English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 July 2019, 04:28   #421
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
Theme Park on the Amiga is Near Perfection
As someone who used to own, and play, both versions of Theme Park, the Amiga version sucked! The PC CD-ROM is far superior.
Old 09 July 2019, 05:33   #422
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
As someone who used to own, and play, both versions of Theme Park, the Amiga version sucked! The PC CD-ROM is far superior.
If I remember correctly, the PC-CD Rom version featured a first person view where you could ride a roller coaster you'd built?

Pretty sure the SNES version did NOT feature this, and I'd assume the same for the Amiga.

Unless they added it for CD32?
Old 09 July 2019, 09:55   #423
Glen M

The PC version had an animation for a roller coaster and other rides but it was generic and didn't resemble the ride you built. Theme Park World (the sequel) allowed you to ride a roller coaster you built.
Old 09 July 2019, 10:09   #424
Glen M

Quote:
Not a Problem Buddy I will See if CRG would like them to Cover.

Theme Park on the Amiga is Near Perfection

I really want to try Theme Hospital on the Amiga but Cannot Find it :-(

Honestly though Buddy yeah it Made my Day :-)
If you can find a copy of theme hospital on Amiga you'll be a famous man. It was never released nor made for our platform I'm afraid. Theme Hospital is an absolute favorite of mine. Still plays really well all these years later.

Theme Park is a great DOS game but on the Amiga.... Well, the A1200 version looks as good but once your park gets to any size the game slows to a crawl and becomes almost unplayable. It really is best enjoyed on the PC.

I own both games already so thanks for the offer of donation but I'm set already. Haven't played Jurassic Park in a while, must give it a go. There are a few other games I want to look at on CRG Plays (need to get back into some game play videos) and YouTube algorithms really need you to upload twice a week these days (says he who hasn't uploaded in two weeks but that's down to family issues just now).

As for x86 discussion... I picked up a lovely 17" CRT yesterday free of charge. The case is extremely yellow but what a clear picture. I'd forgotton just how good an analogue VGA signal looks on an analogue display! I'll post a picture of it later. Also want to test it with a 15khz signal, you never know it might work.
Old 09 July 2019, 10:15   #425
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I picked up a lovely 17" CRT yesterday free of charge. The case is extremely yellow but what a clear picture. I'd forgotton just how good an analogue VGA signal looks on an analogue display! I'll post a picture of it later. Also want to test it with a 15khz signal, you never know it might work.
I threw away a CRT monitor recently that had hardly any yellowing. Regret it now.
Old 09 July 2019, 12:04   #426
Hewitson

Quote:
The PC version had an animation for a roller coaster and other rides but it was generic and didn't resemble the ride you built.
Absolutely correct. The animations were still quite good though.

The main advantage about Theme Park on the PC is that it was just so much smoother and faster. Much more enjoyable to play, particularly once your park becomes large and with lots of people. The Amiga version becomes unplayable pretty quickly once this happens.
Old 09 July 2019, 13:10   #427
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I could never play the Amiga version in a fun way, I think it was because I had an OCS machine. The grass (or snow in the Christmas demo version) was just corrupted graphics that would get smeared out when scrolling. It's not exactly fun to have to look at.

Like described in this thread actually

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91131
Old 09 July 2019, 16:33   #428
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Yes I Agree Far Superior but I Still love the Amiga Version for what it is
Old 09 July 2019, 16:34   #429
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
If you can find a copy of theme hospital on Amiga you'll be a famous man. It was never released nor made for our platform I'm afraid. Theme Hospital is an absolute favorite of mine. Still plays really well all these years later.

Theme Park is a great DOS game but on the Amiga.... Well, the A1200 version looks as good but once your park gets to any size the game slows to a crawl and becomes almost unplayable. It really is best enjoyed on the PC.

I own both games already so thanks for the offer of donation but I'm set already. Haven't played Jurassic Park in a while, must give it a go. There are a few other games I want to look at on CRG Plays (need to get back into some game play videos) and YouTube algorithms really need you to upload twice a week these days (says he who hasn't uploaded in two weeks but that's down to family issues just now).

As for x86 discussion... I picked up a lovely 17" CRT yesterday free of charge. The case is extremely yellow but what a clear picture. I'd forgotton just how good an analogue VGA signal looks on an analogue display! I'll post a picture of it later. Also want to test it with a 15khz signal, you never know it might work.
Nice Find I Desperately want a CRT
Old 10 July 2019, 19:59   #430
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

X86 Topic inbound :-)

I just had a Customer ask me if I could turn there AMD Athlon Laptop into a Hackintosh?

I know this is a thing with Intel based PC Hardware but has it been done on AMD?

I couldn't answer there question so I Said I would get back to them.

I am going to Research now anyway but I thought I would throw it in here for Everybody to Share there Knowledge :-)
Old 11 July 2019, 04:43   #431
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
X86 Topic inbound :-)

I just had a Customer ask me if I could turn there AMD Athlon Laptop into a Hackintosh?

I know this is a thing with Intel based PC Hardware but has it been done on AMD?

I couldn't answer there question so I Said I would get back to them.

I am going to Research now anyway but I thought I would throw it in here for Everybody to Share there Knowledge :-)
My conclusion is the same as yours in that my understanding of building a hackintosh, is essentially in picking like for like hardware, so that the resulting system matches something MAC OS recognizes.

So unless there is an official Apple build that used AMD CPU's (keeping in mind, that also means an AMD compatible main board) then it's a non starter.

I may be talking out of my arse though. It's a thing I've looked into, but never done myself.

EDIT: Seems I AM talking out of my arse.

Try this website
https://amd-osx.com/
Old 11 July 2019, 11:38   #432
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
My conclusion is the same as yours in that my understanding of building a hackintosh, is essentially in picking like for like hardware, so that the resulting system matches something MAC OS recognizes.

So unless there is an official Apple build that used AMD CPU's (keeping in mind, that also means an AMD compatible main board) then it's a non starter.

I may be talking out of my arse though. It's a thing I've looked into, but never done myself.

EDIT: Seems I AM talking out of my arse.

Try this website
https://amd-osx.com/
Thank you for Pointing this out to me Buddy this has made it ten times easier :-)
Old 11 July 2019, 14:05   #433
Hewitson

Athlon? Far too old, surely.
Old 11 July 2019, 14:27   #434
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Athlon? Far too old, surely.
It didn't say which Athlon. The Athlon brand is still alive today.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/athlon-mobile
Old 11 July 2019, 16:10   #435
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It didn't say which Athlon. The Athlon brand is still alive today.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/athlon-mobile
Oh. I had no idea, thanks for the correction!
Old 13 July 2019, 18:30   #436
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

If anyone wants to play Quake 3 next Weekend I Will Setup a Private Server :-) Let me Know
Old 14 July 2019, 14:36   #437
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Had a Little Scare with the P3 and Bios Flashing. I thought I had Bricked it doing it Incorrectly through Dos but it Turns out the Bios Flash in fact went Fine. I had to Clear Cmos Jumper and remove the Battery for a Little While, Set it all back and the Baby fired Straight up with the New Bios. I set everything to how I had it Before and there were also a Few Added Options After. I am now having no Issues with Larger Drives in this Machine :-)
Old 15 July 2019, 08:56   #438
AmigaHope

Was Theme Park slow on the Amiga even with a fast CPU, or did it just do tons of stuff in Amiga chipset land which limited the speed no matter how fast a CPU you had?
Old 15 July 2019, 12:52   #439
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Was Theme Park slow on the Amiga even with a fast CPU, or did it just do tons of stuff in Amiga chipset land which limited the speed no matter how fast a CPU you had?
Well I played it while using a A500 withTerribleFire530 Accelerator and my A1200. I didn't Spot any Difference but I am not really looking at FPS when playing a game if I Enjoy it that's the Main thing. I am used to the Chugging Movements of the Characters and Models anyway as I have played a lot of SimCity on some Pretty Weak Hardware in the Past, so Theme Park didn't bother me
Old 15 July 2019, 19:31   #440
Viceroy

Quote:
Had a Little Scare with the P3 and Bios Flashing. I thought I had Bricked it doing it Incorrectly through Dos but it Turns out the Bios Flash in fact went Fine. I had to Clear Cmos Jumper and remove the Battery for a Little While, Set it all back and the Baby fired Straight up with the New Bios. I set everything to how I had it Before and there were also a Few Added Options After. I am now having no Issues with Larger Drives in this Machine :-)
I hope you are looking after my P3!