English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 January 2015, 14:45   #121
Gordon
Settler

Its very limited. I got mine in the post but since i found out it was out of stock i been looking in shops too so i could buy more and see if i could help out a few people on this site but i cant find it anywhere. been to about 15 smiths in the last 2 weeks
Old 16 January 2015, 15:22   #122
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Just went through the book, they could've done far more! It was all A500 focussed really, nothing on the A1200 Lack of Eye of the beholder info just a two page pic and a small bit of writing. Lots of rehashed bits from other mags, it didn't really stand out as a book, just a magazine feature.

The also did nothing on any mods, nothing on the gotek,graphics upgrades,cf cards etc

The only thing I found touching was the Cinemaware story.

A bit disappointed
Old 16 January 2015, 15:37   #123
Amigajay

To be fair and has been pointed out already, it is mostly reprints from Retro Gamer and 6 new articles as listed here https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/the-amiga-book.html

Most people should know this, and i for one will still enjoy it as its all the Amiga bits from RG in one bookazine.

If people aren't happy with it just sell it on ebay, I'm sure you get your money back pretty quickly...
Old 16 January 2015, 17:33   #124
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

It's a shame it is sold out, I only found out about it the other day and the WHSmiths I have been to have never had any in. Maybe I'm too far up north.

Hopefully they will reprint, pretty sad to see people flipping it for a quick buck on ebay.
Old 16 January 2015, 20:44   #125
Simmo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlega View Post
It's a shame it is sold out, I only found out about it the other day and the WHSmiths I have been to have never had any in. Maybe I'm too far up north.

Hopefully they will reprint, pretty sad to see people flipping it for a quick buck on ebay.
Don't know where abouts in UK you are, but I got my copy from the WHSmiths at Edinburgh Waverley railway station... That's quite a way north, no?

Due to my job, I travel up and down the country a lot. I'll keep an eye out and if I find any I'll post on here.
Old 16 January 2015, 23:45   #126
amigang

Just want to say thanks to imagine publishing for even making an Amiga book/mag, yes I'm sure you could say they looked at the kickstarter for Amiga book and thought hay we got a lot of content on Amiga over the years in retro gamer lets take all them articles and put them in one mag, which some might seem lazy and not really worth bothering about especially if you get Retro Gamer all the time anyway, but for me this is Brilliant! I kinda wanted to buy the odd mag when they had Amiga stuff in there but held off as usually there not that much else of interest and it is a bit pricey at £5 a mag so for a £10 I've got pretty much all the stuff I'm into in one mag is great!

Like many have said it is a bit A500 focus, I was hoping for more on all the Amigas but then again this gives me hope that they will do a volume 2 that focus more on the A1200 and CD32 games and i will be sure to get my copy!

PS: little vid of Amiga goodies I got the other day including this mag
[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks again Retro gamer!
Old 17 January 2015, 11:01   #127
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo76 View Post
Don't know where abouts in UK you are, but I got my copy from the WHSmiths at Edinburgh Waverley railway station... That's quite a way north, no?
Ha! Yep, that is pretty far North! Maybe its just down to the size of the town.

Thanks for the offer, if you do spot one keep me in mind
Old 17 January 2015, 13:11   #128
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
a digital version does exist.
Where? :-)
Old 17 January 2015, 16:33   #129
spudje

Digital version is available here (well, links you to stores): http://www.greatdigitalmags.com/view...OutOfStockLink

My copy arrived in the mail today. Apart from the long wait I love it!! Many pages full of awesome memories!!!
Old 17 January 2015, 17:08   #130
Simmo76

2 (print) copies available at Newcastle Railway station.
Old 17 January 2015, 17:18   #131
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I was disappointed that this was not a real book. However seeing it in my local newsagent was awesome. As a non retro gamer reader, I couldn't resist! How long has it been since AMIGA featured so prominently on a newsagents shelf?!

http://imgur.com/Dz8DUqi.jpg

Last edited by DDNI; 17 January 2015 at 19:59. Reason: I would if I could figure out how to make this forum resize them.
Old 17 January 2015, 19:36   #132
abbalah

I got my copy between flights at the Kastrup airport last night. Never expected to find one but walked into one of the WH Smiths anyways. Going through the magazine titles was like "iPhone, iPhone, PC, XBox, Android, iPad, PS4, iPhone, Android, PC, PC, MacBook.... AMIGA!!! Hell yeah!"

I was smiling like a fool and it was the perfect way lighten the mood on the flight home after a grueling work week.

Last edited by abbalah; 17 January 2015 at 20:33.
Old 18 January 2015, 11:41   #133
Specksynder

Any rumors/news about a possible reprint?
Old 19 January 2015, 08:14   #134
Havie

Saw 2 copies in W H Smith Redhill yesterday.
Old 19 January 2015, 10:44   #135
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I was disappointed that this was not a real book. However seeing it in my local newsagent was awesome. As a non retro gamer reader, I couldn't resist! How long has it been since AMIGA featured so prominently on a newsagents shelf?!

http://imgur.com/Dz8DUqi.jpg
Indeed, I really miss that - nice pic DDNI. Hope they reprint and make a Vol.2.
Old 19 January 2015, 11:35   #136
Strider

Readers are starting to comment that they're seeing it in their local stores, so WHSmiths now seems to be up to date on its distribution. With regards to reprints, we'll need to review all the final sales and that's currently impossible due to the ones being shipped overseas at the moment. If we did do one it's more likely to swap out some of the content and replace it with new material.
There's also the possibility of a second volume that could include machines like the CD32 and 1200 and cover a lot of the other making ofs we couldn't fit in this first book.
Old 19 January 2015, 12:06   #137
LieutLaww

I would like to see a volume 2 covering the 1200 at least, though i did had the CD32 and one of the fabled FMV Modules !
Old 19 January 2015, 12:16   #138
Amigajay

Would love a Vol 2! This is first bookazine or even mag for ages ive read cover to cover!
Old 19 January 2015, 13:03   #139
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
There's also the possibility of a second volume that could include machines like the CD32 and 1200 and cover a lot of the other making ofs we couldn't fit in this first book.
Why not do a BIG Amiga Vol 2 such as below........

All the Amiga systems ( A600/A1200/CD32 and so on )

How about a feature on Dizzy how it advanced from the 8bit to the Amiga version

A big feature on Dungeon Crawlers, such as Abandoned Places, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder

A feature on the surge in Amiga gaming and how prices have soared for many Amiga titles

Homebrew releases for the Amiga

Devices sold today for the Amiga, such as the Gotek

How about a cool feature on modified Amiga's, those with paint jobs and the like?

Even a feature on WinUAE by Toni Wilen and how it's used to play retro gaming and install Amiga Os's on CF cards

Rare and unusual Amiga games

How about a feature on the problems we have nowadays with Battery and Capacitor leakages in A500's?

Old 20 January 2015, 12:04   #140
Strider

While there's some great ideas there they would most likely not appear in a later bookazine. The whole point of our bookazines is that they largely use repurposed material (some of the articles in the first book are 10 years old for example). If we don't have the material in the first place we can't add it to a later bookazine. We can certainly look at running some of these features in the mag, but because they're so specific to the amiga you'll end up annoying those readers that don't care for it.