English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 04 February 2020, 13:29   #1
Lennyc

Music software

I have a few pieces of software mainly free software from magazines like octamed and sequencer one. But I was wondering whether there is a piece of music software that uses more than the standard 16 midi channels, as I havemidi interface with 32 possible channels of midi.?
Old 04 February 2020, 19:54   #2
Bren McGuire

MIDI standard is 16 channels only, your interface cannot have 32 channels on one output, if you mean you have an Amiga MIDI interface that has more than one MIDI out plug, I am not sure how it works, but I think they are not separate (they are kinda just mirrored). Is it one of those that have 3 outputs that you can switch between THRU and OUT?
Old 05 February 2020, 21:28   #3
Lennyc

Yes it’s a microdeal one. It has an in which is connected to my keyboard. A thru and 2 outs I’m a moly using 1 out that goes to my synth and then thru of the synth to my sampler and then they of that to my 2nd sampler. So you reckon it’s a clone of the first midi out. Ok that was on the lines of what I was thinking.
Old 07 February 2020, 09:14   #4
Jope
-

The outs are all mirrored. The thru port mirrors what comes in from midi in.

When messing around with vintage midi, it is quite an important distinction. Thru just buffers and resends in hardware with very minimal latency. In -> Out requires the midi packages to go through the computers/synth's software, creating latency.

If you in -> out a long chain of 80s/90s MIDI devices, the synths at the end of the chain start lagging very quickly.
Old 28 February 2020, 02:02   #5
AmiClassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyc View Post
I have a few pieces of software mainly free software from magazines like octamed and sequencer one. But I was wondering whether there is a piece of music software that uses more than the standard 16 midi channels, as I havemidi interface with 32 possible channels of midi.?

Have you checked programs like Bars & Pipes, Music X, Steinberg Cubase or Pro24?
Maybe one of them supports more than 16 tracks?