English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 March 2013, 22:19   #1
nineoc

Amiga Explorer connection problem

Have Explorer installed on my A200HD, and Amiga Explorer installed on both an older PC, and a newer one. Both PC's have Win UAE and Amiga Forever installed. The older PC is mainly there for backup.

The Amiga and the newer PC connect with each other quite readily, but the older PC and the Amiga do not. Both PC's are running Win XP.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Last edited by nineoc; 19 March 2013 at 22:20. Reason: Info missing
Old 19 March 2013, 22:27   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Is the older PC perhaps using a serial mouse on COM1, so that the COM2 port must be used for Amiga Explorer?

FYI, you should always use the COM2 serial port, if available, for Amiga Explorer, because its interrupt priority is higher.
Old 19 March 2013, 23:08   #3
nineoc

Don't know. Someone else set Explorer up some time ago, and it did work then.

Will have it checked out.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 20 March 2013, 02:51   #4
nineoc

Looks like both PC's use COM 1.One connects, and the other does not.

Went to "ping" the Amiga from both PC's, using the setting that came up in the error message on the Old PC, and neither could connect, likely because that was an old setting that has since been changed.

Can anyone tell me where/how to check the address to ping to?
Old 20 March 2013, 03:20   #5
nineoc

Well, have found the IP Addresses of both the PC's and they can ping each other.

Can anyone tell me how to find the Amiga's IP Address?
Old 20 March 2013, 12:36   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoc View Post
Well, have found the IP Addresses of both the PC's and they can ping each other.

Can anyone tell me how to find the Amiga's IP Address?

If you connect through serial (null modem) cable, the Amiga does not have an IP address. You need to right-click the Amiga Explorer icon, select Properties and change from TCP/IP to serial.

If you use Ethernet to connect your Amiga to the network, you should be able to find out the IP address by examining the TCP/IP software you run on your Amiga. Or check the properties of the Amiga Explorer which works.
Old 20 March 2013, 17:38   #7
spanner
none

Mine don't work on windows 8 because its a usb serial and it can't start it but works file on my old year 2000 laptop.( it has its own com port.)

My settings on my old laptop are serial, 92.00kb and 512 packet size,Max retries 50,make sure you have the same setting on the amiga in the serial options and in aexplorer,right click on aexplorer in Amiga Workbench and click on information for the settings.

My settings on the Amiga are:

The same..

I would love to make it transfer files faster,it take about 6 mins to transfer 880kb..

(I wonder if you can share the internet from the pc to the Amiga from the serial..??)

Last edited by spanner; 20 March 2013 at 18:04.
Old 20 March 2013, 18:04   #8
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
I would love to make it transfer files faster,it take about 6 mins to transfer 880kb..
A1200 with fastram I can get 57600 baud using artser.device instead of the regular serial.device. That works out at about 3mins for an ADF. Just drop it in your devs folder and tell aexplorer to use it in its information settings.

On a plain A600 I can use 38400 instead of 19200 with art ser

http://aminet.net/package/comm/misc/ArtSer37_6
Old 20 March 2013, 18:05   #9
nineoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If you connect through serial (null modem) cable, the Amiga does not have an IP address. You need to right-click the Amiga Explorer icon, select Properties and change from TCP/IP to serial.

If you use Ethernet to connect your Amiga to the network, you should be able to find out the IP address by examining the TCP/IP software you run on your Amiga. Or check the properties of the Amiga Explorer which works.
So, set both the ip addreses on both the PC's to the same setting as is on the Main PC and:

---With Explorer running on the Amiga, and the main PC AE turned off, when attempting to connect the Old PC to the Amiga, I now get a message that says "conflict accessing the Amiga Explorer resources".
The Cloanto help file states that it is possible that the PC Anti-virus setup could create such a problem. Have yet to interpret their suggestion to resolve.

---PC's can ping each other, but neither can ping the Amiga, even though the Main PC can connect via AE.
Old 20 March 2013, 18:12   #10
thomas

So you have an Ethernet card in your Amiga?
Old 20 March 2013, 18:22   #11
spanner
none

Thanks wow now that better..
Old 20 March 2013, 18:34   #12
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Is the older PC perhaps using a serial mouse on COM1, so that the COM2 port must be used for Amiga Explorer?

FYI, you should always use the COM2 serial port, if available, for Amiga Explorer, because its interrupt priority is higher.
I hadn't realised whether the fact it is COM2 made a difference as it can be changed by the settings menu to any comport?...
Old 20 March 2013, 19:56   #13
nineoc

Quote:
So you have an Ethernet card in your Amiga?

The Amiga has a Wildfire 060 which has a built in Ethernet.

My apologies for not stating that earlier.

Current situation:

---Set both the IP Addresses in the Explorer Properties on both the PC's to the same addess as is on the Main PC and:

---With Explorer running on the Amiga, and the Main PC AE turned off, when attempting to connect the Old PC to the Amiga, via Amiga Explorer I get a message on the Old PC saying that there is a conflict accessing the Amiga's resources. The Cloanto help file states that it is possible that the PC Anti-virus setup could create such a problem. Have yet to interpret the suggestion to resolve this.

---PC's can ping each other, but neither can ping the Amiga, even though the Main PC can connect via AE.

Last edited by nineoc; 20 March 2013 at 20:01. Reason: Missing info.
Old 20 March 2013, 20:24   #14
thomas

Please describe your network. Where is each computer connected to and how? What is the IP address, net work mask and default gateway of each computer?

And which TCP/IP software do you run on the Amiga?
Old 20 March 2013, 21:11   #15
nineoc

Quote:
Please describe your network. Where is each computer connected to and how? What is the IP address, net work mask and default gateway of each computer?

Here is where I get into difficulty. I am not as tech savvy with the inner workings of computers as are most folk who frequent these pages, so I would
like to beg your indulgence if I ask some basic questions.

I have been assisted in the past by other local techs in setting up the systems, and am bravely setting forth to gain further knowledge in order to be more self-sufficient. It will be a life-long task.

Network is:

Three Macs, three PC's and two Amiga A2000HD's, all connected via a ZyZEL router supplied by the local Telephone company. One A2000 is out of the loop being repaired. All computers are hard-wired to the Ethernet system.

The sub-network in my studio is an Imac, two PC's and the Amigas.
The computers all show up in the regular network.

The Amiga uses AmiTCP to connect.

As for addresses, I have been able to determine the ones for the Main PC and
the Old PC. I do not know where to look for the Imac yet, but do not know if it is necessary. Looking in the Explorer properties window on the Main PC, which does connect with the Amiga via AE, I find an address that I believe to be the one for the Amiga. This I copied to the Old PC.

I do not know where to look directly inside the Amiga to find the required info.

As for the Network Mask and default Gateway for each computer, I do not know what they are, or where to look.

If you are feeling courageous enough to help me walk through this, It would be greatly appreciated. If not, I would certainly understand.

Last edited by nineoc; 21 March 2013 at 00:19. Reason: missing info.
Old 21 March 2013, 01:08   #16
nineoc

Quote:

Status update:

With the help of my ISP, I have managed to determine all the ISP Addresses in the network, and the Main PC can ping everyone EXCEPT the Amiga, even though it can connect via AE.

Have the info you requested, if you are still interested.

Last edited by nineoc; 21 March 2013 at 04:56. Reason: Errors.
Old 26 March 2013, 12:41   #17
thomas

Can the Amiga ping the other computers?
Old 26 March 2013, 17:21   #18
nineoc

Quote:
Can the Amiga ping the other computers?

No, it cannot. The mac can ping the PC's, and the PC's can ping each other and the Mac.
Old 26 March 2013, 18:08   #19
thomas

Can the Amiga access the internet?

Which TCP/IP software is running on the Amiga?

If you don't know, please enter this command in a shell window:

which ping

It will tell you where the Ping command is loaded from. The path hopefully contains the name of the software package (AmiTCP or Genesis or something like that).
Old 26 March 2013, 18:54   #20
nineoc

Quote:
Can the Amiga access the internet?

Which TCP/IP software is running on the Amiga?

If you don't know, please enter this command in a shell window:

which ping

It will tell you where the Ping command is loaded from. The path hopefully contains the name of the software package (AmiTCP or Genesis or something like that).
Yes, the Amiga can access the net.

Using AmiTCP, but was installed by a tech some years ago, and I am not familiar with it.

My apologies, when I said the Amiga cannot ping, it is because I do not know how to do it from the Amiga.