English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 October 2018, 03:38   #1
Snowwie

Send a message via ICQ to Snowwie
How to mount CF0: from floppy?

I have this Compact Flash Adapter to transfer files from PC to Amiga. Soon I will install Workbench 3.1.4 to my A1200. Now I was thinking, because I am lazy but I like to try out new things, is that I want to seek out the possibility to mount CF0 from floppy (instead of installation on a hard drive or cf card in a WB environment) so that I can access the Workbench 3.1.4 files. All these disks are put into a single directory and the idea is to, not only to mount CF0 from floppy but also make 'assigns' to all the disks required to install Workbench 3.1.4. As it would seem the installation disk that came with the Compact Flash Adapter offers the opportunity to install the drivers for CF0 on the hard drive. But sadly enough not on a floppy disk. I have looked into the Startup-Sequence and I noticed there are a few lines added by the installation of CF0. In the Startup-Sequence I see the following:

So I assumed to take the files (shown here in Sepia color) and copy them to a Workbench disk into the C directory and alter the Startup-Sequence on the Workbench floppy (copy everything in red square basically to the disk). But sadly, the Workbench floppy is full and these files would not fit on the disk. So I deleted a few other non-essential components. Okay, no problem you would think. But, at the end, I was booting up the system and I had no icons at all.So, I was starting to think, isn't there a way (or even a ready file available on Aminet) that allows you to make your own bootable floppy and put any program on it in combination with a lite WB environment?
It's not difficult to make a floppy disk bootable (just "install df0:") and you can put whatever you want in the startup-sequence, but only A program does not suffice, because you would need a Workbench environment. So who has any ideas how to mount CF0 from a floppy disk? (I was thinking about putting the command files just on another disk and let them read from df1, would that work?)

My main motivation for doing or trying this, is because most floppy disks I have are old and cannot be trusted for 100% . Sure I have made an extra backup of Workbench 3.1.4 if any read error would occur on one of the seven floppy's.

Last edited by Snowwie; 15 October 2018 at 03:49.
Old 15 October 2018, 10:57   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Adding a mountlist to a floppy for mounting a CF does not take up much space, just sacrifice by deleting some files, I think it's enough to delete some icon, font etc .. or compress all the contents of the floppy.

You can see the mounting and dismounting of a shell CD / SD in my old video:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 October 2018, 11:20   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

To mount a CF card you only need these three files:
CF0 + compactflash.device from
http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/CFD133

fat95 from
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fat95

In total 420 + 8376 + 26868 = 35664 bytes

Should be possible to fit on most floppies.

CardReset and CardPatch should not really be necessary unless you are also using PCMCIA network cards.
Old 15 October 2018, 16:20   #4
Snowwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Adding a mountlist to a floppy for mounting a CF does not take up much space, just sacrifice by deleting some files, I think it's enough to delete some icon, font etc .. or compress all the contents of the floppy.

You can see the mounting and dismounting of a shell CD / SD in my old video:

[ Show youtube player ]
I already figured out the problem, I messed around with an extra copy of WB 3.1.4 (which I still have to install). Even without modification it does not start that very nice on Kick 3.1. I will try the Workbench 3.0 floppy instead.

It is strange that none of the files mentioned above are shown in my installation. Besides are you sure about the Fat95 which is a File Allocation Table. Would that work on a floppy disk?
Old 15 October 2018, 16:31   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwie View Post
It is strange that none of the files mentioned above are shown in my installation. Besides are you sure about the Fat95 which is a File Allocation Table. Would that work on a floppy disk?
FAT95 is the handler for reading FAT32 filesystems, which you will probably be using on those CF cards. I don't know of any alternative to compactflash.device which is able to access CF cards on the PCMCIA port. Perhaps they just renamed it for some reason?

'CF0' is just the mountlist (a text file) so it can be called anything or integrated with another mountlist.
Old 15 October 2018, 21:55   #6
Snowwie

Okay, then in laymen's terms, I want to make CF0 available from floppy disk only, because the Workbench installation files are on the CF card. (Okay I have them on floppy as well, but installing from the CF card goes faster and without the risk of reading a bad sector), how would the the added part in the startup-sequence look like to activate it? Assuming I boot from a Workbench 3.0 disk?

And which files have to be placed where? Do you even NEED a Workbench floppy or does a blank disk suffice? But I need a Workbench environment to install Workbench on the internal CF card.

Anyone knows any good examples?
Old 15 October 2018, 22:02   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwie View Post
Okay, then in laymen's terms, I want to make CF0 available from floppy disk only, because the Workbench installation files are on the CF card.
I think you could use this:
http://www.retro-commodore.eu/cf-res...for-a600a1200/

It has LoadWB on it so you can start your WB installation from there.
Old 16 October 2018, 16:38   #8
Snowwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I think you could use this:
http://www.retro-commodore.eu/cf-res...for-a600a1200/

It has LoadWB on it so you can start your WB installation from there.
PERFECT

Now just make some assigns to the WB314 disks in a new to make User-Startup file and I ready to go. ;-)