English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 August 2017, 22:18   #1
jazzyalba2108

Amigakit???

Hi guys, I have recently purchased a PCMPCIA CF CARD adapter for my refurbished AMIGA 600. on its arrival, I noticed it was a high density diskette, no correct me if I am wrong, with amigas being 80s machines, used double density diskettes? anyway fail to say it didn't work and I got a boot error 44

here is the transcript of our conversation

Technical Support (Christopher) on 2017-08-13 02:24:50
Hi,

You will find the HD hole is covered, this effectively makes the disk DD. This practice has been used since the 90s in the Amiga community without issues.
Jeremy Bell on 2017-08-12 05:40:38
its a refurbished A600, you haven't even seen my system so how can you judge that its dirty, may i suggest more like a HIGH DESTINY DISKETTE, the issue says ADAPCMCFL READ ERROR DISK BLOCK 44

not very impressed with yourselves, to suggest blame on the customers is disgraceful, you check each disk 3 times, maybe start using DOUBLE DESTINY DISKETTES, this is the problem!!!

Technical Support (Matthew) on 2017-08-11 14:14:40
Hello Jeremy

Thank you for the ticket.

We check every disk three times on each sector for read/write integrity before despatch to customers to ensure that disks are working.

If the disk develops read errors it can be because a small amount of dirt has been introduced to the disk from quite often 30 year old floppy disk drive mechanisms that are very dusty and dirty after a long time being in service.

The ADAPCMCFL drivers are installed in the DEVSosDrivers directory and also various other drawers in the System partition.

We are happy to send you out another disk but I would suggest that you clean the floppy drive to ensure that is free from dust and debris that has built up over the years.

Please confirm the number of your order.

Thank you.

now I am not impressed by amigakit blaming it on the customer's, poor customer service.

what do you guys think PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 13 August 2017, 23:05   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
1) I only have positive experience with Amigakit
2) HD disks with covered hole formatted as DD used to be commonly used
3) some drives can have problems with some floppies

ad 3) back in 90s me and my schoolmate bought both brand new A600s. His Amiga had English keyboard, mine has German layout. Not sure with kickstart etc. His Amiga read all the floppies he inserted, my Amiga refused to boot from some of his floppies (exact the same physical floppies) resulting Software Failure guru screen. Both these Amigas were new, all the floppies were DD.
Old 13 August 2017, 23:05   #3
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
now I am not impressed by amigakit blaming it on the customer's, poor customer service.
And I'm not impressed by whiny douchebags registering here just to vent about a non-issue.

He's "happy to to send you out another disk", all he's asking for is that you check your drive for dirt. I don't think that an unreasonable request.

And yeah, using HD disks is unfortunate, but often neccessary - because getting your hands on DD disks has been rather difficult for years.
Old 13 August 2017, 23:58   #4
idrougge

Getting your hands on DD disks is about as difficult as getting hold of D23 connectors, both of which Amigakit have refused to do even when pointed at where to buy them. They'd rather cut off D25 connectors or tape over HD disk holes (as if the Amiga even cared about that hole) than pay an extra quid for proper things.
Old 14 August 2017, 05:49   #5
supaduper

I have had the odd disk from Amigakit which is corrupt ,but never had a problem as I asked for an ADF of the disk and they sent it via Email,why dont you ask for this , much simpler and faster, lts life as they .
Old 14 August 2017, 12:48   #6
lost_loven

I thought I got sent a bad disk too! But guess what. I cleaned my drive and it work! I suggest you do the same.
Old 14 August 2017, 18:35   #7
Daedalus

Hmmm, how can anyone *not* suspect an ancient floppy drive in situations like this? Regardless of how clean it might look from the outside, it's only as clean as the last disk you put in it.
Old 14 August 2017, 19:16   #8
Amiga1992

Sure, but also HD disks used as DD are notoriously unreliable.

Floppies are a hard thing to get to work nowadays. Both the drive and the disk could be at fault. There's a lot of dirty drives as there are lots of bitrotten disks and HD as DD garbage.

Moral of the story: don't use floppies ;P
Old 14 August 2017, 21:00   #9
Daedalus

Yeah, true. All these things could be avoided with LHA and ADF downloads, though I guess there are chicken-and-egg situations where you can't get the files onto your Amiga without the software on floppy... The joys of Amiga life
Old 14 August 2017, 21:43   #10
Matt_H

@ jazzyalba2108

I think you are seriously overreacting to a very reasonable variable that Amigakit suggested you try to eliminate: the cleanliness of the floppy drive. They ever offered to send you a new disk! What more do you want?
Old 14 August 2017, 22:02   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I guess there are chicken-and-egg situations where you can't get the files onto your Amiga without the software on floppy...
That was true up to about 3 or 4 years ago, but nowadays you can just get a Gotek floppy emulator! Thanks goodness.

I gotta replace all disk drives in my house with emulators ;P
Old 16 August 2017, 23:50   #12
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
I have had the odd disk from Amigakit which is corrupt ,but never had a problem as I asked for an ADF of the disk and they sent it via Email,why dont you ask for this , much simpler and faster, lts life as they .
Exactly what I was thinking and Amigakit are not going to tell the buyer to bog off are they! It is their bread-n-butter to keep amigans buying the stuff we ask for! Be thankful amigakit even exist

Maybe the floppy disk fairies will stumble upon limitless stash of DD disks one day lol

But they always rely on a clean working drive mind lol
Old 17 August 2017, 12:18   #13
idrougge

There are enough DD disks around to last a long time. Jens Schönfeld even commisioned new DD disks a few years ago, and it's Amigakit's own choice not to buy into that.
Old 17 August 2017, 12:56   #14
Robbie

tragic.

just made myself laugh by imagining the OP having a complete meltdown over a floppy disk error.
Old 17 August 2017, 15:31   #15
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
First (and only) post by that poster seems to be a trolling to me. This thread could be closed.
Old 17 August 2017, 15:33   #16
fryguy

I'm not a fan of Amigakit, but i also think this is silly.
Old 18 August 2017, 10:22   #17
alpine9000

I also got a floppy with my PCMCIA card from amigakit. I didn't really care about what was on the disk (you can get everything you need for PCMCIA cards on aminet), but I was super excited, because that took my floppy collection from 1, to 2

But alas, the amigakit floppy had read errors when I tried to image it, and also fails to verify if I try and write to it

My other disk works flawlessly, so now my floppy collection stands at 1 (working), 1 (display only).

For the record, both disks are 2HD.
Old 18 August 2017, 16:33   #18
Amiga1992

It's better not to use anything than to use 2HD as 2SDD.
When one has a floppy, one wants to trust it with whatever you put in it. 2HD cannot be trusted when formatted as 2SDD.
Old 18 August 2017, 23:44   #19
grelbfarlk

Ok here's a crazy thought. Boot from a different floppy, put the drivers on a second floppy.
Old 20 August 2017, 17:49   #20
amigakit.com

Update:

We telephoned the customer on the last week and our Technician spent over 2 hours giving advice and support on using the customer's Amiga 600 with PCMCIA CF adapters.