English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 July 2012, 01:24   #61
Mendel

Okay, I'm going to do it:

Underrated:

Turrican 3.

I had heard nothing but crap about this game, about how it´s too straightforward, the levels are boring, the gameplay isn´t up to the sequels level. Damnit, I´ve been blasting away and thoroughly enjoying this game for many, many hours today and yesterday. I´m not quite through the moving train with moving ball platforms bit yet but other than that, I´ve found it just challenging enough while not too devastatingly difficult.

I found it okay that I don´t have to spend too much time looking for where I am supposed to be going, yet there are still secrets to be found, mostly 1 ups. Some levels, like the swimming level, even had a bit of a maze... Oh and the alien level I even got lost there for a while.

The energy system is definitely an improvement from 1 and 2. No more trying to dodge an enemy, ending up walking in the same direction while touching the enemy and getting killed by fast draining energy. Now you just lose a bit of energy when touching it and get a couple seconds of invincibility before getting damaged again. It´s more like a Nintendo game in that respect. Also this game really pulls a few tricks that seem technically impressive. Like how did they fit all this on one floppy? How can it be so colorful looking? How are the loading times so fast, even from a floppy? Presentation values are very good overall. I also love the music in each Turrican game. This one is no exception.

I guess it´s so much different than the 1 and 2 that some people just were disappointed because of that. But I really like it as a run and gun shooter. More so than much of any other game on any platform. I like it more than any Mega Man series game for being faster paced, I like it more than any Metal Slug series game for having tighter controls.

I still like Turrican 2 more, it´s just all around awesome, not least because of the space ship part... but... Muzkat! Yes you! Take a deep breath! Now get this: I think I like Turrican 3 more than I like Turrican 1.

I´ve played through 1 and 2. Gonna finish 3 tonight. By the way I have original boxed versions of 2 and 3. And I´ve recently purchased Gunlord PM me if you can sell me a boxed Turrican 1.

Last edited by Mendel; 15 July 2012 at 01:32.
Old 16 July 2012, 09:33   #62
Bastich

I prefer T1 but thats simply down to it playing first. T2 was awesome just not enough different enough from the first. I never really got into the third one.
Old 08 August 2012, 15:19   #63
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Turrican 1 is the classic, Turrican 2 an improved version over the original and Turrican 3 - hmm... when you get over the feeling that it's not like the first two, play it a little to adjust to controls then you'll see it's a nice game infact (that's what happened to me).
Old 08 August 2012, 21:55   #64
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Now, as for Thunderblade, opinions seem to vary pretty heavily. Personally I liked it, especialy at the time of release. To this day I prefer it to the megadrive version, but neither have aged well.
How can you? The Amiga version throws such a barrage of huge fireballs at you, it just isn't fair in any way. It could have been a great game actually, if it was balanced a bit. I guess these people didn't realize you weren't supposed to chuck coins into the Amiga by the bucket load.

(Arcade version was quite cool though)