English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 September 2017, 11:00   #381
Fook42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
Send a patch and I'll have a look. It's not the long term solution as it won't handle sub-folders so well, and I'd like to move away from the concept of slots in config-less mode. So instead would store a full pathname or a list of clusters (cluster of each successive sub folder, plus cluster of file itself).
you are right - for now it's just a little hack to have this feature available.. maybe in the future you can include this into your plaintext-config-file?

the patch-file is attached.

Last edited by Fook42; 03 September 2023 at 21:29.
Old 07 September 2017, 18:20   #382
antiriad76

I am trying to find a proper enclosure(s) for 2 Gotek Drives I have. I see some of you are using enclosures from external non OEM Amiga Disk Drives.

- Is there a 3D printed design I can somehow get?
- Dual drives in a single enclosure would be nice.

I really don't want to spend $80+ for a used Drive on E-Bay just for the enclosure.

I had gotten this Cable kit a while back and I would like to use a Gotek and a PC Drive as extenal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-extern...8AAOSwWLFZpZu8
Old 07 September 2017, 18:41   #383
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiriad76 View Post
I really don't want to spend $80+ for a used Drive on E-Bay just for the enclosure.
What about any other external floppy enclosure? You already have the cable+logic, which is I think the most important part.

Something like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220966899251

I wouldn't feel bad chopping this one up for an LCD/OLED and all that.
Old 07 September 2017, 19:12   #384
antiriad76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
What about any other external floppy enclosure? You already have the cable+logic, which is I think the most important part.

Something like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220966899251

I wouldn't feel bad chopping this one up for an LCD/OLED and all that.
I think all of these external USB Drives are thin form. No way a regular 3.5" or a Gotek can fit in there.
Old 07 September 2017, 19:22   #385
Amiga1992

Quote:
No way a regular 3.5" or a Gotek can fit in there.
A regular one, no, but a Gotek will. I wasn't sure you wanted to use both. I don't think there is an enclosure that will fit both. At least those floppy ones might not, maybe a few will (like an A1010 one, but you don't want to hack that)
Old 11 September 2017, 12:47   #386
cbrunschen

Quote:
I am trying to find a proper enclosure(s) for 2 Gotek Drives I have. I see some of you are using enclosures from external non OEM Amiga Disk Drives.

- Is there a 3D printed design I can somehow get?
I'm actually working on just that - something configurable, even, in the size of the drive bay (width & height), the number of holes for buttons & LEDs, as well as the type of display (2 or 3 digit 7-segment display, or 0.91inch 128x32 OLED).

I should have something to share shortly.

// Christian
Old 11 September 2017, 20:24   #387
antiriad76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunschen View Post
I'm actually working on just that - something configurable, even, in the size of the drive bay (width & height), the number of holes for buttons & LEDs, as well as the type of display (2 or 3 digit 7-segment display, or 0.91inch 128x32 OLED).

I should have something to share shortly.

// Christian
That would be super.

I was also thinking using 2x 5.25 to 3.5 Bay adapters such as the following and making a wooden box for it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817994080

Also you could get one of these for about $8 with free shipping from China and mount the 2 Drives in there. Practical but not too pretty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Bay-Conver...wAAOSwVRpZnUFq
Old 12 September 2017, 01:15   #388
Fook42

ermm, guys.. this thread should be about new firmware from kaffer and benefits or additions to this for the gotek..
Old 12 September 2017, 01:19   #389
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
ermm, guys.. this thread should be about new firmware from kaffer and benefits or additions to this for the gotek..
Come on, it's not like we were talking about cigarettes or how Man U did last weekend

How to fit your Gotek in your Amiga, to enjoy your spanking new FlashFloppy flash, is a good part of the conversation I think. Especially as FlashFloppy adds features that impact its physical installation, like the screens it supports.
Old 12 September 2017, 10:48   #390
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Come on, it's not like we were talking about cigarettes or how Man U did last weekend

How to fit your Gotek in your Amiga, to enjoy your spanking new FlashFloppy flash, is a good part of the conversation I think. Especially as FlashFloppy adds features that impact its physical installation, like the screens it supports.
Agreed.

Fook42: I haven't forgotten your patch by the way. I will review and apply it. It may be a short term measure in its current form but it will only be replaced when I have something superior to replace it with.
Old 12 September 2017, 12:47   #391
jgilcas

Quote:
Oh ok, then you just need any normal slot-mode HXCSDFE.CFG. And AUTOBOOT.HFE for CPC, I think there are a couple available for CPC (HxC original one, and one by some CPC demo crew?).

If it doesn't work... let me know exactly how.
Hi.

I tried to use Atari ST selector but is not working, something about LBA.
Old 12 September 2017, 13:04   #392
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilcas View Post
Hi.

I tried to use Atari ST selector but is not working, something about LBA.
Not the first report of this. Given I messed about with the Amiga selector I've probably borked something, broken the Direct Access protocol, so it's not compatible with the original selectors on other platforms. I will pull out my ST this week and have a look. I wouldn't be surprised to need a firmware fix and matching fix to my build of the Amiga selector.

UPDATE: I just tried the CPC file selector and that worked passably well (though I have some issues to fix). So there's something wrong that's more ST-specific. So I will still have to dig out my ST

Last edited by Keir; 12 September 2017 at 14:45.
Old 12 September 2017, 13:09   #393
jgilcas

Quote:
Not the first report of this. Given I messed about with the Amiga selector I've probably borked something, broken the Direct Access protocol, so it's not compatible with the original selectors on other platforms. I will pull out my ST this week and have a look. I wouldn't be surprised to need a firmware fix and matching fix to my build of the Amiga selector.
Ok, thanks for the info.

I will try old versions to see which one works
Old 12 September 2017, 13:19   #394
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilcas View Post
Ok, thanks for the info.

I will try old versions to see which one works
None will work, it is no doubt broken on ST since day one.
Old 12 September 2017, 14:38   #395
Fook42

rotary encoder

@Keir, another small addition to your work.

we were discussing to use a rotary-encoder together with FlashFloppy.. so i attached one to (afaik) unused pins (from JK) and added some lines to your code:

Code:
static void button_timer_fn(void *unused)
{
    static uint16_t bl, br;
    static uint16_t rot_A = 0;
    uint8_t b = 0;

/* We debounce the switches by waiting for them to be pressed continuously 
     * for 16 consecutive sample periods (16 * 5ms == 80ms) */

bl <<= 1;
    bl |= gpio_read_pin(gpioc, 8);
    if (bl == 0)
        b |= B_LEFT;

br <<= 1;
    br |= gpio_read_pin(gpioc, 7);
    if (br == 0)
        b |= B_RIGHT;

rot_A <<= 1;
    rot_A |= gpio_read_pin(gpioc, 10);
    if ((rot_A & 3) == 2)
    {
        if (gpio_read_pin(gpioc, 11) == 0)
        {
            b |= B_LEFT;
        } else {
            b |= B_RIGHT;
        }
    }
the result can be seen here:
[ Show youtube player ]

i think this may be handy in the future in addition with the button of that rotary-encoder to navigate through directories ... ?
another benefit: it's way faster to scroll through the files than using the buttons

Addition: schematics for the connection attached.

Last edited by Fook42; 03 September 2023 at 21:29.
Old 12 September 2017, 14:47   #396
Keir

Quote:
@Keir, another small addition to your work.

we were discussing to use a rotary-encoder together with FlashFloppy.. so i attached one to (afaik) unused pins (from JK) and added some lines to your code:

i think this may be handy in the future in addition with the button of that rotary-encoder to navigate through directories ... ?
another benefit: it's way faster to scroll through the files than using the buttons
Yes that is very nice. Needs some update to the docs though of what rotary encoder to buy.
Old 12 September 2017, 15:08   #397
Fook42

Quote:
Yes that is very nice. Needs some update to the docs though of what rotary encoder to buy.

i ordered some arduino-modules called "KY040" .. found on ebay for ~1Euro / 1$

but i have not figured out, where we can connect the "button" from that encoder ? are there any more "free" pins where we may "plug" a cable to (like JA,JB,JC ? afaik JC is used for the PC-support, but what about the others?)
Old 12 September 2017, 15:16   #398
Amiga1992

That is fucking brilliant Fook42, excellent addition!
A tiny rotary would work great for scrolling through files instead of the buttons. Great job
A rotary with a push-button action would seal the deal! Will be great when you have directory navigation.
Old 12 September 2017, 15:20   #399
Keir

Quote:

i ordered some arduino-modules called "KY040" .. found on ebay for ~1Euro / 1$

but i have not figured out, where we can connect the "button" from that encoder ? are there any more "free" pins where we may "plug" a cable to (like JA,JB,JC ? afaik JC is used for the PC-support, but what about the others?)
Would this button have the same function as the existing third-button mod? If so it could be wired to JA (in parallel with existing third button if already modded).

If not then perhaps serial RX or TX? I'm probably about the only person that actually uses serial at firmware run time, in normal use those pins are free. The pins would still be available for programming use as I assume it's just a microswitch, open circuit when not pressed.
Old 12 September 2017, 18:21   #400
Sinphaltimus

This attached picture does not depict the oled display mod but instead the other type that requires resistors - however, it does show the third button mod as well (since this mod requires indexed mode to work). Not sure if this is the same connection to use. I hope so. I plan to flashfloppy pretty soon and want to add the third button myself along with the olde display.

Some questions i have is, with the three different modes supported in FF, what are the proper jumper settings for each? Also, which mode is needed for the third button (do we just use indexed mode? I was hopeful not to (leave out config files on USB)). I like the option of no config files needed and just browse the content of the USB with two buttons. In that case, is a third button needed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gotek-LCD-mod-Diagram.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	54565