English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 16 May 2004, 20:43   #1
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

something like amidock

are there any applications like "amidock" that will work in Amiga Workbench 3.0??
Old 16 May 2004, 23:48   #2
RetroMan

Look out for Amistart on Aminet
Old 17 May 2004, 00:59   #3
Amiga1992

Isn't Amistart a windows start menu thing? Amidock is something like the NeXTStep dockbar innit? what is that you want bro? i'd like a dock-icons thingy. Got Toolmanager but never understood it completely.
Old 20 May 2004, 01:31   #4
thinlega

thanks for the reply retroman but like akira says it is a "'dock-icons thingy" I am really after...I did email the amidock creator and he was amazed that people still use such an old workbench(3.0) so no luck there then
Old 20 May 2004, 10:43   #5
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

It's called "ToolManager" and v3.1 can be found on aminet.
Old 22 May 2004, 18:21   #6
thinlega

wow...i did not realise how good tool manager was Hot keys and a nice looking dock thanks guys!!!!

<----I love this little dude
Old 10 May 2012, 05:29   #7
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlega View Post
wow...i did not realise how good tool manager was Hot keys and a nice looking dock thanks guys!!!!
Necro bump..
Just got Tool Manager working on my Classic WB setup...
Nice..
I was disappointed that I had to read the manual tho..

And even more disappointed when I realized that the solution was drag and drop.
I was trying to figure out how to "attach" the EXEC and IMAGE I created to the DOCK I created, and I just couldn't find a menu or drop-down list for it.

For some reason, drag and drop WITHIN a program didn't occur to me..

Oh well, got it set up now for MiamiDX and iBrowse.
I do need to better and smaller icons, and I'll add some more programs to it, but it's looking like exactly what I need..

desiv
Old 15 May 2012, 16:37   #8
fishyfish
Banned

Amistart is hugely configurable and can be used as either a dock or a taskbar (or even a combination of the 2).
Judging by the comments Ive read quite a few times it appears not many people have bothered to learn to use Amistart properly. It really is very configurable.
Old 16 May 2012, 12:50   #9
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I made a guide some time ago for ToolManager that you can check here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/939939/Guide...oolManager.pdf
Old 16 May 2012, 13:17   #10
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Maybe you should make a smililar guide covering AmiStart too mfilos.
Old 03 October 2012, 22:42   #11
N-Ed

Bump again.

Have installed Toolmanager 3.1 and follow mfilos guide. But no Dock will show up. Have tried with both Brush and Icons, still nothing. Would have thought setup was a breeze, that is IF it would have worked
Installed it in my CWB ADVSP 3.1, it's present in WBStartup. Added group Games And Objects Tinylauncher and IGame for both Exec and Image. Attatched Lemmings.brush for Tiny and Pacman.brush for IGame. Dragged and dropped both to Dock, Group Games, object Game Dock. Still nothing

Is there some magic involved in running this?
Old 05 October 2012, 18:02   #12
emufan

i tried to use some icons from aminet, and all failed. only gif and png i could add as dock images.
there are png and gif datatypes ( came with AmiSYS ), also installed icon datatype, but it did not help.
try to find some normal images, gif, png, iff and add them as images.
Old 05 October 2012, 23:37   #13
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I'm using Toolmanager also in my new custom ClassicWB 3.9 system on my A600 cause it's a LOT lighter and looks awesomely well with small icons. (Amidock and small icons looks crap).
I only use .brush images and it works like a charm.
I can't say I had great success with pictures but I haven't tried them a lot as .brush images suited me very well as you can see from the following screenshot.

IMPORTANT: The only thing I missed writing in my guide was the declaration of Workbench as Public screen under Dock settings. Without this setting every time a program opens a full screen, on quit you loose the dock
It's on the ReadMe file ofc (under FAQ) but since most people don't read the ReadMe files, I thought about writing here as well lol
Old 06 October 2012, 02:03   #14
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Cool screen!
Old 06 October 2012, 09:46   #15
emufan

yes, brushs working as well - animbrushs do not. aminet got many packages with "dock images" - tested some, but most come with .info files.
i can add these files, but they are not displayed - possibly N-Ed was using them too?!
within the toolmanager.guide i could not find a list of supported files, maybe i just missed it - would be of some help to know whch ones are supported.
Old 06 October 2012, 13:31   #16
N-Ed

Got some GIFs working now, so now of to find some nice GIFs

I don't know what I would do without EAB, it always turns out that I know nothing about the Amiga at every obstacle. I just hope that I, after I accumulate some knowledge, can be of help to other newbies

So thanks for your help guys, and thanks to everybody who has spent time to help me this last year and a half!
Old 31 May 2015, 23:03   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
I made a guide some time ago for ToolManager that you can check here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/939939/Guide...oolManager.pdf
Marios I'm configuring right now ToolManager but I find a problem that your wonderful OS39 ECS also has: You've got for example "ClearRam" or Hippoplayer in Exec and Images, but they aren't shown in the Dock.

Do you have an idea what the problem is?

EDIT: It seems I've got to throw them to the "Dock" in the preferences before, that's what it seems.

Marios I don't think your guide is right from the beginning "So… first step is to create our list with the executable programs that we want on our Dock."

The way I've added each program is to add them first (drag&drop) to the "Dock", "Main". This way they get added to the Exec and Images, and later you can edit the image they use, it's also easier. Also the icons of the programs it selects are shown here (AKReal), so no brush or conversion needed.

Nevertheless I am using 16 colors png images -without problems-, although they don't keep the transparency but a black background. I've seen that some of the icons of the programs seem to keep the transparency, like wookiechat, but they show the grey background so I prefer a black one.

Also the program likes to hang from time to time when setting the preferences, but it's already done so now it works perfect .

I've got to say that this seems the fastest dock from booting of all I've tried . To be perfect it only miss a background option with transparent icons and the possibility to be vertical too.

BTW, does anybody know where to contact Stefan Becker? I've tried 5 emails without success, now waiting for an answer on youtube.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 June 2015 at 21:31.