English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 April 2024, 16:02   #1
CubeTheory

Are All Amiga 1200 cases created equal?

I have a rev 1D1 A1200 which is all original, as far as I know. but the case is quite literally a colour swatch gradient fading from original Amiga off-white in the top right to a fairly yucky yellowy-brown in the bottom left. I can either retrobright it or paint it, and im leaning towards the latter.

So, at our Amiga user group meetup last weekend, I bought a case of another member, for a decent price, with all trapdoors, if fabulous condition with almost no aging, the Idea being if I cock the paint-job up, I have a case I can keep original and use.

I have no idea what revision board came out of this, and never thought to ask, but can probably find out. but I transferred my board with original bottom shield over to the case yesterday and had quite a struggle getting it to sit right. I eventually got it in and screwed down and looking ok, but it wasn't until I'd fastened everything back together that I noticed my Tom adapter wouldn't sit in the mouse port properly. Another thing I noticed, is a 3d-printed rear trapdoor that was too small for the aperture in my original case fitted a lot better in the new one.

I always assumed that the case never changed from revision to revision. guess I was wrong.

has anyone ever experienced this and any tips for ensuring a good fit?
Old 08 April 2024, 17:48   #2
derSammler

They were made in different factories around the world and the ones from ESCOM are different again (they don't seem to yellow).

So certainly no - they were not all made equal.
Old 08 April 2024, 21:42   #3
CubeTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
They were made in different factories around the world and the ones from ESCOM are different again (they don't seem to yellow).

So certainly no - they were not all made equal.
Good point and something I forgot to mention.

These are both Commodore cases and both made in the Philippines, so I would have expected these to be pretty much the same.
Old 08 April 2024, 23:27   #4
No.3

"different" cases can be produced using the same injection moulding tools in the same factory.
The most important difference in this "case" (hahaha) is the used raw-plastic, the used colorizer and the used additives (if any).
Old 08 April 2024, 23:48   #5
stx2199

all Amiga1200s done in 1995 and in 1996 by Escom have better plastics and they are much more resistant to turning yellow

The comodore A1200s manufactured between 1992-1994 were done with buggy plastics and they turn yellow on their own

the same for all commodore Amiga previous models ....they all tend to turn yellow in a bad way
Old 09 April 2024, 09:58   #6
CubeTheory

It's not so much the colouring im concerned about, rather the fit. It all looks pretty much identical, but the recent purchase is just a bit snug. I'll pull the Amiga apart again and do some measuring.

The rear trapdoor was the most surprising with my 3d print being so loose in my original case but an almost perfect fit in the recent one
Old 09 April 2024, 11:47   #7
Calabazam

It seems there are different numbered revisions of A1200 cases, at least it is what is said when you buy LED replacements, including Bitfrost.
However, i dont know what are the actual differences or how one can identify a revision.
Any idea?
Old 09 April 2024, 12:02   #8
Snoopy1234

The A1200 has different case revisions. I didn't know but I bought a new A1200.Net blue case for an Icedrake setup and the Rev. 2B mobo PCMCIA slot doesn't line up.