English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 21 April 2013, 02:51   #41
emufan

i can only test with winuae, but i had the same problem with "not enough space".

*make a copy of your workbench disk first - i guess it will change some files on it - startup-sequence, etc ... *

i then started my system with the floppy of Workbench 3.1 ( it is called main here ) - not the install disk, just the normal workbench disk.

I added a 100 MB hardfile, fastfilesystem, inserting toaster 2.0 disk 1, start installer, and i could choose the newly added 100mb harddrive/partition.

so just try to boot with you workbench floppy, and then insert your toaster install-floppy and start the installer.

you can cancel installation , if you can at least see your patitions in the installer list.

with a second floppy drive it would easier, but just one should work too. give it a try.

if it works from standard wb disk, then something on your boot-harddrive is confusing the toaster installer.

Last edited by emufan; 21 April 2013 at 02:56.
Old 21 April 2013, 04:25   #42
tesla

After not quite knowing what a hardfile is, I googled it.

It appears to me that a hardfile is a winUAE file, if I am right, how do I do it? Is there a tutorial using a real Amiga? I Googled it, and all they talked about was creating one in Amiga UAE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
i can only test with winuae, but i had the same problem with "not enough space".

*make a copy of your workbench disk first - i guess it will change some files on it - startup-sequence, etc ... *

i then started my system with the floppy of Workbench 3.1 ( it is called main here ) - not the install disk, just the normal workbench disk.

I added a 100 MB hardfile, fastfilesystem, inserting toaster 2.0 disk 1, start installer, and i could choose the newly added 100mb harddrive/partition.

so just try to boot with your workbench floppy, and then insert your toaster install-floppy and start the installer.

you can cancel installation , if you can at least see your patitions in the installer list.

with a second floppy drive it would easier, but just one should work too. give it a try.

if it works from standard wb disk, then something on your boot-harddrive is confusing the toaster installer.
Old 21 April 2013, 18:31   #43
emufan

yes, the hardfiles are emulated harddisk , used by winuae and other emulators.
i only want you to show, that a 100MB hardrive ( emulated , using a hardfile) got enough space for the videotoaster 2.0 installation.

so you could try booting with you workbench floppy-disk, then insert the videotoaster-install floppy-disk , and start the installer of course.
now you may see the devices ( dh0 and dh1) in the installer list ( as target devices, where you install the toaster software).

so we can track down the problems with yopur error message.
if you see the target devices,when booting with wb-floppy then something is wrong on harddrive installation.

Problem: if you see the list of target devices, when booting with your wb-floppy-disk, then the installtion may not work as desired. since all those ASSIGNS like LIBS: DEVS: S: FONTS: are now assigned to the floppy disk . but we want you to install on the harddrive.
so we have to bend the assign from floppy to hardrive (DH0). there is a tool on aminet which may help. i'll take a look

maybe this tool - DefSys - can help to bend the assign from df0: to DH0 - after you booted from wb-floppy

Edit: or you may just install the wb31 system again over you existing installation on DH0:

Last edited by emufan; 21 April 2013 at 18:55.
Old 21 April 2013, 18:52   #44
tesla

Ok, I just tried your suggestion.

I booted using my 3.1WB disk, and then tried the install of Videotoaster (1)

No difference, the same problem, not enough space.
Old 21 April 2013, 18:57   #45
emufan

*damn* *head scratching*

Edit: can you try the Toaster 2.0 software? still in the zone , i think. just transfer first disk to your machine and try version 2.0.
Toaster2.0.zip in the zone, extract the zip on windows and transfer Toaster2_1.adf, then write to floppy.
Old 22 April 2013, 04:57   #46
Ami_GFX

Scratching my head too. Doesn't make sense to me at all. You should have an easy install but there's something funny in your system and tracing it isn't easy.

I will play around with the install software a bit more in Winuae and see what I find.
Old 22 April 2013, 06:14   #47
tesla

Earlier, I tried the first install Toaster install disk.

I had the same results.

I agree with your disgnosis, there is something weird going on. I'm speculating that it may be related to my problems on getting my scsi system to work properly.
Old 24 April 2013, 15:54   #48
emufan

any progress? not much i can suggest. maybe just reread the manual, set the jumpers to their default position.
there is also the unitcontrol2 utility to set parameters. to enable setting after a reboot, it should have an entry in the s:startup-sequence or s:user-startup - no clue about what to set as options :/
on aminet there is a replacement, called MyUnitControl.
it just replaces unitcontrol2 ( from blizzard install disk ) , possible it is working better - but then again, i have no real clue what has to be set as option for this command :/

Last edited by emufan; 24 April 2013 at 16:04.
Old 25 April 2013, 04:43   #49
Ami_GFX

Ok, I've run a couple of Winuae experiements and I've got some more information but I'm still scratching my head. I set up a hardfile with 2 partitions similar to your system, installed OS 3.1 and tried the Toaster 2.0 disks and got the not enough space message with 2 almost empty partitions. Since the Toaster 2.0 install worked with OS 2.1, I reformated the Workbench partition and installed OS 2.1 and got the same result. The other OS 2.1 Winuae system had separate hardfiles for the Workbench and Work partitions which would be separate disks on a real Amiga and I said, ah ha, and made a new hardfile with just 1 partition and the Toaster install worked. Ok, for some reason it doesn't like partitioned disks, I thought that was the answer. Then I remembered that 6 years ago, I had no problem installing it on a partitioned disk. This is weird. I don't think it's a problem with your scsi setup. There seems to be some disk partitioning schemes that don't work but I don't know why. If you don't have anything on your Work partition, you could try deleting it and seeing if it installs on the other one. If it does, you can create a new work partition.

Still scratching my head, the more I find out, the less I know for sure.