English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 April 2009, 08:14   #1
kirk
Zone Friend

where to put -norawinput in a config file? for vista usage

i can not get winuae to start on my vista pc, so i use the -norawinput command to run the winuae exe(then runs fine), but i can not figure out where in a games config file to put this command (and the exact command usage) so i can use my frontend to launch games.

wud love to do this (much the same way as i already do to auto launch save states, by putting a command in the config)

cheers
Old 08 April 2009, 08:24   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Which frontend do you use kirk? If there is a option to edit the command line that the frontend uses to launch WinUAE you could simply put the '-norawinput' switch in there. Since that is a general option and not game specific, I don't think that it should be in a config file.
Old 08 April 2009, 16:18   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Why do you need -norawinput? I only know one crash problem that was fixed ages ago..
Old 08 April 2009, 19:53   #4
kirk
Zone Friend

cyber druid--
i use lemonade (lemonamiga.com), its pretty nifty but rather basic, so no option to stick command lines anywhere (unless im missing something ?)

toni--
also, my vista pc wont run winuae 1.2 straight off, i know its old but until i can get to the bottom of the compatibility of configs and save states i am reluctant to shift over to 1.5.3 on a permanant basis (which is what i want to do, but i dont wanna start from scatch will all the configs etc, ive spent many hours honing and tweaking configs and settings for each individual game).
i would love to shove -norawinput in the configs, but i dont know exactly how to.
Old 08 April 2009, 20:09   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just move to 1.5.3 kirk. Install the binary to a different folder and it will use the same paths for configurations, screenshots and savestates. Test and maybe adjust the configs (should be less than 5% that might have issues when changing from 1.2 to 1.5.3). There is no way that you'll be able to use '-norawinput' in a config with 1.2 and like Toni said the problem is long gone.
Old 08 April 2009, 20:22   #6
kirk
Zone Friend

very illuminating reply, im now begining to realise that i am gonna have to redo configs to use 1.5.3 without any probs whatsoever (or install xp on a seperate partition, but thats a whole other, tricky, option !).

i was really hoping to just shove everything across like i did when i put my winuae/lemonade folder on my xp netbook (man,i dislike vista !)
Old 08 April 2009, 20:29   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Then you got me all wrong Sorry, I seem to be quite confusing sometimes (will try to work on that ).
You don't have to do anything, unless there is a problem. Okay I give you a short howto :

Install WinUAE 1.5.3 to a different folder (if your old folder is 'C:\Amiga\WinUAE' just call the new one 'C:\Amiga\WinUAE153'.
Start WinUAE 1.5.3.
You'll see all your configs are already there and you just need to rescan your kickrom files (go to the paths window and press 'Rescan ROMs').
You can still use WinUAE 1.2
Start your configs with 1.5.3 and see if they work. A few ones might need a bit of adjustment, but that's all.

You might think that I'm quite theoretical here, but I have 2800+ configs and I update WinUAE since 1.0 on a regualar basis
Old 08 April 2009, 21:04   #8
kirk
Zone Friend

its not ur explanations at fault, its thicky me !

anyway i will have to weigh up my options to get winuae running on more than 1 pc and carrying on from where i leave off on each, but at least the replys i get here have given me the info i need to do what needs to be done.

i must confess though,lazy as i am, i wud still love to just port my winuae/lemonade installation in all its entirety to another pc and just go,safe in the knowledge that nowt is gonna go amiss when im in the zone whupping another shooters boss !

cheers
Old 09 April 2009, 03:54   #9
kirk
Zone Friend

just a quick plea here,

is it really not possible to put the -norawinput command in a config (after all, winuae can be started by just opening a config file), ive decided i really wanna attempt this, or maybe some utility that will let me link my winuae exe directly to the command so i can use a frontend (like the compatibility mode for programs when you select a previous operating system to run em),

i know im harping on about this, but ill only give up my quest when i realise its utterly impossible, but surely it must be possible to open a prog in vista with a command line without actually having to fire up the start/run box first, and every time.

cheers
Old 09 April 2009, 07:24   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You're an anxious guy kirk What you could try is to make a batch file that looks like this :
Code:
WinUAE -norawinput %1
and point this this instead of WinUAE in Lemonade. Maybe that will work
Old 09 April 2009, 18:12   #11
kirk
Zone Friend

spot on there, cos i am rather !

i dont wanna strain ur patience but cud you briefly explain how to create a batch file, cos im actually quite excited now cos i think ur suggestion cud work.

cheers
Old 09 April 2009, 18:20   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Start the Windows Editor program, paste the line from my previous post in there and save it with a name like 'WinUAE_GB.bat' to your WinUAE 1.2 folder. Make sure that the name is not 'WinUAE_GB.bat.txt' afterwards (rename the file if it is). That should do the trick.

Option #2 : Download the attached file
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinUAE_GB.zip (145 Bytes, 156 views)
Old 09 April 2009, 18:21   #13
kirk
Zone Friend

edit: actually cyberdruid, strike that last request, i forgot i can google on how to do that, sorry for expecting to be spoon fed !

cheers
Old 09 April 2009, 18:22   #14
kirk
Zone Friend

ooops youve already done it , great, thanks again, you are patient and sometimes i type before i think, anyway if off to giv it a whirl, ill let u know if it works.

cheers
Old 09 April 2009, 18:23   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well now that I have your spoon ready, you can also use it
Old 09 April 2009, 18:36   #16
kirk
Zone Friend

ah well, thanx for trying.
nowt happens when lemonade trys to start a game, i think it only only looks for winuae exe, im just gonna try to rename the batch file to exe, u never know, ill keep u posted.
Old 09 April 2009, 18:42   #17
kirk
Zone Friend

can not get it going, but at least i dont get the message that winuae can not be opened (like i did before when trying the winuae exe directly), with the batch file in place , after a moments activity (the busy icon appears) nowt appears, so at least it partially worked cos i did not windows nagging me to stop bieng a naughty boy
Old 09 April 2009, 19:11   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you rename the .bat file to WinUAE.exe, you have to rename the original WinUAE.exe too. Rename WinUAE.exe to WinUAE12.exe and change the .bat file the following way :
Code:
WinUAE12.exe -norawinput %1 %2 %3 %4
The extra '%' parameters are in there just to make sure that this is not the problem (might also be possible that this was the only problem in the first 'version'). If that doesn't work I really recommend that you switch to 1.5.3, because building workarounds that cause new problems for an old version isn't really a good idea. I can (to certain degree) understand that you want to keep 1.2, but as you can see this old version also has side effects on Vista. Well it's your choice
Old 09 April 2009, 19:24   #19
kirk
Zone Friend

thanx for reply,
what i did was edit the bat with the line

start winuae.exe -norawinput

and now clicking on the bat file WILL open winuae,whereas before it did not, its just lemonade now that is the stubborn blighter and refuses to start from the bat, but hey, thanx to you i am making some headway, the only little prob now is just lemonade to strut its stuff and accept the bat file instead of a winuae exe, man , almost there !, i hope

cheers