English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 October 2017, 19:21   #1
a2k_newb

Retina Z2

Hi All.

I have an old big-box 2000 that I bought years ago. I finally decided to take it off of the shelf, watch a bunch of amiga documentaries to get pumped up, and use probably the most interesting machine I have in my hoard.

I've been slowly adding bits and pieces to make it more useful, as I find affordable upgrade parts..

So far, I've added a GVP 25mhz 030, 2 sticks of 4mb ram, scsi drive, retina Z2, 3.x roms, WB 3.1, and Plipbox ethernet w/miamidx.

Retina EMU seems pretty flakey. The only version i've been able to get working is 1.3. The other retina EMU (2.3/2.4) you click on the program, and you get attempting to run retina emu, and then nothing.

I have had it running, and displaying a nice VGA desktop. Then it seems to fall apart, and I get "not enough memory" black screens (I have 1mb chip, and 9MB of fast on my GVP), followed by a system hang. I've deleted the retinaemu folder, and reinstalled, to no luck. I don't know if there is something else it's saving someplace, that is making it sad.

I wiped my system, fresh blank install, and got it working again, only to have it fall apart on the next reboot.

I have heard there is EGS drivers for this card? Does any one have a copy of them? I've searched high and low, and my google-fu has failed me.

I know the retina Z2 is near the bottom tier of cards, but even the new VA2000 is way outside the price range for a toy.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Old 17 October 2017, 20:30   #2
croupier

How much RAM do you have on the Retina?

Are you using the install disks from Amiga Hardware Database website? Which version of the retina library do you have?
Old 18 October 2017, 00:19   #3
gulliver
BoingBagged

Go to the EAB`s ftp, then /~Uploads/Gulliver/Hardware_Drivers/ and you will find it there.
Old 18 October 2017, 00:23   #4
a2k_newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by croupier View Post
How much RAM do you have on the Retina?

Are you using the install disks from Amiga Hardware Database website? Which version of the retina library do you have?
Yes, I believe that is where I got the install disks for the retina.

I've tried 1.3, 2.0, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4.

My retina has 4MB of ram onboard.

Thanks, Joe

Old 20 October 2017, 02:22   #5
Amiga87

Hi,

My first post here.

I too have a retina z2 in an a2000. Similar set up to yours, except I have a 50mHz gvp 030. Exact same problem you are seeing.

But mine works when I use the a2630 @ 25mhz rather than the gvp. The conclusion I reached is there must be an incompatibility with the gvp 030 and the retina z2.

Anyone out there who has that combination working?

Regards,
A87
Old 20 October 2017, 09:04   #6
dalek

Have you set the fast ram jumpers on the 030 accelerator to make all the RAM extended 32 bit instead of in the Zorro 2 address space? Then there should be no contention in the Zorro 2 address space.

Jumper settings: http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/gforce2030
Old 21 October 2017, 11:24   #7
a2k_newb

Well, i thought I has changing the correct jumpers.

I was using https://computerarchive.org/files/co...Manual-ENG.pdf

for a manual, and that says change J10, and J13.

My board matches the pictures exactly on amiga.resource.cx, and the big book of amiga hardware.

I've set J10, J12, J13 to open.

I haven't had any luck at all with getting the EGS to load. Haven't tried retinaEMU yet.

Even if I remove all the drivers from the EGS/Config/Drivers and special drawers, it just goes right to a black screen.

Old 21 October 2017, 20:46   #8
mark_k

As far as I know the Retina memory doesn't appear in the 8MB Zorro II fast RAM space so there shouldn't be a conflict there.

Have you tried doing CPU NOCACHE before running the Retina software?
Old 21 October 2017, 21:52   #9
a2k_newb

Ok, i figured out the black screen when loading the EGS software.

I just had to remove the conditions around
;Force workbench screen open on pre v39
;if not val $workbench GE 39
Echo >CON:
;End if

in the devs:monitor/egs file.

Now i'm getting unknown video node: Link RETa:mux.map2video Retina.Monitor

and then EGS bails out.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Any ideas?

Old 21 October 2017, 22:22   #10
Spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k_newb View Post
Hi All.

I have an old big-box 2000 that I bought years ago. I finally decided to take it off of the shelf, watch a bunch of amiga documentaries to get pumped up, and use probably the most interesting machine I have in my hoard.

I've been slowly adding bits and pieces to make it more useful, as I find affordable upgrade parts..

So far, I've added a GVP 25mhz 030, 2 sticks of 4mb ram, scsi drive, retina Z2, 3.x roms, WB 3.1, and Plipbox ethernet w/miamidx.

Retina EMU seems pretty flakey. The only version i've been able to get working is 1.3. The other retina EMU (2.3/2.4) you click on the program, and you get attempting to run retina emu, and then nothing.

I have had it running, and displaying a nice VGA desktop. Then it seems to fall apart, and I get "not enough memory" black screens (I have 1mb chip, and 9MB of fast on my GVP), followed by a system hang. I've deleted the retinaemu folder, and reinstalled, to no luck. I don't know if there is something else it's saving someplace, that is making it sad.

I wiped my system, fresh blank install, and got it working again, only to have it fall apart on the next reboot.

I have heard there is EGS drivers for this card? Does any one have a copy of them? I've searched high and low, and my google-fu has failed me.

I know the retina Z2 is near the bottom tier of cards, but even the new VA2000 is way outside the price range for a toy.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
have you tried these drivers
http://www.planetmulti.de/v2/index.h...crosystem.html