English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 February 2015, 21:37   #541
dJOS

ACA500 tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
Oh, so no just RAM expansion, but you mean another ACA (1221 - the one with unblocking features)... 80 EUR, sorry, that makes whole thing twice as expensive as single ACA500 only for a sake of more RAM (otherwise ACA500 is just enough to have) and whole expansion gets too big (for my personal preferention).

I guess you overestimate (maybe for a reason ) cost and trouble of soldering one or two smd RAM chips (5 mins of work, soldering smd is no rocket science in 2015) to ACA500 which together with firmware upgrade would do 4 MB which would be fine for most Amiga 500 users, I guess.
Finding someone to solder SMD is no big deal, but... I guess it's more of a marketing that ACA500 was reduced to 2 MB in first place. No offence, while you obviously produce and offer good stuff, it's right of a potential customer to comment on it anyway

I'd be more than happy though to buy "official" 4MB FAST RAM (chips) upgrade (+firmware) for ACA500 at reasonable price if it ever happens (warranty is expiring in time anyway). For both cost and cosmetic purposes - not to make big A500 even bigger

Myself and others had the same criticism of the aca500 when the spec was finalised, too little ram for the money and way too expensive once you add an aca12xx to it.

It's a shame as the product design is a good one overall - it certainly stopped me from buying them for my Amiga 500's, I bought c.f.-ide 4mb expansions from kipper instead.

That said, my a1200 with aca1220 is a great combo and the upgrade was worth every cent.
Old 13 February 2015, 11:25   #542
Jacques

If reducing ACA500 to 2 from 4 MB was explained as cost reduction(?), what to say about doubling cost of ACA500 by adding another ACA to get sensible amount of RAM for WHDLoad. Surely additional 2 MB RAM with firmware allowing use of it wouldn't double the price which OBVIOUSLY ACA12XY do, to say the least.

It's okay if it's fair and straight, but explaining it as cost-cutting and "favour" for customer while it works the other way round is not honest.

Warranty is not lasting ever, personally I wouldn't care about it anyway having chance to make ACA500 "all around solution" with 4 MB, probably others also wouldn't.
What's wrong with customer willing to take his "enourmous" risk ( ) soldering additional 2 MB RAM to ACA500 on his own or by some fellow technician (no need to bother Jens and procedure itself is highly over-demonized).

There is only one trouble, we'd need MODIFIED FIRMWARE which ALLOWS use of additional RAM chips that are missing from production ACA500.

Would such fimware be provided? That's the question.
I know my post probably is not the most welcome, but I don't see why users couldn't comment on the situation (2 MB only pushing many users to buy additional ACAs). Why should we all be conformists after all
Indivision has the right to have their business model, we have the right to comment on it

There could be possibly some compromise and "meet half-way" solution profitting Indivision too, by selling ACA500 OFFICIAL cheap enhancement-kits consisting of missing RAM chips, manual and modified firmware ("unlocking" feature to use 4 MB), with clear indication that it ends warranty and is done at user's own risk. Yeah, I'd buy such fair & square solution.

Last edited by Jacques; 13 February 2015 at 12:01.
Old 14 February 2015, 17:05   #543
Photon

Jaques: Well, regarding raising ACA500 2MB limit, all of this is what Jens proposes for his coming cards, except that you wouldn't have to order and solder extra parts...

So maybe it won't meet with as much resistance as expected in the end. If you can't afford the top end model this month, you can still order it while there are cards left in stock, and upgrade with a digital download next month. Meanwhile, you can use it and check that it works, and will find out if you need the upgrade or if it's fine for your use.

I eyeballed the unlocking of existing RAM especially, but the "scheme" is growing on me.

In other words, if Jens had made the ACA500 cards with this method, if 4MB was possible the 4MB would already be there and we could all have upgraded by now

Last edited by Photon; 14 February 2015 at 17:16.
Old 18 February 2015, 05:02   #544
mazxim

Quote:
If reducing ACA500 to 2 from 4 MB was explained as cost reduction(?), what to say about doubling cost of ACA500 by adding another ACA to get sensible amount of RAM for WHDLoad. Surely additional 2 MB RAM with firmware allowing use of it wouldn't double the price which OBVIOUSLY ACA12XY do, to say the least.

It's okay if it's fair and straight, but explaining it as cost-cutting and "favour" for customer while it works the other way round is not honest.

Warranty is not lasting ever, personally I wouldn't care about it anyway having chance to make ACA500 "all around solution" with 4 MB, probably others also wouldn't.
What's wrong with customer willing to take his "enourmous" risk ( ) soldering additional 2 MB RAM to ACA500 on his own or by some fellow technician (no need to bother Jens and procedure itself is highly over-demonized).

There is only one trouble, we'd need MODIFIED FIRMWARE which ALLOWS use of additional RAM chips that are missing from production ACA500.

Would such fimware be provided? That's the question.
I know my post probably is not the most welcome, but I don't see why users couldn't comment on the situation (2 MB only pushing many users to buy additional ACAs). Why should we all be conformists after all
Indivision has the right to have their business model, we have the right to comment on it

There could be possibly some compromise and "meet half-way" solution profitting Indivision too, by selling ACA500 OFFICIAL cheap enhancement-kits consisting of missing RAM chips, manual and modified firmware ("unlocking" feature to use 4 MB), with clear indication that it ends warranty and is done at user's own risk. Yeah, I'd buy such fair & square solution.
I have just finished to read the whole thread and... I couldn't agree with you more, Jacques! Only 2MB on this "otherwise" dream card was clearly (..IMHO) a marketing strategy to sell more other ACAs.. but there's no need to get offended, anyone! I've bought it because it's still relatevely cheap and usefull, even with only 2MB, yes. I just see Jacques's point very logical and fair: a single solution to improve the card to it's maximal potential without have to use any additional card.. plus the "fun" to eventually screws up everything with some bad soldering, by accident or whatever.. it doesn't seem to risky anyway, if you have some experience with soldering and general electrotechnics (people often get into retrocomputing because have a general interest into those subjects) ..we really appreciate good hardware but we want also put some fun into retrocomputing!
Old 20 February 2015, 01:12   #545
mazxim

Quote:
I'd really like to get ACA500 to work as expected regarding this very basic boot/reboot functionality and having a nice happy end. Amiga 500 deserves it
Also, I forgot to mention it... I must confirm this early boot menu / software reboot problem with my setup (mobo rev6a, 512k chip + 512k trapdoor, ClassicWB 2.8 on a Kingston 4GB, kick 3.1 with Maprom)

Last edited by mazxim; 20 February 2015 at 01:37.
Old 28 October 2015, 21:59   #546
AGAbunga

Can't make Recovery Disk

Hello folks!

I've just bought an ACA500 and I have an annoying issue with it I couldn't solve.
I can't successfully make a recovery disk! When I'm doing it, it starts to write data, but runs into errors. Finally it says:

"Disk error or too many retries. Disk is not usable."

I don't use a physical floppy disk drive, I use a Gotek floppy emulator. But I believe that the ACA500 has to see it like a physical disk.
Anybody else experienced this problem?

Thanks for answers in advance!

Old 28 October 2015, 23:05   #547
Photon

To rule out the adf image and the Gotek, write to an .adf file that is a copy of a disk image that you have used with the Gotek.

If you've already thought of that, check that the Gotek's + and - buttons work. Sometimes I have to turn the Amiga off and on again for the USB stick to stop blinking (when it shouldn't) and boot a disk. (If someone has info on this behavior please share )
Old 29 October 2015, 07:54   #548
AGAbunga

Hello Photon,

Thanks for your suggestions, but...

1. I use blank .adf which formatted in Workbench with the Gotek. It has to be good.
2. My Gotek works perfectly, never had any button or other problem with it.

Old 29 October 2015, 10:21   #549
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I remember other customers had problems with the Gotek emulator as well, and solved them by using a real floppy drive. We have neither tested, nor advertised it to work with a floppy emulator. Since this is an end-of-life product, this part will most likely not be changed.

We don't even have that floppy emulator for testing. To my knowledge, it's a hacked software, so it may be a good idea to turn to the person who made the Amiga-support of the Gotek emulators. Since the ACA500 works great with a real floppy drive, it's a clear indication that the floppy emulator is not entirely fit for the purpose of replacing a drive.

Jens
Old 29 October 2015, 11:41   #550
demolition
Unregistered User

I thought the Gotek always had problems with writing, unless you are using the HxC firmware?
Old 29 October 2015, 11:43   #551
Superman

The cortex firmware is very unstable when writing to blank ADFs. It does the same when trying to backup a floppy to ADF. The bottom line is that it's not the ACA500 that is the issue.
Old 29 October 2015, 11:51   #552
dJOS

Agreed, I'd suggest switching to the HxC firmware as it's much better quality and actively developed.
Old 29 October 2015, 19:14   #553
AGAbunga

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers!
Jens this is a marvellous card, I love it. Good work!

My Gotek is very stable by the way, never had a problem with it in any circumstances both of write or read data situations.
I had a feeling that the problem is in the ACA500-GOTEK context.
But it is not a real problem for me. It just would be very uncomfortable to disassembly the Amiga, put the real floppy drive back, make a recovery disk, then put the Gotek back again, and assembly the Amiga.
Since a recovery disk of the ACA500 shouldn't be too special, I assume that it is a standard disk.
So, do anybody has a proper copy of it to send me via e-mail? Of course I mean the .ADF file what I need.
Jens, maybe you do! If yes, would you please send it to me, to avoid the lot of work with the Amiga assembling.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04 November 2015, 09:57   #554
CrashMidnick

Jens, any news concerning the update of ACA500 for ACA1221 features compatibility ?
Old 04 November 2015, 12:15   #555
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I have just uploaded a beta version that will most likely solve the problems. However, this may require the MapROM license to be added with a different computer than the A500+ACA500 combination. If MapROM is not licensed, it may lead to problems (not tested).

Jens
Old 04 November 2015, 12:54   #556
CrashMidnick

Ok thanks Jens
Old 07 November 2015, 17:45   #557
TjLaZer

Where can we download this beta? I already licensed mine I just need to set the speed settings when used on my ACA500.
Old 07 November 2015, 18:00   #558
Schoenfeld
electricky.

all tech infos and downloads: wiki.icomp.de

Jens
Old 08 November 2015, 14:49   #559
Dejavu

Send a message via ICQ to Dejavu
Hi Jens,

For this beta update, does it have any improvement other than ACA1221 compability issue?

Do you have any news about ACA500Plus for us?

And it just caught my eyes, There are some infos about ACA1232@50 & 1233@55 on wiki page ACA12XX benchmark table. Are those prices and availability dates real?
Old 08 November 2015, 18:13   #560
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Hi Jens,

For this beta update, does it have any improvement other than ACA1221 compability issue?

Do you have any news about ACA500Plus for us?

And it just caught my eyes, There are some infos about ACA1232@50 & 1233@55 on wiki page ACA12XX benchmark table. Are those prices and availability dates real?

Why wouldn't it be real?

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA1233#55...imited_edition