English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 09 October 2009, 22:15   #41
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
So are you saying you can salvage the entire disc, or at least all the files from the disc minus 1 sound file ? If so, can you see the size of the sound file and replace it with something of a similar size, just so the anim works. I wonder if the corrupt file is included within disc 1 too, as its a 2 part animation, maybe some sounds are re-used. Just ideas, i really don't know how you are ripping, wether the resultant rip is usable at all with a corrupt sector or not...

I'm really grateful for your efforts, i can live without 1 animation, as i recall it wasn't much good anyway 31 out of 32 is way better than i expected to be honest, with the discs being so old.
Yes, I have a disk image which is complete except for one block. It may be that the block is full of garbage, or maybe only one byte in the block has an error in one bit, or the true situation may be somewhere between the two. I have not checked it yet.

Also, I have recovered all the files from the disk, except for the damaged one which has also been salvaged, but is, well, damaged.

If your suggestion that the file might be included on the first disk is correct, then tomorrow I may well have the final image to upload.
Old 09 October 2009, 23:44   #42
hitm4n

So it wasn't a silly suggestion then. I'll have my eyes peeled
Old 10 October 2009, 20:56   #43
prowler
Global Moderator

I have some good news and some bad news.

Bad news first: The sound bounce file on Disk 2 of the Lemmin's Revenge Anim by Roddy McMillan is not completely recoverable. The file salvaged from the Disk using DiskSalv is 3682 bytes, whereas the file present on the disk image produced using TSGui is 4170 bytes. The difference in size is 488 bytes, i.e. there is one sector missing from the salvaged file (24 bytes of each 512-byte sector is the sector header containing checksum data, etc.). It is not clear (yet) which of the nine sectors in the file is missing, except that it is unlikely to be the last, which is only 266 bytes.
Meanwhile, the file on the disk image is 4170 bytes, with one sector replaced with whatever data was salvaged from the disk at that location and an approriate new header.
The really bad news is that the sound bounce file is not included on Disk 1.

Now the good news: I have found archives containing all the files which make up the animation on Aminet here:
http://aminet.net/search?query=AntiLemmin
The sound bounce file is contained in the AntiLemmin2.lzh archive, which contains the animation files from Disk 2 (although it is not a disk image). Even the time and date stamps are correct, but some of the files have slightly different names.
http://aminet.net/package/pix/eric/AntiLemmin2
It can be seen that the sound bounce file appears in the contents as bounce.sound.
The corresponding AntiLemmin1.lzh archive contains the animation files from Disk 1.
http://aminet.net/package/pix/eric/AntiLemmin1

A quick Google alerted me to the fact that these files were present on Aminet, and, having found them, I now have everything I need to rebuild the disk image!
Old 11 October 2009, 01:36   #44
hitm4n

excellent. gold star for prowler, top of the class. 32 out of 32 shortly then, who could ask for more cheers man, much appreciated, i hope others appreciate the new discs too and hope they end up in tosecs and peoples archives.
Old 11 October 2009, 01:45   #45
prowler
Global Moderator

It's really no trouble. I enjoy a bit of floppy disk necromancy.

I am confident that I will have the final disk image to complete the set ready for uploading tomorrow.
Old 12 October 2009, 02:26   #46
prowler
Global Moderator

Hmm... It seems that some other files didn't make it into the disk image either. Also, I'll have to check the Disk 1 image, because it looks like that's got a similar problem!

In the meantime, for you to enjoy while I'm fixing those images, I have uploaded Erik Schwartz's 1991 Anti-Lemmin Demo disks to the Zone. It requires the ECS chipset (WinUAE config: A500+).
Old 12 October 2009, 19:41   #47
hitm4n

Which by the way is far superior to the Roddy anim

I made an anim once in Moviesetter... It was shit - lol
Old 13 October 2009, 22:49   #48
prowler
Global Moderator

I have checked the Lemmin's Revenge Anim by Roddy McMillan - Disk 1 image (R.P.M.MOVIES1.adf), and it is a faithful copy of the disk.

I shall now return to the business of fixing the errors on Disk 2. There are two directories and eight files apparently missing in the disk image.

Although I have enough data to rebuild the disk image sufficiently to get the animation working, it may not necessarily end up as a genuine byte-for-byte copy of the original disk.
Old 14 October 2009, 01:16   #49
hitm4n

stay on target, stay on target...
Old 18 October 2009, 23:01   #50
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi hitm4n,

I haven't forgotten this.

Quick update:

I've been beavering away since my last post here and, as a result, I now have an image of the disk with no checksum errors and only two missing files.

I managed to UnDelete the two missing directories and six of the missing files on my disk image and overwrite the corrupted copy of the sound bounce file with a good copy from the Anti Lemmin Demo Disk 2, suitably renamed. Using an UnDelete utility has preserved the original time and date stamps on the two missing directories.

The image is now a byte-for-byte copy of the original disk except in the region adjacent to the originally corrupted sound bounce file. (I had to reset the Volume Information and time and date stamp of the MOVIESOUNDS directory following the restoration of a good copy of the sound bounce file. )

The damage that remains is causing the Sound Drop and sound entdeath.8svx file entries to be invisible to the UnDelete program.

I have good copies of the missing files, but when I copy them to the disk image, they do not overwrite the original files, but end up in an unused area of the disk.

The only way to get this disk image restored properly is to replace these files at their original location on the disk, and this is what I intend to try next...
Old 19 October 2009, 03:47   #51
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I have good copies of the missing files, but when I copy them to the disk image, they do not overwrite the original files, but end up in an unused area of the disk.

The only way to get this disk image restored properly is to replace these files at their original location on the disk, and this is what I intend to try next...
Let us know when/if you manage to do it . Personally, I'm very interested.
By the way, I think that Galahad (and/or StingRay) could give you a hint or two on this subject...
Old 19 October 2009, 19:03   #52
hitm4n

why must they be in the same sectors as the disc i sent, so long as the disc and anim works ?
Old 19 October 2009, 21:20   #53
prowler
Global Moderator

When I said that the good copies of the missing files do not overwrite the original files, but instead end up in an unused area of the disk, I was really using the term "unused" for want of a better word.

There are, in fact, a large number of loose blocks on the disk (i.e. files without a file header) and I can't be certain that they're not used in some way by the demo program. For this reason, I would like to restore the missing files to their original location.

Those two files were salvaged from the original disk correctly by the DiskSalv utility, so they must be intact. I intend to use a disk sector editing tool to capture, or at least identify, the sectors containing the file headers for the missing files and paste the information into the disk image.

The two missing files span 49 x 512-byte sectors on the disk. I'm hoping that it will only be necessary to copy the two sectors containing the file headers in order to restore the files to where they belong.

Then, all that will be required is to clean up the gaps at the end of each of the three files, i.e. the two missing ones and the sound bounce file I restored to the image yesterday.
Old 20 October 2009, 22:25   #54
prowler
Global Moderator

Nearly there!

I now have a disk image with no checksum errors and only one file missing.

The original disk has one track which is so badly damaged that the TrackEd disk sector editor is unable to read any of its 11 sectors.

The bad track also seems to have been somehow responsible for corrupting the immediately following area of the original disk image, the corruption continuing for a further 38 sectors.

Thus, one damaged track caused the corruption of three adjacent files in the original disk image.

Fortunately, the bad track contains only one file header, and this file spans only four of the damaged sectors.

This evening, I used TrackEd to recover all 38 undamaged sectors from the original disk and pasted them into the disk image to reinstate one of the missing files.

The last missing file is only 1210 bytes and belongs in the disk image between the two files recovered previously.

I have two good copies of this file: one recovered from the original disk using DiskSalv, and the other found on the Anti-Lemmin Demo disk 2.

One difficulty remains: I can restore the file to the disk image using a binary file editor, then use TrackEd to recalculate the checksums to repair three of the four remaining sectors, but there is still the missing file header which will leave the last remaining sector incomplete.

The DiskSalv utility can evidently read data from damaged areas of a disk, irrespective of checksum errors. I will study the documentation to see if it is possible to capture, or at least display, any of the damaged disk sectors, in particular the one containing the elusive file header.
Old 22 October 2009, 22:22   #55
prowler
Global Moderator

I have now restored all files to their original location on the R.P.M.MOVIES2.adf disk image, and have had the Lemmin's Revenge Anim running under WinUAE in an A500+ configuration.

I have updated the Demos.zip file in the Zone to reflect this.

All 32 disks have now been imaged successfully.

The complete list of all disk images in the collection is as follows:

The coverdisks
CU Amiga - 113 - Clarissa 2.0 (CU_113.adf)
CU Amiga - 136 - XiPaint (CU_136.adf)
CU Amiga - 142 - Upper Disk Tools (UDT_1.01.adf)
CU Amiga - 143 - Mikro Mortal Tennis (MMTDemo.adf)
Amiga Format - 78a - Snap Maps (AF78a.adf)
Amiga Format - 78b - Blitz Bombers (AF78b.adf)
Amiga Format - 83a - Scape Maker (AF83a.adf)
Amiga Format - 84a - Game Engine (AF84a.adf)
Amiga Computing - October 1994 - 3D Textures (3DTextures.adf)
Amiga Computing - February 1995 - Anim Workshop (AWorks.adf)
Amiga Computing - January 1997 - Utilities Unleashed (AC-108c.adf
Amiga Computing - March 1997 - Tool-Ey Unbelievable (AC-110b.adf)
Amiga Action - Christmas 1995 - Disk 2 - The Winning Post (The Winning Post.adf)
Amiga Action - May 1996 - Disk 1 - Charlie Chimp Remix (Charlie Chimp.adf)
Amiga Action - May 1996 - Disk 2 - Saturday Night Snooker (SNSnooker.adf)
Amiga Action - May 1996 - Disk 3 - Munch (Munch.adf)

The dodgy stuff
Stag - Buk Stag 1-7 - Adult only (STAG_1.adf-STAG_7.adf)

The demos
Digital Force Music Selector (D.F.M.S.adf)
Lemmin's Revenge Anim by Roddy McMillan - Disk 1 (R.P.M.MOVIES1.adf)
Lemmin's Revenge Anim by Roddy McMillan - Disk 2 (R.P.M.MOVIES2.adf)
Focused on Art - Anarchy and Vision Slideshow (DIGITAL - REALITY PACK21.adf)
Devil Star - Virtual Dreams - AGA - Polka Brothers Demo (Polka Brothers..adf) [sic]

The games
Imbrium (Imbrium.adf)
Pacman Worlds (PucmanWorlds.adf) [sic]
Gravity Power + Level Editor (SQUINT-5.adf)
Bratwurst AGA (BRAT+WWN.adf)

I shall post full details of how I recovered the final disk image tomorrow, with links to the tools used.

I think I'd better mention that the following disks in this set have non-standard boot code which may trigger virus warnings:

Amiga Action - Christmas 1995 - Disk 2 - The Winning Post (The Winning Post.adf)
Stag - Buk Stag 1-7 - Adult only (STAG_1.adf-STAG_7.adf)
Digital Force Music Selector (D.F.M.S.adf)
Lemmin's Revenge Anim by Roddy McMillan - Disk 1 (R.P.M.MOVIES1.adf)
Lemmin's Revenge Anim by Roddy McMillan - Disk 2 (R.P.M.MOVIES2.adf)
Focused on Art - Anarchy and Vision Slideshow (DIGITAL - REALITY PACK21.adf)
Gravity Power + Level Editor (SQUINT-5.adf)
Old 23 October 2009, 22:38   #56
prowler
Global Moderator

Floppy disk Recovering the R.P.M.MOVIES2.adf disk image

When Amiga Explorer failed to get a complete image of the disk, I ran TSgui v1.8 repeatedly until I had an image with no checksum errors. Cylinders 6, 8 and 71 had flaky sectors giving bad checksums and Cylinder 47 had a missing sector header. Nothing could be done about the missing sector header, but eventually the bad sector checksums on Cylinders 6, 8 and 71 were resolved and I got an image with no checksum errors.

I then used DiskSalv v2r11.32 to salvage all recoverable data from the disk. DiskSalv recovered good copies of all files, complete with their date and time stamps, except MOVIESOUNDS/sound bounce, which was incomplete. At this point, I assumed that all I needed to do was find a good copy of this file and overwrite the bad copy on the disk image.

I discovered that disk 2 of the Anti-Lemmin Demo on Aminet contained a good copy of the file and downloaded it.

However, on mounting the disk image in WinUAE, I disovered that the following directories and files, which DiskSalv had recovered from the disk, were missing: c.info, lem.info, MoviePlayer, s, s/startup-sequence, libs, libs/icon.library, libs/mathtrans.library, MOVIESOUNDS/Sound Drop and MOVIESOUNDS/sound entdeath.8svx.

I downloaded UnDelete v1.02 from Aminet, and used the command line tool in WinUAE to UnDelete everything except the two missing MOVIESOUNDS files, which could not be found. In this way, the date and time stamps of the two directories were preserved.

Next, I overwrote the bad copy of MOVIESOUNDS/sound bounce in the disk image with a good one. This updated the date and time stamp of the MOVIESOUNDS directory and the Volume Information, which I reset by restoring the fields from the previous disk image.

(Although I had yet to discover it, the TSgui program had, because of the missing sector header in Cylinder 47 of the disk, copied Cylinder 46 into both Cylinders 46 (Blocks 1012-1033) and 47 (Blocks 1034-1055) of the disk image, which caused both the Sound Drop and sound entdeath.8svx files to go missing. The latest version of TSgui is 2.5b13; it may be better at dealing with disk errors.)

There was no sign at all of the missing Sound Drop and sound entdeath.8svx files in the disk image. However, the information had to be available on the original disk somehow, because DiskSalv was able to recover these files successfully.

So I used TrackEd v1.24 to search the original disk for both filenames. Sound Drop couldn't be found, but sound entdeath.8svx was found in Block 1047. In fact, TrackEd couldn't read any of Blocks 1034-1044 from Track 47, so I wrote each of Blocks 1045-1082 to files, copied them to my PC running WinUAE and used TrackEd to paste them into the disk image to restore the sound entdeath.8svx file.

I was now looking for a tool which would capture or display the information which DiskSalv had used to recover the remaining Sound Drop file. I discovered that DiskMon Tools has the ability to repair damaged tracks and save them to another disk.

I downloaded DiskMon Tools v3.13 and used this feature to repair Track 47 of the original disk (Block 1036 couldn't be salvaged; this must be the one with the missing sector header), and saved the result to another disk. I wrote Blocks 1034, 1035 and 1037-1044 to files (Block 1036 had been filled with zeroes), copied them to my PC and used TrackEd to paste Blocks 1043 (Sound Drop file header) and 1044 (first 488 bytes of Sound Drop file) into the disk image to restore the Sound Drop file and fix the disk image.

(The sound bounce file header is in Block 1033, so this file was completely corrupted by the missing Cylinder 47, but Blocks 1034-1042 of the disk image were repaired by importing a good copy of the file.)

Last edited by prowler; 25 October 2009 at 23:26. Reason: Corrections.
Old 24 October 2009, 00:32   #57
hitm4n

LOL. Lots of technical stuff and something i would have given up on early on, but i see now you enjoy these little challenges and its great they are all backed up and shared. Many thanks.

Its been many many years since i watched the lemmins demo and i remember thinking back then that it was shit "because it was nowhere near Schwartz's stuff". How is it really? As bad as i remember or worth another watch...?
Old 24 October 2009, 15:46   #58
Supamax
Da Digger :)

@ prowler

Brilliant, brilliant recovery!
And many hints for similar future recoveries.
Old 24 October 2009, 16:35   #59
prowler
Global Moderator

@Supamax,

Thanks, mate! It's good to know the effort is appreciated. It makes it all the more worthwhile.
Old 21 December 2009, 16:35   #60
Philly

Hello to everyone here! This is my first post on this site... so go easy on me

I realise this is an old thread with some more resent posts on it but it features near the top of my google search for "Jolly Rogers cook book". Before you assume Im a 15yr old nut job asking for something naughty I DONT WANT THE COOK BOOK ITSELF (and Im 33, lol). After all it’s widely available on the net as text files and on BTTR as an .ADF. Its the Demo on the beginning of the JRCB version that I had that I would love to see again and its not included on the adf in BTTR. Can anybody shed any light on this mysterious demo which actually featured on the TV news in the north east of England in the background as the police put an amnesty out to parents to hand the disk in if their kidz had gotten hold of it???
It featured mellow music, scrolley (of course) and a 3d space manta-ray like creature spiraling through a galaxy of stars...

That’s all I can remember Im afraid but I`ve searched for it for a long long time on and off and even searched through old stuff at my mams place for the disk I once had but all to no avail.
If its available with or without the rest of the disk Id love to see it again...
Hope you can help! Many thanks in advance if you can!

Philly.

P.S. I cant yet enter the zone to look at the adf described here so i dont know if its the one?

Last edited by Philly; 21 December 2009 at 16:43. Reason: +info