really uses the possibilities) would do for me
Old 14 February 2009, 14:23   #82
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by off1k View Post
Wheres my holographic 3d screen with 3d OS in full colour and virtual keyboard and pointing device
Pointing device? Why do you need a pointing device for that, if you have your finger and your nose to point at?
Old 14 February 2009, 14:25   #83
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Oh! you insult me more than once!
This is a subject dear to you, right? Certainly worth gettiing riled up for. ...
Go make love to whatever stupid system of choice you have... I'll get on with real life and ignore this thread, mkay?
Feel free to ignore this thread, seeing that you don't have any real arguments it's probably the best choice for you anyway. I couldn't care less about this subject, if it wasn't for your "questionable" replies here I would not even have bothered to answer.
And just in case you wonder, I just use whatever OS I think is adequate.
Old 12 March 2009, 00:23   #84
Photon

An adequate OS is one that runs the programs you like, either by invoking commands or double-clicking icons. Well, that criterion is filled by the first personal computer.

Graphical OSes. What is the real difference between any modern OS and Workbench? Many apps at one time, not letting a rogue app hang the computer, people still coding stuff for it, and drivers for new hardware.

Mac OS is pretty good at the first while Windows' ability scales with RAM. For the second, most modern OSes are decent at it, while AmigaOS will crash pretty easily if the app is not well coded. As for the third, with Mac OS you get what paid coders make, while for Windows and Linux there's a zillion apps to try and uninstall. For AmigaOS, not much new development is happening. As for the fourth, it's a hard stretch for anyone to port drivers for AmigaOS, not quite as hard for Linux and Mac OS. The only ones to rely on there are companies still making money off Amiga.

VM is a copout in place of decent memory handling by the app itself. An XP PC with 3GB RAM will do fine without it. Excluded are activities like rendering and video editing. Turn it off.
Old 12 March 2009, 01:34   #85
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
the things I like about the amiga os is
Its fast
Its light weight, a whole system+apps+a few games < 250 meg GREAT can use HD space for what it was intended for to store my media on
Prefs The Hours I`ve lost makein WB my own
and the good old assign comand what a great idea that was
Old 12 March 2009, 07:42   #86
Claw22000

Amiga OS is perfect on my Amiga 1200. On my PC I have Vista Ultimate. Doesn't have any issues playing video, games, music, or surfing. Multitasking I don't know what every one is talking about it being not as good as Amiga OS. I have 5 servers running and I still play games with no slow down even Crysis. I love both systems for different reasons. My amiga plays all the games I grew up with better than my old PC. The graphics are better as well. But for today's world Vista Ultimate works exactly as I need it too and not slow at all. I have a Phenom 9950 Quad 8GB Ram and a Gforece 9600GTX. Maybe its the Ultimate part and yeah I spent the extra $150 for it. Maybe its the Quad core dividing up the resources. Or maybe I just don't click yes to every little pop up that comes my way while surfing.

I wouldn't give up either system. I need both. Vista will die when MS says they need more money. And Amiga OS will be with me till I'm the one that dies.
-=edit=-
Oh and Mac OS. I don't like Mac just can't do 1/2 the things my PC can. No games either. well not many anyway. Software pours out of PCs and Mac just waits for someone to actually give a shit. Once in a wile someone says awe poor Mac user let me make a port for you.

Last edited by Claw22000; 12 March 2009 at 07:46. Reason: Forgot MACinCrap
Old 12 March 2009, 21:10   #87
Slayer
Amiga Member

I don't know what you're all on about, 2 years ago I was using AmigaOS3.9, 1 year ago I was using AmigaOS4.x on Classic and AmigaOne and now I'm using AmigaOS4.1 on my SAM.

AmigaOS is far from dead and it's still evolving, you people are really quite silly, you are staying here with your older Amiga systems (or far worse don't even own actual Amiga hardware) and trying to accept AmigaOS is dead.

The new hardware has a slower CPU compared to what is on the market today but what does that have to do with a functional OS? AmigaOS is snappy and lightweight so even a 677mhz PPC processor provides good performance.

Look at this remark I randomly cut out:

Quote:
If only Amiga didnt fall on its arse and was still developing the OS and hardware, I think the Amigas OS would be the very close to what I expect today but sadly nope and never will.
I don't think some of you know what planet you're on. The Amiga is probably far better off without you.

Last edited by Slayer; 12 March 2009 at 21:37.
Old 13 March 2009, 02:30   #88
ImmortalA1000

What I loved about the original Amiga OS was that it just worked, and I mean it did its job. I had WB 1.2 on my A1000 and then 1.3 and it was fine. I never had to run chkdsk, never had corrupt files on shutting it down, no corrupt registry and no stupid drivers blah blah all the crap we are putting up with Windows nowadays.

The OS was elegant in its coding design and it was also revolutionary because it multitasked. A miraculous achievement for a machine with no hardware memory protection at all. Not until Win XP did PCs even approach the simple elegant multitasking of WB 1.3

And I really liked the fact that I could use 4 different programs in 4 different screen resolutions as well as running them all at the same time. Wow what idiots bought Windows 1/2/3 hahaha fools!

Long live the memory of Dr Tim King and Tripos
Old 13 March 2009, 05:20   #89
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

It would have been a bit later and likely much better without Tripos. That was the bad part of the OS.

AmigaOS is good, but on the whole it's not really the OS that is the problem (apart from no memory protection so that big file you're working on with all your programs laid out on the screens and open how you want them - i.e. your workspace - that you have to setup all over again if your computer crashes - also no hibernate or desktop snapshot mode when you restart the computer). And don't tell me to only run programs that don't crash. When you run so many programs who knows when that little bug will rear its head in the program that has never crashed. Also if you are a developer, you are bound to accidentally write some alpha-code that will crash the whole system.

Mostly it is the lack of enough apps that actually run on the OS. This is also the reason why I have installed OS4.0 but not really used it much compared with OS3.9. The best new apps I see for it are OWB and Hollywood.

Yeah, sure the AmigaOS is a joy to use in its fast responsiveness for the speed of the hardware and the not so many layered system software so you can get to the nuts and bolts of it. But without enough apps, you can only use it in combination with Windows/MacOS/Linux. For example, personally, I need to use Java for work, like to be able to see Flash in browsers so I can actually see what the webpage is displaying, like to be able to open video and image files of all kinds of codecs and file types. Like to update the firmware of my DVD writers for better compatibility. etc etc. The OS is technically capable of doing all this, but only if coders can write all those apps, but it is not justified to put in the effort for such a small market with little to no $ rewards when ppl have milllions of other things to do.
Old 13 March 2009, 14:05   #90
Madcrow

There's plenty of good stuff. The way it presents disks is very good, beating out the simplistic CP/M-derived system that still plagues Windows and the "lets pretend all your disks are one big one" system of *nix. ARexx is also very well done. Datatypes are still basically unmatched anywhere else in their usefulness and awesomeness. BOOPSI and the ability to add widgets to the the system so easily is also pretty cool. Personally I view even the lack of memory protection as a feature: it DRASTICALLY reduces the overhead involved with system, allowing for higher performance. The only real weak points are the crappy USB support and the crappy printing system.
Old 13 March 2009, 18:15   #91
Skope
Protracker

The best part of it is that is FUN to use. It was always fun, it's quite charming, it's small and efficient, has plenty of good inventions (above mentioned assign command, tooltypes f.ex) and did I say it's fun? Ofcourse it can never match an OS by todays standards, but for me this is the perfect OS (talking about OS1.3 here) to sit and mess about in and just... ehm... have fun?
Old 14 March 2009, 18:48   #92
Predabot

Hey Skope, what's your opinion on AOS3.5 and 3.9 then?
Old 14 March 2009, 19:13   #93
Skope
Protracker

If you must know, I think 3.9 is a bunch of icons and patches for 3.1 on a CD. I bought the CD once and I'm not gonna touch it again. 3.1 is as modern as it gets for me. However I never was a Workbench type of guy anyway and quite frankly not much for harddrives either. Always thought it was boring old men who used those back in the day.

Need I say I love floppys???
Old 14 March 2009, 20:38   #94
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I like the Amiga OS and although i have had it for years, i still don't know all of its functions but this is mainly because i used my miggys for gaming and never really had to use workbench unless i was installing a game to the hard drive or browsing through cover disks.... so i still have alot to learn regarding all its functions and stuff

I know a hell of alot more about windows etc than i do about the miggy OS which i have had the longest!!
Old 14 March 2009, 20:50   #95
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope View Post
Need I say I love floppys???
Don't tell me that you like the feel of a foppie also...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41555&highlight=foppie
Old 14 March 2009, 21:00   #96
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
Don't tell me that you like the feel of a foppie also...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41555&highlight=foppie
Hahaha that thread was good fun!

Old 15 March 2009, 08:17   #97
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

What I like about AmigaOS....

Little things, like being able to make additional hard drive partitions bootable, without formatting (and thus erasing) the drive. various key-combos like shift-backspace to erase text left of the cursor.... Being able to type foreign characters fairly easily (once you know about the dead keys) I know other OS's can make these characters, but how do I type them? Switching between screens of differing resolutons has been mentioned...
Old 18 March 2009, 11:10   #98
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
It would have been a bit later and likely much better without Tripos. That was the bad part of the OS.

AmigaOS is good, but on the whole it's not really the OS that is the problem (apart from no memory protection so that big file you're working on with all your programs laid out on the screens and open how you want them - i.e. your workspace - that you have to setup all over again if your computer crashes - also no hibernate or desktop snapshot mode when you restart the computer). And don't tell me to only run programs that don't crash. When you run so many programs who knows when that little bug will rear its head in the program that has never crashed. Also if you are a developer, you are bound to accidentally write some alpha-code that will crash the whole system.

Mostly it is the lack of enough apps that actually run on the OS. This is also the reason why I have installed OS4.0 but not really used it much compared with OS3.9. The best new apps I see for it are OWB and Hollywood.

Yeah, sure the AmigaOS is a joy to use in its fast responsiveness for the speed of the hardware and the not so many layered system software so you can get to the nuts and bolts of it. But without enough apps, you can only use it in combination with Windows/MacOS/Linux. For example, personally, I need to use Java for work, like to be able to see Flash in browsers so I can actually see what the webpage is displaying, like to be able to open video and image files of all kinds of codecs and file types. Like to update the firmware of my DVD writers for better compatibility. etc etc. The OS is technically capable of doing all this, but only if coders can write all those apps, but it is not justified to put in the effort for such a small market with little to no $ rewards when ppl have milllions of other things to do.
To be fair C= went belly up in 94 and were in dire straights long before that. Most of the problems you are talking about relate to the fact that the OS was not actively improved much by C= since early 90s and the technology you talk about is from much later developments (like the age of the internet etc)

Also memory protection without hardware memory protection is an exercise in futility....even XP SP3 can be instantly blue screened by a 1kb application because PCs have no hardware memory protection.

*IF* C= had developed Kickstart/Workbench and the hardware at the same sort of speed and effort that the Wintel and Apple competition had we would have many things in there sooner. I was only comparing KS/WB from 85 to what the competition had which was DOS&Windows/MAC OS/GEM and none of those even came close to being better, not even close. There were plenty of applications for the Amiga from SB Professional, various graphics packages, Final Writer/Wordsworth etc etc all happily multitasking.

If the internet phenomenon had happened just 5 years earlier then the Amiga would have still been around a bit longer, and if C= had used the profits to make faster Amigas with faster CPUs then video/mp3 would be possible too and it would still be around today. All 95% of people do on their computers is surf the net, exchange emails, talk on msn/yahoo/aim, watch video, play mp3s, write bullshit on facebook/myspace etc. This is why current £299 laptops are pathetic heaps of junk with Celeron M processors and shared memory crappy graphics. 5 year old laptops run games/serious graphical applications FASTER than todays hunks of but hell people are clueless in general which is why 95% of them use Windows on crap hardware to do stuff you can do on a Pentium III laptop for about £50 nowadays
Old 18 March 2009, 16:15   #99
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@ Immortal

Yes, well said, except in my opinion memory protection does have some real benefits - apparently OS4 results in less crashes due to some semi-protection. Not sure which coding errors that OS will or won't protect from though. Yes I am also very familiar with blue screens, my XP SP2 laptop blue screened twice last week for different reasons - once I started using a hardware (USB-Gigabit Ethernet) with driver just installed without rebooting, other inserted my PCMCIA-CF adapter into PCMCIA slot. But I would say that it crashes MUCH less than my Amiga (I don't always use the same stable programs, being a coder and interested in many different programs).
Old 19 March 2009, 11:16   #100
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
something i forgot to mention

IFF