English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 August 2015, 11:26   #61
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
I'd suggest why nobody has made one is because unlike low voltage dc stuff any main power supply needs to obtain certification before its sold or its illegal. Dodgy mains power supply design can kill people
Another reason could be that small developers are reluctant to take the chance of people coming after them looking for easy "compo".

I am fully aware of all regulatory obligations regarding power supplies. I once worked for one of the largest computer suppliers in the UK, and I was not only responsible for electrical safety under the Low Voltage Directive, but also for Electromagnetic Compatability, both Immunity and Emissions.

I while back I designed a power supply for powering my power amps and active crossover filters.

I was investigated by Trading Standards following a complaint by a rather paranoid and silly customer. They purchased some power supplies and some other stuff and not only gave my products a good checking out, but also the quality of my support.

I was allowed to continue selling my power supplies, which have gone on to be a very good source of income.

I think another reason why a C64 psu replacement has not been produced, is that there is simply no opportunity for a reasonable profit. As we have seen, people want to pay something in the order of £20-£25 pounds . A developer would be lucky to squeeze £5 profit out of that. Considering a computer power supply would take over an hour to build and test, that results in a crazy situation where a skilled engineer is earning a lower hourly rate than a 12 year old newspaper delivery boy.

That can't be right can it?

Last edited by Mounty; 12 August 2015 at 11:27. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 12 August 2015, 11:44   #62
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Why don't you crunch some numbers, give a rough estimate of how much a c64 PS would be and gauge interest ?

If not enough people are interested then shelve it.
Old 12 August 2015, 12:27   #63
BarryB
Amigaholic

Some people have no idea of time/costs needed to develop a safe and stable product, even then it still might not sell as well as expected, make people put a deposit down or kickstarter it.

I'd definitely buy a couple of new C64 PSUs, cost will outweigh the costs of repairs 'when' not 'if' the original PSU goes bang! I use a MMC Replay Cart and also have JiffyDOS in both of my C64s, the original PSU copes with all these so if a replacement does the same i'd buy them, needs a nice case though!

Amiga PSU i'd need it to cope with an indi AGA, Blizzard 1230 so might not be for me that one!
Old 12 August 2015, 12:38   #64
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I think it's human nature when asked "How much would you pay for this", they're always going to come up with the lowest price they can think of. Who wants to pay more than they can for a product?

It would be better to state a price and ask "Who's interested", you'll be surprised what people will pay, look at the recent Motherboard and Case projects.
Old 12 August 2015, 14:57   #65
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
As we have seen, people want to pay something in the order of £20-£25 pounds.
Again, who are these 'people'? Don't you mean person?
Old 12 August 2015, 15:24   #66
Vot

Quote:
Another reason could be that small developers are reluctant to take the chance of people coming after them looking for easy "compo".
All the more reason that you should make sure it has all the required compliance testing.

Quote:
I am fully aware of all regulatory obligations regarding power supplies. I once worked for one of the largest computer suppliers in the UK, and I was not only responsible for electrical safety under the Low Voltage Directive, but also for Electromagnetic Compatability, both Immunity and Emissions.

I while back I designed a power supply for powering my power amps and active crossover filters.

I was investigated by Trading Standards following a complaint by a rather paranoid and silly customer. They purchased some power supplies and some other stuff and not only gave my products a good checking out, but also the quality of my support.

I was allowed to continue selling my power supplies, which have gone on to be a very good source of income.

I didn't ask for your resume or qualifications. As i said, i believe no one has produced one because it requires certification I'm guessing CE compliance in the EU. (In Australia it requires an a-tick). Im assuming the cost of the compliance testing makes it not viable for small quantities.
Old 12 August 2015, 16:28   #67
Amiga1992

Quote:
I think another reason why a C64 psu replacement has not been produced
What are you talking about?
It has been linked to you earlier a link to Carlssen's page where it shows the PSUs he's been produced for a WHILE and that he sells, and anyone needing a C64 PSU replacement should get one of those which are already available.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/custom%20ps.html
Old 12 August 2015, 20:42   #68
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
Again, who are these 'people'? Don't you mean person?
I doubt very much that only one person wants mass produced prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
I didn't ask for your resume or qualifications.
I know you didn't ask, but I felt like giving it anyway. Alright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
What are you talking about?
It has been linked to you earlier a link to Carlssen's page where it shows the PSUs he's been produced for a WHILE and that he sells, and anyone needing a C64 PSU replacement should get one of those which are already available.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/custom%20ps.html
If there is one already available why is everone urging me to develop one?

Anyway, back to the original topic (Amiga PSU):

I have an idea for a single-box solution that most people should be happy with. It will be cheap, probably the cheapest solution so far, and more compact than the original. I'm waiting for some equipment coming so I'm not going to say any more until I have done some tests.
Old 13 August 2015, 01:43   #69
Amiga1992

Quote:
If there is one already available why is everone urging me to develop one?
Nobody is urging you to develop anything. It seems to me you are misreading most people's words here.
Old 13 August 2015, 08:52   #70
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Nobody is urging you to develop anything. It seems to me you are misreading most people's words here.
Not true.

Read back through the thread and you will see that on several occasions I have been encouraged to develop an improved C64 PSU.

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION - GUYS, DO YOU NEED ME TO DEVELOP AN IMPROVED C64 PSU OR NOT?
Old 13 August 2015, 09:52   #71
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Not true.

Read back through the thread and you will see that on several occasions I have been encouraged to develop an improved C64 PSU.

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION - GUYS, DO YOU NEED ME TO DEVELOP AN IMPROVED C64 PSU OR NOT?
YES, PLEASE. Just make sure the price is OK
Old 13 August 2015, 11:58   #72
john1979

Quote:
I doubt very much that only one person wants mass produced prices.
Well you inferred that from me, so you're only guessing. If Ray's PSUs are selling at higher prices, why not yours?

Quote:
I have an idea for a single-box solution that most people should be happy with. It will be cheap, probably the cheapest solution so far, and more compact than the original.
What do you call cheap? How come the Amiga one is cheap but the C64 one not?
Old 13 August 2015, 12:41   #73
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
YES, PLEASE. Just make sure the price is OK
Quote:
Well you inferred that from me, so you're only guessing. If Ray's PSUs are selling at higher prices, why not yours?

Come on peeps, you can't have it both ways. You either want a C64 replacement or you don't, price is irrelevant at this stage. Let Mounty announce what he's planning then decide if you want it or not.
Old 13 August 2015, 13:21   #74
robinsonb5

Quote:
I'd guess that the potential Amiga design will be able to use ready-assembled commodity parts and modules, whereas the 9v AC requirement is unusual enough that a C64 PSU would have to be built from scratch?
Old 13 August 2015, 14:13   #75
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Just to comment that Ray's psu costs around 100€ for what I remember. That's why I didn't buy it.

I need one, but I won't spend that. What I need more is a better Amiga Psu. If it powers on my heavy loaded Amiga I would spend that on it.

To be clear: the amount of money I am willing to pay depends on the reliability of the offered product.
Old 13 August 2015, 14:25   #76
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

So what's wrong with Ray's psu, not reliable enough or too expensive or both?
Old 13 August 2015, 16:35   #77
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
I'd guess that the potential Amiga design will be able to use ready-assembled commodity parts and modules, whereas the 9v AC requirement is unusual enough that a C64 PSU would have to be built from scratch?
I'd say that's a fair assessment.

Quote:

Yep but it's an educated guess.

Very cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Just to comment that Ray's psu costs around 100€ for what I remember. That's why I didn't buy it.

I need one, but I won't spend that. What I need more is a better Amiga Psu. If it powers on my heavy loaded Amiga I would spend that on it.

To be clear: the amount of money I am willing to pay depends on the reliability of the offered product.
I'm afraid I won't be catering for heavy loaders.

It might be worth mentioning that there's a limit to how much current you can blast through your Amiga. You can't keep hanging peripherals off it and beefing the supply supply ad infinitum. Eventually something will blow...
Old 13 August 2015, 16:44   #78
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Mounty I only need a PSU that delivers 5 volts to the Amiga socket. I only receive there 4.6 or around, I don't remember. Let's see, my ATX outputs 4,9 volts (I've got a led screen showing that), and there are 2 meters of not so thick cable connecting later to a bad amiga psu socket.

You also won't need much watts in the psu, only the ripple is important. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ope#post837066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
So what's wrong with Ray's psu, not reliable enough or too expensive or both?
No one else is more reliable with a Commodore. It's too expensive comparing what the C64 costs. That's my opinion but I have two working ones, so my third one can wait.
Old 13 August 2015, 17:24   #79
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'd be interested in 2 x C64 PSU!

Some nice looking enclosures here:
http://www.jprelec.co.uk/store.asp/c...PSU-Enclosures
http://www.jprelec.co.uk/store.asp/c...osure-Type-PS2
Old 13 August 2015, 17:45   #80
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

@Retrofan

Couldn't you use a 12v supply from the ATX and regulate it down to 5v ?