English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 September 2017, 18:52   #401
bebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
This attached picture does not depict the oled display mod but instead the other type that requires resistors - however, it does show the third button mod as well (since this mod requires indexed mode to work). Not sure if this is the same connection to use. I hope so. I plan to flashfloppy pretty soon and want to add the third button myself along with the olde display.

Some questions i have is, with the three different modes supported in FF, what are the proper jumper settings for each? Also, which mode is needed for the third button (do we just use indexed mode? I was hopeful not to (leave out config files on USB)). I like the option of no config files needed and just browse the content of the USB with two buttons. In that case, is a third button needed?
The one from picture does not require resistors.
Old 12 September 2017, 19:19   #402
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebek View Post
The one from picture does not require resistors.
Well, it's the source of the mod I got from various places long before FF or OLEd were a discussion here. I used the resistor based mod as pictured in my post for a different gotek on a different computer system with a different display and it works flawlessly.

I do not plan to use that (resistor) mod on my Amiga GoTek. I already purchased the small OLED for straight through wiring to pins.

My initial reason for posting is because of the third button install and to have some questions regarding third button functionality, gotek operating mode and FF functions in regards to them.
Old 12 September 2017, 19:47   #403
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Well, it's the source of the mod I got from various places long before FF or OLEd were a discussion here. I used the resistor based mod as pictured in my post for a different gotek on a different computer system with a different display and it works flawlessly.

I do not plan to use that (resistor) mod on my Amiga GoTek. I already purchased the small OLED for straight through wiring to pins.

My initial reason for posting is because of the third button install and to have some questions regarding third button functionality, gotek operating mode and FF functions in regards to them.
FF doesn't yet support a third button. When it does, it will eject and insert/select. Which I imagine is pretty similar to HxC behaviour.
Old 12 September 2017, 19:50   #404
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
FF doesn't yet support a third button. When it does, it will eject and insert/select. Which I imagine is pretty similar to HxC behaviour.

OK cool, thanks for the update on that. I'll just stick with the no config file needed option. would at least eliminate the need for Selector. i don't mind shuffling through a list of ADFs, it's not like I need a ton on the USB stick. Just for one off installs and such. I don't plan to play games with it.
Old 12 September 2017, 20:48   #405
Higgy

HxC works fine with just 2 buttons in a 'no config' mode. Entering and exiting sub directories is fine, you just wait a little longer for it to automatically 'press enter'.
I was thinking you need 3, but 2 is fine so if F-F uses a 3rd for something else that will work well (although insert/select sounds like you could use it for in/out of directories).

I did install a 3rd button though on my HxC install, I turned a button (same type as on PCB) upside down and situated it above the 'left button'. I soldered the body to the body of the button below.
Old 12 September 2017, 23:11   #406
Mikerochip

Quote:
Not the first report of this. Given I messed about with the Amiga selector I've probably borked something, broken the Direct Access protocol, so it's not compatible with the original selectors on other platforms. I will pull out my ST this week and have a look. So there's something wrong that's more ST-specific. So I will still have to dig out my ST
The ST seems to be fine reading disk images, it just can't seem to write them!

Also, @Kaffer, does FlashFloppy support the HFE v2 and v3 disk formats?

The v3 format seems to be useful only for IPF/STX image conversion, to work with protected disk images.
Old 12 September 2017, 23:25   #407
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
this is, how i connected the 0.91" OLED

no pullups.. no extra cables.. just turn the old cables 90degrees and thats it
Could you add a link for that OLED display. This starts to seem project wich I dare to try.
Old 12 September 2017, 23:27   #408
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
The ST seems to be fine reading disk images, it just can't seem to write them!
Is this a problem you've seen more generally using FF on ST then? eg. in no-config mode?

Quote:
Also, @Kaffer, does FlashFloppy support the HFE v2 and v3 disk formats?

The v3 format seems to be useful only for IPF/STX image conversion, to work with protected disk images.
It only supports HFE v1 (I think?), ie the basic regular old HFE format.
Old 12 September 2017, 23:33   #409
Fook42

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Could you add a link for that OLED display. This starts to seem project wich I dare to try.
i hope, ebay-links are allowed ?..

http://r.ebay.com/bSHFn9
(I picked the 0.91" IIC-Version.. dont try SPI..)

maybe there are cheaper and quicker ones out there - it took 2 weeks for delivery to germany.
Old 13 September 2017, 00:00   #410
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I would appreciate if someone could do a noobs guide, not just for flashing Gotek (I suspect its same as HXC for that?) but for the mods like LCD and Sound kits?
Hi @Methanoid, I'm putting together a small guide for myself.

At the moment, I'm just including flashing, but I'm hoping to include a list of required files, and then how to manage your USB disks, etc, and how to fit some displays too.

Anyone else care to take a look and/or offer suggestions??

Edit: Added word Doc. v1.01

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...lR6S0JPSW5ScXM

Last edited by Mikerochip; 17 September 2017 at 14:04.
Old 13 September 2017, 00:17   #411
Keir

Quote:

At the moment, I'm just including flashing, but I'm hoping to include a list of required files, and then how to manage your USB disks, etc, and how to fit some displays too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Looks good, I like the colour coded pics. Coretex should be Cortex. In the update guide for FlashFloppy please make it clear that you do not normally need to update the bootloader -- just updating the main firmware will suffice unless there's particular reason to do the bootloader too.
Old 13 September 2017, 00:39   #412
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
About the hxc in the compare table i can see this :

<<Only supports reading from disks with USB HxC. Need SD HxC for disk image writing.>>

This is not related to the gotek hxc firmware. The USB HxC is a totally different hardware from 2006 (a floppy bridge between a PC and the amiga).
Write support is fully supported on the HxC gotek firmware.

There is also some confusions with the different usages modes.
There is a description here in the "Usage instructions" part :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...hp?f=33&t=1683
If you have some questions pm me or ask them into the other thread .

Old 13 September 2017, 01:03   #413
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
This is not related to the gotek hxc firmware. The USB HxC is a totally different hardware from 2006 (a floppy bridge between a PC and the amiga).
Write support is fully supported on the HxC gotek firmware.

There is also some confusions with the different usages modes.
There is a description here in the "Usage instructions" part :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...hp?f=33&t=1683
If you have some questions pm me or ask them into the other thread .
Ah, I was actually going to say "I'm still a tad confused by the different usage modes"
I'm still only in the middle of wading through all the different files and formats. The doc is moreso for my own notes and is updated as I figure stuff out!

Initially I just started making notes on how to flash the Gotek, so I'd remember how to do this in future! and just started adding stuff in as I went along.

I started with Coretex, and A-A flashing.

I can't for the life of me (because I have crappy knock off) get the USB-Serial bridge flashing working. I have 2x Gotek devices, and intended to buy HxC for one of them, for comparison, but there's no point until I get that working. (which is why there's no notes in that section yet, really)

I have ordered two other (not based on the prolific chipset) TTL flash devices, and I'm just waiting for them to arrive.

I'm struggling atm because my A600 was "repaired" and recapped by one of the well known hardware guys here, but botched quite badly, and now only half works. So, I'm never quite sure if it's my hardware, or something else.
Old 13 September 2017, 01:08   #414
Mikerochip

Quote:
In the update guide for FlashFloppy please make it clear that you do not normally need to update the bootloader -- just updating the main firmware will suffice unless there's particular reason to do the bootloader too.
That's my next section. I have your notes from the Git, on error codes etc.
I only just updated my own devices last night via USB to get a feel for how it all fits together, and what mistakes I might easily make.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:15   #415
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
i hope, ebay-links are allowed ?..

http://r.ebay.com/bSHFn9
Yes, no problem
Old 13 September 2017, 16:32   #416
Amiga1992

Quote:
I started with Coretex, and A-A flashing.
It's "Cortex", not "Coretex". You might want to change that.
Old 13 September 2017, 17:55   #417
cbrunschen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunschen View Post
I should have something to share shortly.
Here's a preview; I am currently in the process of printing one (I have printed prototypes along the way). You should be able to generate either a full box + lid, or a "frame" that includes a face plate, the supports for the board, and enough of a skeleton to give a reasonable amount of rigidity and the usual mounting holes that are found along the side and bottom of a floppy drive.

You can also:
  • choose between support for the Gotek drive's own three-digit LED display or a 0.91-inch 128x32 pixel OLED module
  • You can further change the overall width & height of the bay, offset the mounting &c so that the USB connector is not in the center, and add extra space between the display and the USB port
  • Choose between 1 or 2 LED holes, and 2 or 3 button holes
  • Specify the thickness of wall and floor/ceiling material, for example to adjust to printers with different nozzle sizes
  • Add 'extra space' to all holes to compensate for over-extrusion on your printer

I hope this is useful; feedback is also appreciated.

Best wishes

// Christian

Last edited by cbrunschen; 13 September 2017 at 18:10.
Old 13 September 2017, 18:41   #418
antiriad76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunschen View Post
Here's a preview; I am currently in the process of printing one (I have printed prototypes along the way). You should be able to generate either a full box + lid, or a "frame" that includes a face plate, the supports for the board, and enough of a skeleton to give a reasonable amount of rigidity and the usual mounting holes that are found along the side and bottom of a floppy drive.

You can also:
  • choose between support for the Gotek drive's own three-digit LED display or a 0.91-inch 128x32 pixel OLED module
  • You can further change the overall width & height of the bay, offset the mounting &c so that the USB connector is not in the center, and add extra space between the display and the USB port
  • Choose between 1 or 2 LED holes, and 2 or 3 button holes
  • Specify the thickness of wall and floor/ceiling material, for example to adjust to printers with different nozzle sizes
  • Add 'extra space' to all holes to compensate for over-extrusion on your printer

I hope this is useful; feedback is also appreciated.

Best wishes

// Christian
Really nice. I am assuming the screw holes will be threaded once you install some oversize screws. Is the top lid interchangeable from the original Gotek case or only the PCB and display will fit?
Old 13 September 2017, 19:02   #419
FutureComet

A new version of FF-HxC Editor is available

http://bit.ly/FFHxCEditor

v0.4:
-Added temporary list for more sorting fun
-Added Backup function

Old 13 September 2017, 19:03   #420
cbrunschen

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiriad76 View Post
Really nice.
Thanks!

Quote:
I am assuming the screw holes will be threaded once you install some oversize screws.
To affix the PCB to the supports, using the screws that came with the Gotek drive seems to work. I have not yet attempted to put one of these into an actual drive bay.

Quote:
Is the top lid interchangeable from the original Gotek case or only the PCB and display will fit?
I've not tried to make the lower box compatible with the original Gotek lid, but that's a good idea - though it may be a bit tricky to get a precise fit depending on the printer you have. As it stands right now, I'm only reusing the PCB and possibly the display and replacing the entire housing.

// Christian