English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 07 September 2008, 18:31   #1
Port_H

Question Problems with GB Amiga -GEMUS Emulator Setup Wizard, etc...

I recently downloaded and installed GameBase v1.2 and GameBase Amiga v1.6. I wish to run a few .adf(zipped) games and one .ipf game I had before, I wish to run them from GB Amiga to see if it works, but came up with this problem: When running the GEMUS Emulator Setup Wizard, when it arrives to the 'Select Emulators' window, I'm not able to tick any of the boxes corresponding to each of the WinUAE versions listed. All the versions listed appear as 'Not Found' under the filename column. I noticed the latest WinUAE version listed there is v1.5.0, but the version I'm using is v1.5.1! Also the 'Select File' button is greyed-out and I can't click it: there's nothing else left to do besides being forced to click the 'Abort' button to exit the Wizard.
Is it possible to use GB Amiga without finishing successfully the GEMUS Emulator Setup Wizard? There's any GEMUS.DAT file available which supports latest WinUAE v1.5.1? Is there any solution or workaround for this?
Old 07 September 2008, 19:11   #2
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

This has been covered a few times, it really doesn't matter what emulator versions are listed, they are all treated the same, just highlight 1.5.0 (joystick) if you want to use joystick, or one of the other control options, then you can click the select file button and then just browse to your 1.5.1 exe.

edit: here's an updated gemus.dat, just unzip and overwrite the old one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gemus.zip (1.0 KB, 1042 views)

Last edited by Belgarath; 07 September 2008 at 19:24.
Old 07 September 2008, 21:45   #3
Port_H

OK, now I know why I couldn't select any WinUAE versions (highlight them): I was clicking on the checkboxes before the name, and nothing changed. When I clicked on the name itself, it was highlighted and then I could click on the 'Select File', select winuae.exe, and only then I was able to put a checkmark on the checkbox before the name. Thank you, Belgarath.

Still I have other problems concerning gamefiles. For instance, I have this .zip file locamiga.zip for the game Lords of Chaos. I placed it on the D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\L directory. Although the path for Games is set to D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games, GB Amiga doesn't recognize it (the button 'Play Game' is greyed out). The same thing happens for all the games that I previously had. I also don't know where to place my escapefromcolditz.ipf (Escape from Colditz game) or how to make it work with GB Amiga... Do I have to rename all my game files in order for them to work with GB Amiga?

Last edited by Port_H; 07 September 2008 at 21:59.
Old 07 September 2008, 22:22   #4
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Yes, all the games must have specific names and it also expects a certain directory layout.
clrmamepro dats are available on the site so you can rename your existing games.

please bear in mind though that GameBase Amiga only supports the best working version of games, so not all your adfs may be recognised.

the directory structure can be found here http://gbamiga.elowar.com/wiki/installing:directories
Old 10 September 2008, 13:19   #5
Port_H

Whenever I start a game from within GameBase Amiga, it is launched at windowed mode with the resolution (window size) of 640x512, which is really annoying, not only because it is too small to my liking, but especially because a small slice of the image (in the right hand side) appears cut off from the window, the game image isn't centered in the window.
Is it possible to it make so that every time I start playing from GameBase Amiga, Winuae is started at 800x600 resolution (with vertical and horizontal centering of the image), instead of the default 640x512 ? It sucks having to change manually display settings everytime I start a gaming session!
Old 10 September 2008, 14:37   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_H View Post
Whenever I start a game from within GameBase Amiga, it is launched at windowed mode with the resolution (window size) of 640x512, which is really annoying, not only because it is too small to my liking, but especially because a small slice of the image (in the right hand side) appears cut off from the window, the game image isn't centered in the window.
Is it possible to it make so that every time I start playing from GameBase Amiga, Winuae is started at 800x600 resolution (with vertical and horizontal centering of the image), instead of the default 640x512 ? It sucks having to change manually display settings everytime I start a gaming session!
Load the "Gamebase Amiga.uae" (stored in the Gamebase Amiga folder) with the "Load from..." option, edit and save/overwrite it at the same location.
Old 10 September 2008, 14:40   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Do the same for the 'WHDLoad.uae' too
Old 14 September 2008, 12:42   #8
Port_H

I downloaded and extracted 'GameBase Amiga - Games (Update v1.3 to v1.4; Shrunk Edition).7z', but while running RUNME.bat, some error occured and 7 .adf files weren't copied from adf folder to Games folder. They were 'Hugo - Pa Nye Eventyr Del 2 (Dk)_Disk1.adf'...'Hugo - Pa Nye Eventyr Del 2 (Dk)_Disk6.adf and 'Psycho Squares Deluxe.adf'. Were this supposed to happen? Should I copy those files manually to the respective 'H' and 'P' subdirectories of the 'Games' folder?
Old 14 September 2008, 13:40   #9
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Yeah sorry, I still haven't gotten around to fixing those scripts, they were faulty due to some incomplete regular expressions I used to build them. Just zip them (a clrmame pro rebuild will also do that, but it's probably easier to do it manually in this particular case) and move them to the respective dirs.
Old 14 September 2008, 14:37   #10
Port_H

OK, thank you. I'll zip them using 7zip program and move them to respective dirs. BTW, could anyone give clear instructions (or post a link to them) on how to configure clrmamepro for use with GameBase Amiga and how to use it to check and rename (or zipping ?) existing game image files (also .ipf ?) or kickstart ROMs ? I assume the only .dat files we need for use with GB Amiga v1.6 are Dat - GameBase Amiga - Games (v1.6).zip and Dat - GameBase Amiga - Kickstarts (v1.0 through v1.6).zip from http://gbamiga.elowar.com/files/@Main/ ?
Old 14 September 2008, 20:15   #11
DamienD
Banned

Hello Port_H,

You can find documentation / tutorials about ClrMAMEPRO here which explain all the options, settings etc...

Anyway, I've written a brief / no frills step-by-step guide for you:
  • Download ClrMAMEPro from here.
  • Extract it to your hard drive e.g. C:\CLRMAMEPRO.
  • Download the desired DAT file and extract it to ClrMAMEPro's datfiles directory e.g. C:\CLRMAMEPRO\datfiles.
  • Start ClrMAMEPro and click OK at the welcome screen.
  • Find the desired DAT file under the <NEW DATFILES> section, then double-click on this and click Default.
  • Click the Settings button, click Add..., then point to the directory where your files are stored, click OK and then click the "X" to close the Settings window.
  • Click the Scanner button, then click Scan... and click Yes.
  • After the scan has completed close the results window and then click the "X" to close the Scanner window.
  • Click the Rebuild button, click the ... button under Folder --> Source and point to the directory where your files are stored. Click the ... button under Folder --> Destination and point to the directory where you want your rebuilt files to go.
  • Now personally I would tick "Remove Matched Sourcefiles" (optional) and then Rebuild...
Hope this helps
Old 18 September 2008, 03:41   #12
Port_H

Sorry if I'm being annoying, but I still have several questions/doubts:

Reguarding clrmamepro configuration:

1. When using the .dat file for games Dat - GameBase Amiga - Games (v1.6).zip, in the Settings window under ROM-Paths, I must add the paths D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\0\, ...\Games\A\, ...\Games\B\ ...and so on to ...\Games\Z\, rather then adding just the ...\Games\ directory, or else the scanner detects as unneeded File/Folder each one one of the ...\A to ...\Z subdirectories and prompts me to delete them!

2. In the Scanner window, under <Check Fix>, should I place a checkmark in ALL the checkboxes ? Under 'You want to scan' section, should I place a checkmark in both the Sets and ROMs checkboxes ?

Reguarding clrmamepro Scan results:

3. When using the .dat file for games Dat - GameBase Amiga - Games (v1.6).zip, the scanner detects 4 unneded files and prompts me if I want to delete them:
unneeded file: D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\G\Ghouls 'N Ghosts.zip [not fixed]
unneeded file: D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\H\Hydra.zip [not fixed]
unneeded file: D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\L\Leading Lap MPV.zip [not fixed]
unneeded file: D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\S\Shadow of the Beast II_Disk0.zip [not fixed]

However those files were either contained on the GameBase Amiga game packs hosted on zSHARE.net -"v1.0 for Database v1.2 or higher", "Update v1.0 to v1.1 for Database v1.2 or higher" and "Update v1.1 to v1.2"- or they were contained on one of the "Shrunk Editions" I downloaded from http://gbamiga.elowar.com/files/Miscellaneous/, or else they came from one of the Rare Games packs I downloaded from http://gbamiga.elowar.com/files/@Main/. Is it really safe to delete those, are they really unneded files ?

There are more questions that I need to post but I'll have to leave them to another day, when I have the time. Now I must go to sleep. It's 2:40 A.M. here!
Old 18 September 2008, 09:49   #13
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Ok first of all it's generally better to use rebuild rather than scan, you add the rom path as the gamebase amiga games directory, and then you put all the games you want to scan in another dir and use that directory as the add path.

once they've been scanned you can then use the gamemove.bat to put them in the proper subdirs.

as for the 4 files you listed, yes they are no longer needed because sometimes it's discovered that a version didn't work, or another version comes along that is better in some way.
Old 18 September 2008, 14:05   #14
Port_H

I did as you told, in Settings under the ROM-Paths, I added the D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\ directory and under the Add-Paths, I added D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\Other\ directory, where I placed one .adf created to save games and wizards in the game 'Lords of Chaos' and 5 other .zip files containing .adf files. Then I opened the Rebuilder. In the Rebuilder window, I placed check marks on the checkboxes before 'Use Add-Paths' and 'Scan Subfolders' and 'Remove Matched Sourcefiles'. On the Destination field I placed D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\ directory. Then I clicked on Rebuild... button. The result was as follows:

Source-Files: 15
- now even counting files in archives -
Analyzed Files: 17
Created Files: 0
Matched Files: 0
Skipped Files: 17

I don't understand why it detected 15 Source-Files (which ones, it doesn't say) and 0 Matched Files!

I prefer much more to add in the Settings window under ROM-Paths all the paths D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\0\, ...\Games\A\, ...\Games\B\ ...and so on to ...\Games\Z\, then use the Scanner, it gives me much more reasonable results:

Missing Sets: 0 of 4510
Wrong SetName Case: 0 [0 fixed]
Wrong Named Sets: 0 [0 fixed]
Missing Roms: 0 of 4510
Missing Bytes: 0 of 4gb
Missing BIOS Roms: 0 of 0
Wrong Named Roms: 0 [0 fixed]
Wrong RomName Case: 0 [0 fixed]
Wrong Sized Roms: 0 [0 fixed]
Wrong Date/Time Roms: 0 [0 fixed]
Wrong CRC32s: 0
(...)

Anyway...
More questions:

1. The scan I did with clrmamepro (which I described just above) detected 0 Missing Roms. However, in GameBase Amiga I went to Tools>Verify Available Files..., selected the 'Games' checkbox and clicked on the Start button, and the tool found 1 missing game:

Games not found: 1/2712
d:\GameBase Amiga Files\Games\
L\Lords of Chaos.zip 1829 Lords of Chaos

That is precisely one of the games I wished to play, it is a great game! I don't know why, but it seems it is not included in any of the game packs I downloaded for GameBase Amiga. However, the music, screenshot and boxscans for that game are all available in GB Amiga files! If clrmamepro didn't report any missing Roms, it means that this game isn't included in Dat - GameBase Amiga - Games (v1.6).zip ? But then, why was it reported as missing by the GameBase Amiga 'Verify Available Files...' tool ? To workaround the problem, can I use my own copy of Lords of Chaos .adf (not recognized) with GameBase Amiga nevertheless ?

2. I can't play any music in GameBase Amiga! I installed latest DeliPlayer version, downloaded DeliPlayer Plugins (2007-12-30).zip from http://gbamiga.elowar.com/files/@Main/ and extracted them to C:\Programas\DeliPlayer2\AmigaPlayers. In GameBase Amiga, I went to Tools>Options...>Music Players tab. In 'Music Players Properties...' window, under 'Player Name:' i wrote DeliPlayer2; under 'Player Path/Filename:' i placed C:\Programas\DeliPlayer2\DeliPlayer.exe and as I didn't know what to place under 'Supported File Types' (what should i write here ?), I wrote LOADTUNE, after verifying that was the file type for 'Escape from Colditz' game music. But then, when I try to play 'Escape from Colditz' music by selecting the game and clicking on Play Music button, one message appears saying:
"There were no Music Players found that support this Music File. You can set the supported file types in Options!"
If instead, i right-click on the Play Music button and select DeliPlayer2, DeliPlayer starts, but it doesn't play the music and shows this error:
«Could not open the file:
'"d:\GameBase Amiga Files\Music\E\Escape from Colditz.zip"'»

But then, if inside DeliPlayer I open file Escape from Colditz.zip (Right-click anywhere on DeliPlayer window>'Play'>'Load file'>browse to D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Music\E\Escape from Colditz.zip), then the music is played as it should ! Did I configured GameBase Amiga badly ? What should I write under 'Supported File Types' in the 'Music Players Properties...' window ?

Last edited by Port_H; 18 September 2008 at 21:12.
Old 21 September 2008, 16:05   #15
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Well I'm not sure why you'd even bother using the dat if you already have a full set, but it says it detected 15 source files because there were 15 files in the directory you told it to scan. It matched 0 of these files because none of them are in GameBase Amiga.

As for Lords of Chaos, I'm afraid that's a mistake, it shouldn't be in there as I've not added an adf to it, I must have put one in there once to test and then forgot to remove it. I'll probably add it to the next version but feel free to use your own adf in the meantime.

Regarding DeliPlayer..you shouldn't have had to add it to the music players..it should already have been there..anyway the correct options you need is for command line parameters you should put %musicfile%
And supported filetypes should be ZIP
Old 22 September 2008, 00:37   #16
Port_H

Something is wrong... In 'Music Players Properties...' window, under 'Supported File Types' I wrote 'ZIP', however when I click on the Play Music button, DeliPlayer starts, but it doesn't play the music and shows the same error as before:
«Could not open the file:
'"d:\GameBase Amiga Files\Music\E\Escape from Colditz.zip"'»
For other games, same thing happens.
If I don't close Deliplayer window, and click again on the Play Music button of GameBase Amiga, the error dialog doesn't reappear, but the music isn't played still.
However, Deliplayer is capable of playing it: like I said in my previous post, if from within DeliPlayer I open file Escape from Colditz.zip (or other .zip file from the Music folder, except Batman Returns.zip which gives this error: «The archive: 'D:\GameBase Amiga Files\Music\B\Batman Returns.zip' does not contain valid music/sound files or is corrupt.»), then the music is played as it should !
I can't figure out what I've done wrong
Old 22 September 2008, 08:56   #17
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Ahh. Instead of using deliplayer2.exe try using the deli.exe instead.
Old 22 September 2008, 13:52   #18
Port_H

That did the trick! Thank you, Belgarath However, DeliPlayer still can't play the music of Batman Returns: it gives this error: «The archive: 'd:\GameBase Amiga Files\Music\B\Batman Returns.zip' does not contain valid music/sound files or is corrupt.»
Do you think that could be a bad/corrupt download ? I verified that the file Batman Returns.zip was extracted from GameBase Amiga - Music (Complete v1.5).zip, which is one of the packs from the @Main Archive.