English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 October 2009, 14:24   #1
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

X-arcade joystick

I've just upgraded to the latest version of amiga forever and while I was there I also purchased c64 forever. I just wanted to know just how easy it is to install and run with both. (Also with MAME if possible)

Is there any lag when using it?

It's a lot of money to fork out for a joystick but from what I've read online it is worth it. I'm thinking of getting the one with the trackerball in the middle from here.
http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/pr...etankstick.htm

I think this will be the last piece of the jigsaw for me. Ran out of money unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01 November 2009, 00:21   #2
Paul_s

Mine broke within a couple of months. Emailed Gremlin four times and no response! I also tried phoning and no one answered... so aftersales = sucks.

They're great at selling them but if it breaks forget it. FWIW the data cable broke on mine where it comes out of the back of the unit - whether or not this has been rectified now is another point (it's on a huge dongle type of connector and it puts excessive strain on the cable - I never bent it or anything like that)

Never had any lag playing games ~ nice and easy to use/setup... lots better than your run of the mill stick.

Damien D has something along the same lines but built by a different company... I forget what it's called now but alas, they don't make those anymore!

Last edited by Paul_s; 01 November 2009 at 00:27.
Old 01 November 2009, 00:32   #3
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

I thought these joysticks were near indestructible?! Is it only Gremlin who sell these in the UK then? Would it be worth trying to import one from the US instead or will the lifetime warranty only be valid in the UK if bought from Gremlin. I imagine I'd only have the same problems.

That's poor customer service. Sorry to hear that you've had trouble with them.
Old 01 November 2009, 00:42   #4
Paul_s

SlikStik - they did some wonderful stuff. Sadly bankrupt.. eBay?

HotRod SE (the one Damien D has) - better made than X-Arcade... hard to obtain though.. Google (I haven't looked in over a year so maybe you will have better luck? )
Old 01 November 2009, 16:47   #5
DamienD
Banned

Yup, my HotRodSE is still going strong after roughly 9 years of hard use

Unfortunately as Paul_s mentioned, you cannot purchase these brand new anymore
Old 01 November 2009, 18:17   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I bought an X-Arcade from gremlin, it's been superb.

I had an initial problem with one of the microswitches as it wasn't clicking properly. I emailed them and they responded the same day. A couple of days later I had a bag full of spare microswitches, and some buttons. I swapped over the switch and it's been fine.

I thought the aftersales service was superb, would definitely buy from them again.

The stick is still going strong, and I love it. Great stuff
Old 01 November 2009, 20:34   #7
mattbarton.exe

I have a dual X-Arcade. It's great, but make sure you get the one with the USB PCB if you don't want to have to drag out an old keyboard every time you want to use it.
Old 01 November 2009, 21:33   #8
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

Right I think I've decided to go ahead and buy the tankstick then. Cheers for your thoughts. Fingers crossed I don't have any issues like Paul_s.
Old 01 November 2009, 22:20   #9
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeewolf View Post
Right I think I've decided to go ahead and buy the tankstick then. Cheers for your thoughts. Fingers crossed I don't have any issues like Paul_s.
Mine was the ikkle single player box so it may not have the same issues as the dual player pad... see how it goes anyway..

Like I said though, it's been a while since I had mine so things may have changed
Old 02 November 2009, 10:03   #10
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

Dear god it's near 30" wide, 13" deep and 7" tall. It's a monster. (No crude comments please ) There's no way I'll be able to sneak this past the wife. It will take up the whole desk. Seriously no wonder it's called the tankstick.
Old 02 November 2009, 10:55   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yep it's pretty big
Old 03 November 2009, 00:07   #12
cybermat
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

I used X-arcade just with USB adapter (no way to make it work via Ps/2 method) and i never noted any lag.

years and years ago, a lot of games a lot of pressing on it!

It's new as the day one.

some guys have modded it using SANWA stick and buttons (for beatem up i think)

I solved buying another ARCADE STICK of Mad catz (SF4 tournament limited edition with sanwa stuff)

No credit card limit for passions! (as long as there is money in it..)
Old 23 February 2011, 11:00   #13
wanderer
I want an A1000

I am about to ask a friend to get me an X-Arcade Dual from the USA, but saw the modified Gremlin version and hesitate. Is it worth it? Also, in case of problems, it should be easier to deal with a Europe-based company instead of X-Arcade in the USA.
Old 23 February 2011, 20:08   #14
slk486
Registered Looser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
I am about to ask a friend to get me an X-Arcade Dual from the USA, but saw the modified Gremlin version and hesitate. Is it worth it? Also, in case of problems, it should be easier to deal with a Europe-based company instead of X-Arcade in the USA.
IMHO, it's definately worth it. The Sanwa sticks and switches are just that little bit better - although the sticks may be a question of taste, ie - do you like the round balls or the kind of oval sticks.

P&P will be cheaper, and I have high praise of Gremlin. Their response time can be a bit long sometimes, but once they get to your issue, they have great support. I've been in contact with their support twice and both times been treated well above fairly.
Old 24 February 2011, 12:18   #15
wanderer
I want an A1000

Thanks slk486. Do you think it's worth replacing the buttons, too? They say:
Quote:
"We can also modify the buttons with either Happ standard pushbuttons (concave) OR Happ competition pushbuttons (convex)"
I really don't know much about these modifications, it just seems strange such a high-profile (and expensive) joystick has to be further improved by a 3d party manufacturer.