English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 December 2001, 08:58   #21
Riempie
Amiga freak

Spamming Studio 3 with the same e-mail over and over again might be a bit annoying for Studio 3. But I think if everybody would send a personal e-mail, then that will not harm Studio 3. It only shows how much interest there is.

But if you (Bobic) already tried to convince Studio 3, then I guess we should stop sending them e-mails etc. We'll just have to wait and see...

But Bobic, you had contact with Studio 3? Mail or phone?
Old 10 December 2001, 12:10   #22
Riempie
Amiga freak

I received a reply!!!

Ok, guys..

Here's the reply of Mr. Twiddy himself:

"Sorry for the delay in replying but things are a little hectic at the moment in the run up to Christmas.

We have been thinking about the idea of putting Putty Squad up on the Studio 3 website for a while now. I still have all the source files and data files from the final master but I don't think we have a copy of the final disk. Therefore the only hurdle is how to re-master the disk. This shouldn't be too much of a problem because I believe we do have the relevant hardware and software somewhere but it is just a matter of finding it.

I am not likely to have time to sort these things out this side of Christmas but in the New Year I will look into it. In the meantime, if you have any information regarding formats of how to convert and upload Amiga files it would be much appreciated."

Does anybody know how to help Mr. Twiddy with how to convert and upload Amiga files, then I guess you should mail me, then I can mail it to Mr. Twiddy again. I think Mr. Twiddy should not get e-mail from everybody.

Obviously, you guys can stop e-mailing him too asking about a Putty Squad release.

To the administrator: Can you delete the e-mail address of Mr. Twiddy from my first post, because I don't want other people to send him massive requests again. Thanks in advance...
Old 10 December 2001, 12:15   #23
P-J

Wow!!!

That's good news methinks.

Can he modify the source slightly and add 'Digitally Re-Mastered for the EAB'? )
Old 10 December 2001, 12:16   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That's fantastic news!

I went ahead and 'censored' the email addys in question. And I vote Codetapper to be the contact person, since he is the neccesary guru here, plus this has been his baby from day one, anyhow.
Old 10 December 2001, 12:17   #25
P-J

Twistin'...

Next time you post right after me, I'm gonna have to come at you with a hammer
Old 10 December 2001, 12:27   #26
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

(ducking from hammer, and carrying Ibuprofen bottle just in case!)

An even better fix was executed by the masked marauder...
Old 10 December 2001, 12:46   #27
Riempie
Amiga freak

I know Codetapper very well and he certainly is the man which I think can help Mr. Twiddy. I'll e-mail Mr. Twiddy about this...
Old 10 December 2001, 13:30   #28
Peanutuk

Hooooo Well Hurah for that.......

HURRAH!
Old 10 December 2001, 13:34   #29
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Cool Help offered to John!

I have offered my help to John Twiddy in an email to Riempie which he has forwarded onto him. This is surely the most likely way to get a response rather than another unknown person "spamming" him more mail...

I also told him that I HD patched the 8 level demo and that it was well coded so hopefully that will get me into the good books

Cross your fingers people!
Old 10 December 2001, 13:50   #30
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

I have to admit, I was v. concerned that people could be spamming a programming legend like John Twiddy,(Those who loved the early Last Ninja games on C64 will know what I mean), & annoy him but Riempie well done for perservering! (But in a nice fashion!).

Just one request, make sure at least one version is the plain,old & simple ADF format for conversion's please!!
Old 10 December 2001, 14:27   #31
MethodGit

Re: I received a reply!!!

This is utterly fantastic news! Looks as if we are finally coming close to the end of this famous "Hunt for Putty Squad" chapter that has been going on and on for countless years. That "Hunt for Omar & Bin Laden" thing can wait, this is the conclusion we have finally been waiting for!

Maybe I should send an apology e-mail to Twiddy for sending him an unecessary identical (to other people) e-mail. Do you reckon this is a good idea?

Good on you Twist for censoring the e-mail addys, we don't want one more anonymous cyberuser to send the guy to breaking point and reconsider the deal now, do we?

Although I have to ask something about the game...

Quote:
Originally posted by Riempie
I still have all the source files and data files from the final master but I don't think we have a copy of the final disk. Therefore the only hurdle is how to re-master the disk.
Is he trying to say that the game fits on a single disk??? Not sure how that would be possible - the original Putty came on 3 disks after all...
Old 10 December 2001, 14:45   #32
Riempie
Amiga freak

Maybe Putty Squad was about to be a CD-release only?

Oh, and Marz, don't send him an apology mail. I already apologized for possible spamming in the e-mail Codetapper talks about.
Old 10 December 2001, 14:46   #33
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Marz-As was stated previously-Please,don't send another e-mail, even one well-intentioned in being an apology.
It's important EVERYONE not immediately connected with what (hopefully),might happen with John Twiddy & Co., back off & let Codetapper etc. be the sole people be in contact with them,okay?

I'd doubt Putty Squad is on one disk Marz, I think he might mean the original final master disk has gone missing. He's still got all the relevant game-code, but it probably sounds like it's needs to be re-organized & assembled for that section.
Old 10 December 2001, 18:46   #34
Amiga1992

ÉFFIN LUVVERLY STUFF!!!

Twiddy is a great person!!!!! This is amazing news!!!

Everybody let Rimpie and Codetapper handle this... But PLEASE, Codetapper, I know telling you this is not necessary, but I would like to have a version I can play on a REAL AMIGA, and not be forced to use a bloody emulator. I knwo you'd do a WHD Install, but that would leave owners of stock A1200 out of the fun, and thsi game is supposed to run on a stock A1200...

They are not going to distribute the game, so I suppose they could build an UNPROTECTED master, can't tehy? That would be enough for it to run on stock A1200s
Old 10 December 2001, 19:06   #35
Drake1009

Yeah I'd like to be able to play this on my A1200 as well.
Old 10 December 2001, 20:21   #36
TikTok

Quote:
They are not going to distribute the game, so I suppose they could build an UNPROTECTED master, can't tehy? That would be enough for it to run on stock A1200s
Since they will presumably distribute it on the internet, I think they can only do an unprotected version can't they? Whether its an LHA archive, a dms file, or an adf, am I right in thinking it can't be protected because you can't write back the protection on a normal Amiga (real or emulated). I think the only thing that will stop people using it on real Amigas is if they distribute one of those extended ADFs like Factor 5 did with the Turrican series.
Old 10 December 2001, 23:03   #37
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The protection usually comes from external sources, like Rob Northen, and he works on the mastered disk(s). I can't imagine that the re-mastered version would be sent to be copy-protected - especially since they are talking about freely distributing it.
Old 11 December 2001, 01:59   #38
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Putty Squad details

Twistin' is right, in the early days (and some later ones) the programmer didn't see the protection at all and sent the final game out which had the protection added. Not all games of course but a large percentage of the earlier ones.

When I asked Stuart Campbell (ex Amiga Power) about the game I got the impression it was about 3-4 disks - that was a while ago and I maybe wrong on that point.

Akira: If the original is in the same format as the 8 level demo on one disk they distributed (Non-Dos, Rob Northen loader) then making a standard ADF version shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe one of John's questions about formats is that he has all the information ready to go out in ADF format but was wondering how Amiga users will use it. If it's currently in ADF format and since it's an A1200 game then nothing might need to be done on it anyway! Some guys had a directory listing and a util which dumped the files onto the disk in ADF format, hopefully this is the case with Putty Squad!

If it's a tonne of files all in one directory then that might be a bit trickier. I eagerly wait for a reply from John via Riempie!
Old 11 December 2001, 04:27   #39
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Hooooo `old on!

I have a 4 disk version of Putty Squad?
Old 11 December 2001, 07:03   #40
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

No way. Upload it, man!!!!!