English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 05 December 2019, 22:37   #1
somacast

Problems with Whdload on a2000+

hello,

i hope its the right section to post in ??

I had a long thread on lemonamiga about a problem I face with whdload on my stock a2000+

here is the link
http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/view...=16176&start=0

games were started but giving the exceptional error (I think ) screen.. then changed system format file to pfs3 , then still had issues, then to pfs3 1.3ds, which helped alot, but still many games crash, second is that I tried many a500 rom 1.3 from the net (i own both a500 and a2000) , but none of them accepted by whdload to run those games requiring it, said invalid kick bla bla file .. this is the thread if you may kindly maybe have a look , there is a sort of uncertainty if its hardware issue (ram is 1 mb chip and 4 fast ram, hardframe scsi controller, Toshiba scsi cd rom, seagate 4gb hdd).

so any clues ?

Last edited by somacast; 05 December 2019 at 22:54.
Old 05 December 2019, 23:58   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somacast View Post
second is that I tried many a500 rom 1.3 from the net (i own both a500 and a2000) , but none of them accepted by whdload to run those games requiring it, said invalid kick bla bla file ..
This part should be easy to fix; if you try hard enough you should get the right ones
Old 06 December 2019, 00:05   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Did you check this : http://whdload.de/docs/en/need.html ?
Old 06 December 2019, 04:53   #4
somacast

@DamienD : ok thnx for the hint , I will try harder

@malko : Thnx for the link , I went through it and thats what I did , 34005 is the name..
Old 06 December 2019, 05:03   #5
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

is 1mb chip and 4mb fast ram enough to run all whdload games?

could be wrong but i was under the impression that 8mb fast is needed or at least preferred
Old 06 December 2019, 05:05   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
is 1mb chip and 4mb fast ram enough to run all whdload games?

could be wrong but i was under the impression that 8mb fast is needed or at least preferred

No, even 8 MB isn't enough for all. But for the most.

Quote:
second is that I tried many a500 rom 1.3 from the net (i own both a500 and a2000) , but none of them accepted by whdload to run those games requiring it, said invalid kick bla bla file
The valid Kickstart 1.3 for WHDLoad is this one, google for it. And rename the file like WHDLoad needs it =kick34005.a500
Code:
Kickstart v1.3 rev 34.5 (1987)(Commodore)(A500-A1000-A2000-CDTV)[!].rom

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 06 December 2019 at 05:30.
Old 06 December 2019, 05:06   #7
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
No, even 8 MB isn't enough for all. But for the most.

Could explain why some of his whdload games are crashing then..

Thinking back when i had the TF328 card for my cd32 which has 8mb fast, i used to get a few crashes, after getting the 330 which has 64mb fast, not had any problems since.
Old 06 December 2019, 05:11   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

We need more infos. One reason for mass crashing is the wrong MaxTransfer set in the Amiga partition. 1fe00 should be set in the advanced options (enter the value -> press then Enter key and save it. Copying the games with the wrong MaxTransfer value makes the files corrupt. I would install the Workbench and games again (if the set MT value was wrong in the first place), only to be sure.

What is the games source? Preinstalled e.g. from the Retroplay packs? Or tried to it install it by yourself?

edit: Ah, he uses a NTSC Amiga with PAL games. That could explain some of the crahes.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 06 December 2019 at 05:28.
Old 06 December 2019, 05:29   #9
TjLaZer

These are what you need.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kickstarts.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	65426  
Old 06 December 2019, 07:44   #10
somacast

@xubidoo : well,, although whdload itself doesn't say that, i am quite sure that games like after burner from sega which runs fine on a stock a500 with 1mb only doesn't need 8mb fast ram, but thnx for hint..

@Retro-Nerd : wow !! which game required more than 8mb fast ram and it was supposed to run originally on an a2000 stock with a 68k processor?? and for the kicks files i think i did that , but didn't work, i got a pack from some good source lemme try it and c what happens.
regarding the max transfer and mask i used the correctly with good system file pfs3 3ds i think was the name , so don't worry , maybe if you can have a look at the thread in lemonamiga, it shows my entire story .. and yes thnx for ntsc pal idea , i was told that so i started deleting pal games already...thnx

@TjLaZer: thnx alot , got a pack of them now and shall burn to a cd transfer to amiga, and give it a try..
Old 06 December 2019, 10:24   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is unlikely max transfer is the problem with hardframe but because hardframe is quite special (early non-Commodore true DMA SCSI controller), it could cause some weird behavior with whdload. Or even some random compatibility problems with fast RAM board.

Try this: copy whdload and one or two game slaves to bootable floppy disks (that are known to crash), run whdload from floppy. Check if it crashes. If it still crashes, remove both HD and CD and test again. Finally, remove HD controller and test again.

Include also full, exact error message(s).

What does "version HardFrame.device" return? (Device name is case-sensitive)

"Disk update failed" from PFS3 means disk write command returned error (which should not happen unless HD controller or disk has some issues). Update pfs3aio from aminet to get more detailed error message in this situation.
Old 06 December 2019, 12:56   #12
somacast

Hello Toni Wilen and thanks for your reply,

I am quite new to amiga workbench, in face my entire usage of A500 was as a gaming console, however with the aid of experts I was able to learn a lot in the past couple of months (my entire workbench experience , lol),

so for the HardFrame, yes you are right , in a website which gives info about old amiga hardware it says that might have issues with motherboards revisions of 4.5 and older, but mine is v6 so its not the issue I guess, however cant really fully rule that out,

as for the fast ram I tested it with doctor memory app, it was all good. but as you said could be compatibility issues with the scsi controller.

I tried running games from CD, it was better than hdd but that was when the hdd was formatted with standard system file, but after pfs3 its just the same..

so how can I copy a pre installed game to the 880k floppy ? its usually larger than that in size right ? and copy whdload to the floppy? I just copy the whdload file to C: , I don't do a full install simply because not a single installer worked for me for whdload, and many youtubers said its just the one file whdload copy it to C of hdd dh0:

so can you please explain more ? what to put on a floppy exactly ? how to run whdload even ? it just runs alone when I run a preinstalled game on hdd … sorry for noob questions , lol , just learning ...

some people also suggested that the power supply could be misbehaving etc.. I wonder if that's the case.
Old 06 December 2019, 14:19   #13
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
so how can I copy a pre installed game to the 880k floppy ? its usually larger than that in size right ? and copy whdload to the floppy? I just copy the whdload file to C: , I don't do a full install simply because not a single installer worked for me for whdload, and many youtubers said its just the one file whdload copy it to C of hdd dh0:

so can you please explain more ? what to put on a floppy exactly ? how to run whdload even ? it just runs alone when I run a preinstalled game on hdd … sorry for noob questions , lol , just learning ...
Not an easy task for a noob or one that doesn't use WinUAE.

You can see what I had to do with the "Arctic Fox" WHDLoad --> floppy for a member here: https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=27
Old 06 December 2019, 15:39   #14
somacast

Thnx for your reply, I went through it seems simple enough, i will search for the cruncher, but writing the start up sequence needs some elaboration please..
Old 06 December 2019, 15:49   #15
somacast

by the way this is another unsolved issue could it be related to errors ?

i wonder if there is a way to fix them, i tried reading numbers by hdtoolbox and copy here but some were still blinking as wrong values

https://imgur.com/J445yWA
Old 06 December 2019, 16:01   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Did you try using hdtoolbox? It probably works. Old 3rd party partition programs generally suck when drive is too large (and too large usually means more than 1G..)

("tools/hdtoolbox HardFrame.device" in shell)

Also don't forget to run "version HardFrame.device"
Old 06 December 2019, 17:00   #17
somacast

hdtoolbox is what i only use ? its very good , but i get this when i run rdprep , so i was just wondering if this is ok to ignore , everything is fine elsewhere I guess
Old 06 December 2019, 17:48   #18
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thnx for your reply, I went through it seems simple enough, i will search for the cruncher, but writing the start up sequence needs some elaboration please..
Here is CrunchyDat

S/Startup-Sequence; would be something like:

Code:
Assign ENV: RAM:
WHDLoad Arcticfox.slave Preload
Things to note:

1) I'd just leave "WHDLoad" in the root of the disk to make it easier; though you could put into a "C" folder and point to that i.e "C/WHDload".
2) From the Arctic Fox package you just want to extract out "Arcticfox.slave" & "Disk.1".
3) Use CrunchyDat on the file "Disk.1" to reduce the size.
4) You will need the required / renamed Kickstart ROM and .RTB files in a folder "Devs/Kickstarts".

Last edited by DamienD; 06 December 2019 at 17:54.
Old 06 December 2019, 19:54   #19
somacast

great thnx,

but i will try i guess with a game already having an issue from hdd

but again , assign in the amiga itself ? or how do i make a file for the disk? add those lines by opening a shell and typing ED sys/startup-sequence ? then edit the file inside?

by the way, i can see a preload here in that code , I was advised to remove preload line from all games icon information!! so is it required or not ?

thnx alot
Old 06 December 2019, 20:18   #20
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
great thnx,

but i will try i guess with a game already having an issue from hdd
Arctic Fox was just an example... use whatever WHDLoad game you like but it must fit on disk

Quote:
but again , assign in the amiga itself ? or how do i make a file for the disk? add those lines by opening a shell and typing ED sys/startup-sequence ? then edit the file inside?
Ok, I'm going to PM you a link to the "Arctic Fox" WHDLoad disk that I made.

Analyse that for starters and also test on your system to see if it works like Toni suggested.

Quote:
by the way, i can see a preload here in that code , I was advised to remove preload line from all games icon information!! so is it required or not ?

thnx alot
Without "Preload" you'll get lots of "flashing" when playing games.

...but you need enough RAM for the game to load into memory.