English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 07 November 2017, 14:59   #1
system11

Archipelagos struggles

So I've been trying to play Archipelagos and the cracked versions have problems on every fifth level, so I bought an original. The original reads a couple of sectors, the screen turns light blue, then the drive makes read error sounds and turns deep blue and that's as far as it gets.

So I bought another original, and this one does exactly the same thing in exactly the same place. Does this sound like some kind of drive compatibility problem? It seems to have been okay with any ADF files I've written to it.

Next I downloaded and IPF file of what claims to be the European release, but the word check doesn't match the manual that came with my originals.

Does it sound like I have a bad floppy drive? Does anyone have a version of this game that fully works?
Old 07 November 2017, 15:08   #2
capehorn

Here are two additional sources for the word check:

http://hol.abime.net/3299/manual
http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_pictu...ilesize=318889

I was going to suggest downloading it from here as well but it doesn't seem to be available.
Old 07 November 2017, 15:11   #3
DH
Global Moderator

Coversdisk is broken too, something to do with the copy protection iirc, and that's why there's no download, although somewhere it has been fixed by a well known someone, problem is, it was so hush, hush, that it never materialized because of Website changes and somehow it was lost
Old 07 November 2017, 15:28   #4
system11

Second link doesn't seem to work for me, the manual in the first link is the same one I now have two of That one definitely doesn't match the IPF file I found.

I've seen another variant on eBay with a different shape manual and a red disc (perhaps this is the version I have an IPF for), so I've bought that and I've also just bought a replacement floppy drive. I really can't believe I would have two identically faulty disks.

Of all the games I thought it would be difficult to play again, this was not high on the list. I spent time designing ordering and building my floppy drive switcher just for this game...
Old 07 November 2017, 15:46   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

The Archipelagos loader will only work on a plain 68000 Amiga, it uses CPU dependent timing loops which fail on faster machines. Try disabling the cache, it might help to get the game working. Emphasis on might.
Old 07 November 2017, 16:04   #6
system11

I feel so dumb.

I wonder if amigastore will let me cancel that floppy drive order.

Thanks for solving the mystery - unfortunately that means I can't run the game with the accelerator, which is something I'd planned to do.

Does a version exist at all without that awful loader but with all the levels included? The cracks seem to lack every 5th one meaning you can't really progress very far.
Old 07 November 2017, 16:20   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

You can use the WHDLoad version which was updated not that long ago by yours truly.
Old 07 November 2017, 18:06   #8
system11

Thanks, took a while to get it working but it seems to now. However, seems that even though I'm booting in 68030 mode it's somehow only running the game at 68k speed?

Edit: reading many documents - added Cache and DCache to the launcher tooltype and now it's running fast again, are there any other 68030 flags I should put in there?

Last edited by system11; 07 November 2017 at 18:54.