English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 February 2016, 22:29   #1
-Acid-

Outfall & Slam Tilt compatibility

I really like the Licenseware game Outfall (a great Puyo Puyo clone) but have problems starting it up.

I'm running it on an A4000 with CS2 060 and CV3D/64 (with SD) - no matter what WB install I use when I load it up the screen goes black and that's it. I've tried a plain 3.0 with and without set patch running, Classic WB Lite, and Classic WB Full and get the same thing every time. The exact same thing happens on my Apollo 060 A1200 as well.

The only way the game will work is to boot with no startup sequence from the ESM and start it from the prompt. Has anyone any idea how to start it from WB?

And on to Slam Tilt when I attempt to start this from WB the game starts but the screen stays on the WB screen. The game is running and the sounds etc are playing and I can blindly quit out of the game using the keyboard. It's as if the gfx card forgets to change to the AGA screen mode and just sits on the 800x600 WB screen. However if I start the game from HiRes for example it works fine and switches screens.

I know the Whdload install fixes this but is there any way to fix the normally installed version?
Old 05 February 2016, 09:18   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Outfall seems to use killaga, could that be the problem?

You may need to edit the icon script to remove the killaga part?
Old 05 February 2016, 11:20   #3
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Outfall seems to use killaga, could that be the problem?

You may need to edit the icon script to remove the killaga part?
Hi thanks for the reply

I'm loading outfall from a Shell directly launching the executable. As a test I tried using killaga with it and it still doesn't work with it (also tried toggleaga). It just baffles me as to why it works from the no boot sequence command prompt but not anywhere else.
Old 05 February 2016, 11:37   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Well I would imagine that there is something in your SS that Outfall doesn't like. Finding out what will take a bit of detective work.
Old 05 February 2016, 22:56   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Outfall is to be performed with or without Killaga and it requires a screen PAL, also it works with OS3 060/JIT

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 18 December 2016 at 18:57.
Old 05 February 2016, 23:22   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Slam Tilt requires a screen PAL, also it works with OS3 060 not JIT

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 March 2016 at 14:02.
Old 05 February 2016, 23:46   #7
DamienD
Banned

Re; Outfall...

Thanks -Acid-; I love Tetris / Puzzle Bobble / Puzznic / Puyo Puyo etc... type games and didn't even know about this one...

Now added to my ultimate WinUAE collection which is detailed here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80841. Cheers man
Old 05 February 2016, 23:47   #8
Amiga1992

AMIGASYSTEM, he is trying to run it on REAL hardware, not WinUAE, so it doesn't matter what your test on WinUAE produced.
Old 06 February 2016, 00:19   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
AMIGASYSTEM, he is trying to run it on REAL hardware, not WinUAE, so it doesn't matter what your test on WinUAE produced.
Apart from the fact that Real or WinUAE does not change anything, indeed if it works on WinUAE for sure it works on a Amiga Real !

Slam Tilt and Outfall i got them from an old backup of my A4000/060 Piacasso II and my A1200/030, where we can assure you that work the same way.
Old 06 February 2016, 02:39   #10
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Apart from the fact that Real or WinUAE does not change anything, indeed if it works on WinUAE for sure it works on a Amiga Real !

Slam Tilt and Outfall i got them from an old backup of my A4000/060 Piacasso II and my A1200/030, where we can assure you that work the same way.
I can assure you Outfall will not run on my real hardware from workbench. Even on a plain WB 3.0 install it will not work (only loadmodule extra to get all of the HD accessible). Like I said Slam Tilt works just not from a P96 screen, I know that is the problem I want to know if there's a fix that isn't whdload for it.
Old 06 February 2016, 02:45   #11
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Re; Outfall...

Thanks -Acid-; I love Tetris / Puzzle Bobble / Puzznic / Puyo Puyo etc... type games and didn't even know about this one...

Now added to my ultimate WinUAE collection which is detailed here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80841. Cheers man
Ye it's a proper hidden gem imo probably didn't get much exposure at the time due to it being licenseware. It's funny I played Outfall before I saw Kirby's Ghost Trap on the SNES and realised it was a clone of the Compile original. I still prefer the Amiga game, played it 20 year on and off
Old 06 February 2016, 07:30   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
I can assure you Outfall will not run on my real hardware from workbench. Even on a plain WB 3.0 install it will not work (only loadmodule extra to get all of the HD accessible). Like I said Slam Tilt works just not from a P96 screen, I know that is the problem I want to know if there's a fix that isn't whdload for it.
I did not understand what you wrote, on a AMiGA real with graphics card to use the mode PAL It must have a Monitor RGB/VGA.

Tested Outfall with Workbench 3.0 (Floppy), Outfall It has started perfectly However, you must use the command killaga Killaga

Comand: Killaga Outfall

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 September 2016 at 01:24.
Old 06 February 2016, 08:12   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Re; Outfall...

Seen your ultimate WinUAE collection, something is still missing, if you want to add these, probably you are missing other

[ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ],
Old 06 February 2016, 12:37   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Seen your ultimate WinUAE collection, something is still missing, if you want to add these, probably you are missing other

[ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ],
Cheers AMIGASYSTEM; will check 'em out
Old 06 February 2016, 19:04   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Cheers AMIGASYSTEM; will check 'em out
I did not get it well, do you want me to find other titles that are not on your list?
I compared Your List with old ones of my children "only games AGA", I found that in your list missing 127 titles, I am attaching a text file !

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 23 June 2016 at 21:43.
Old 06 February 2016, 19:10   #16
Amiga1992

Quote:
That is a gigantic fallacy. It doesn't work that way at all and the OP is asking for help running it in his setup (REAL Amiga 4000 with CSmk2+CV3D) which is NOT your WinUAE setup.
Old 06 February 2016, 19:19   #17
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
indeed if it works on WinUAE for sure it works on a Amiga Real !.
I agree with Akira, It doesn't always work that way. I have made a working floppy/script that works perfectly within WinUAE, but has failed on a real Amiga.
Old 06 February 2016, 19:41   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

Arnie did not agree with you, it can be the opposite that WinUAE He fails to perfectly emulate the real Amiga, but if an application runs on WinUAE almost certainly it will work on a real Amiga, certainly the real Amiga is configured. As said above "Outfall & Slam Tilt" work perfectly on my A4000/060 GFX, of course, moving from VGA to PAL (Monitor)
Old 06 February 2016, 20:05   #19
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I did not get it well, do you want me to find other titles that are not on your list?
I compared Your List with old ones of my children "only games AGA", I found that in your list missing 127 titles, I am attaching a text file !
Thanks; will work my way through them
Old 06 February 2016, 20:16   #20
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Arnie did not agree with you, it can be the opposite that WinUAE He fails to perfectly emulate the real Amiga, but if an application runs on WinUAE almost certainly it will work on a real Amiga, certainly the real Amiga is configured. As said above "Outfall & Slam Tilt" work perfectly on my A4000/060 GFX, of course, moving from VGA to PAL (Monitor)
Well we'll have to agree to disagree.

Outfall works for me in WinUAE but, I haven't got a A4000/060 so I can't help -Acid- further.