English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 27 October 2002, 11:37   #1
someamigauser

Game problem!

howdy, i have a problem with a game called brian the lion.. i have the whdload patch for it and its an aga fix that requires 2 mb or chip mem.. and i know that the amiga 1200(which im using) has 2 megs of chip mem but when ever i load up wb3.1 it tells me that i have 1,848,000 or something like that. is there anyway that i can free up some memory? ive already tried disabling the disk drive and all in the early start up menu but there was no success if theres any other way please tell me
Cheers

(mixed up the game name before sorry about that)

Last edited by someamigauser; 27 October 2002 at 11:43.

Old 27 October 2002, 14:59   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Try the following

Try the early startup menu and disable DF0 and CC0, that will free up 50k or so, but you wont physically be able to have 2 meg as the system has to sit somewhere.

Try removing the preload option. To do it, try this

WHDLOAD "name of slave".slave nocache

This will stop it preloading all the files into memory so you might still be able to play it off hard drive.
Old 27 October 2002, 15:09   #3
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Lightbulb

... or try an excellent util called Memrun.
U have 2 create a batch file (with some instrutions) to run this util, and when done and executed it will reboot your Amiga and run your game without 2MB RAM problems.
U can find here :http://carlosace.cjb.net , look the tools link.
Old 28 October 2002, 01:49   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
??!

why do you put a 3 KB small tool into anti-leech.com and let people download a WakeNet applet just for these 3 KB?
You could just have uploaded this one on your planetaclix WWW account, couldn't you?
Old 28 October 2002, 03:40   #5
someamigauser

how would i go about creating a batch file? im kind of a newbie when it comes to amiga stuff.

Old 28 October 2002, 15:03   #6
Amiga1992

I think it will work with just the PRELOAD option taken off...

If you are loading it from WB, check out teh icon's information. In teh tooltypes, remove the PRELOAD option.

Try to load a very clean workbench to avoid loading unnecesary stuff... It might be better to run it from the Shell, booting without startup-sequence, using the command Galahad pointed out!
Old 29 October 2002, 03:23   #7
someamigauser

okay i tried what you said akira.. this is what happened .. it came up asking me to insert the volume env .. so i clicked cancel twice and the whdload registration screen came up.. but after that it said that the game requires an AGA chipset.. which my amiga 1200HD would have wouldent it? but yeah.. if you can tell me whats going on here with the whole ENV request id appreciate it

Old 29 October 2002, 04:23   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@ENV:

There should be a line somewhere in your startup-sequence that creates the ENV dir in RAM: and then an assign to that dir as ENV: Then all calls to ENV: should go there, but for some reason this doesn't appear to be happening for you.

Your environment variables are stored on sys:Prefs/ENV-Archive, which is assigned as ENVARC:

During the startup-sequence, the contents of ENVARC: are copied to ram:ENV (or just ENV: - they are one and the same). It seems your system is not acknowledging ENV: anywhere, so you must have a stripped down startup-sequence.
Old 29 October 2002, 04:40   #9
Amiga1992

YEs, I told him to boot without startup sequence..

just write "assign ENV: RAM:" before booting it up.. NOw see what happens!

The not having an AGA chipset part is really strange :P
Old 29 October 2002, 12:23   #10
someamigauser

would there be a way to activate the AGA chipset in the shell without the bootup sequence?

Old 29 October 2002, 13:25   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

type

Setpatch

at a command prompt

Setpatch turns on the AGA chipset
Old 29 October 2002, 14:43   #12
Amiga1992

Err.. the AGA chipset should be on all the time :P But do as Bippy said, try running setpatch prior to booting up the game.
Old 29 October 2002, 15:22   #13
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
As long as there is enough fast-ram, you should never need much free chip-ram because whdload switch off the os , moves the contents of the chip ram to fast mem, starts your slave and on exit it moves back the contents to chip ram and activates the os, so there is no problem with not having enough chip mem.
Old 29 October 2002, 15:23   #14
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Err.. the AGA chipset should be on all the time :P But do as Bippy said, try running setpatch prior to booting up the game.
I thought that when I first got my A1200 there is a bug in the roms (Should be fixed in 3.1) if running setpatch (From WB3.0+) will fix it.

I remember trying to use Vidi12 and couldn't get it running in AGA, so took the A1200 back to the shop. Felt stupid when the problem was solved (by a commodore engineer no-less!).

Still they should tell you these things in the bloody manual
Old 29 October 2002, 15:51   #15
someamigauser

okay.. setpatch turned the AGA card on and all and ive done everything else everyone else told me but now im back to square 1 with not enough memory available .. looks like im gonna have to go looking for a expansion card... dont get it though.. it should run with 2mb chip mem.. ahhwell
cheers for all of yer help tho dudes..

Old 29 October 2002, 16:03   #16
Amiga1992

Well, no.

Keep in mind this is an AGA game. It needs 2MB of Chip RAm.. And WHDLoad and all its stuff takes a bit more memory. So it might be needing 2MB and a little bit more... read the docs that come with the install.

You can in the meantime play with the ECS version
Old 29 October 2002, 18:56   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

AGA

is always on, Setpatch simply tells Workbench that its active. WHDLoad detects for AGA/ECS in a system friendly way, not by doing stupid Hardware custom register combos.