English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 April 2012, 20:52   #1
raudi

Mouse inside a ESX VirtualMachine

Hello,

i use WinUAE in a VMware ESX virtual machine on Windows 2003 with SP2.

With the current version 2.4 and the current beta i can't select something with the mouse. When i want to click "OK" in a MUI requester, the OK button changes the color but nothing happens. At the same time the screen change field at the top right corner blinks.

Before i used the version 2.4 i used 2.2.0 with no problems.

Is there something i can change?

Greetings

Stefan
Attached Files
File Type: uae Startup.uae (13.4 KB, 183 views)

Old 03 April 2012, 00:05   #2
dirkies
Zone Friend

What ESX are you using (with latest update installed)? Are the updated VMtools installed.
Old 03 April 2012, 08:41   #3
raudi

ESXi 5 Update 1 and the virtual machine Hardware is Version 8.

When i'm going back to 2.2.0 all is working normal.

Stefan

Old 03 April 2012, 09:42   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Test with both "Windows mouse" and "raw mouse" (or whatever the name of the rawinput mouse is). "Windows mouse" should work.

Virtual machines, especially in windowed mode, usually also need winuae virtual mouse driver option checked.

Attach also winuaebootlog.txt if above does not fix it.
Old 04 April 2012, 07:53   #5
raudi

In Version 2.2.0 it is called RAW-Mouse in Version 2.4.1 it is called VMware pointing device. But whatever i select here it makes no difference when i use the option "install virtual mosue driver". When the "install virtual mouse driver" option is not selected the mouse moves with big steps 10 or 20 pixels with the VMware pointing device. With the Windows mouse the mouse isn't realy work, it is very slow and often moves ito the wrong direction. But the problem with the mouse click is here not present when the option "install virtual mouse driver" is not selected.

Now i found additonal infos:
- When there is a checkbox to click, this works.
- The right mouse button works normal.
- When i click the left button the pointer is going off, if i click a second time the screen switches to the next application screen. -> At a mouse click the mouse jumps to the top right corner. If i move the mouse again it will came back at the old place.
- Wen i click to a harddisk on the Workbench it will placed in the AmiDock.

Hpe this helps...
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (8.5 KB, 157 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog-withoutdriver.txt (8.5 KB, 174 views)

Old 04 April 2012, 09:18   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Works fine in VMWare Workstation 8 (Windows 7). Windows Mouse works even without mouse driver. VMWare Pointing Device and HID compliant mouse (x2) need driver or mouse jumps around (as expected).

But there is one oddity, first HID compliant mouse has working movement but no buttons. Second HID compliant mouse works fine. (Perhaps VMWare gets confused when more than 1 mouse is available?)

Going to test VMWare + XP later.

EDIT: Open F12 GUI, select first mouse, click "Test", move mouse and click buttons to see if they match, select next mouse. Does this test also show same left button problem?

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 04 April 2012 at 09:27.
Old 05 April 2012, 04:51   #7
raudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
EDIT: Open F12 GUI, select first mouse, click "Test", move mouse and click buttons to see if they match, select next mouse. Does this test also show same left button problem?
This test i made and it will always be reported the correct buttons...

I there something i forgotten? When i'm update from 2.2 to 2.4, must i change something inside the Amiga installation? Should i change something inside Windows?

Perhaps i use the 2.2...

Here you can see what i'm running on it: http://www.raudonis.de/amiga

Old 05 April 2012, 19:44   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It does not make any sense because "test" uses exact same code to read mouse (plus joysticks and keyboard).

I'd guess VM does something weird when mouse is "captured" by WinUAE. Does anything change if you also enable "magic mouse" option in WinUAE? (GamePorts panel)
Old 06 April 2012, 16:43   #9
raudi

Changes noting...

I tested by downloading some old versions... The 2.3.2 is the last version with a working mouse in my enviroment. In 2.3.3 the problem starts...

Old 06 April 2012, 17:12   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Could you test 2.3.3 betas to find last working version? (http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_2330b?.zip ? = 1 to 7)
Old 06 April 2012, 20:02   #11
raudi

The 2.3.3.0 Beta 5 is the last working version in my enviroment...

Old 07 April 2012, 13:26   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raudi View Post
The 2.3.3.0 Beta 5 is the last working version in my enviroment...
Unfortunately I can't see anything in b6 that have anything to do with mouse. (Except one mouse movement fix, nothing to do with buttons)
Old 07 April 2012, 15:44   #13
raudi

But the mouse movement can be, because when i click, the mouse moves away to the top right corner. I can't see the pointer, when i move the mouse the pointer came back to the last place...

Old 07 April 2012, 16:06   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ah, ok, Hmmm.. There is one possibility..

Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip work better?
Old 12 April 2012, 21:54   #15
raudi

Yes, it works better! No mouse problems with this version.

Old 13 April 2012, 10:59   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Great!

I am not sure if this is rawinput weirdness or driver bug.

Single rawinput message includes both mouse movement values (x and y) and mouse button pressed/released bit mask. There is also a flag that tells if mouse position is using absolute (windowed virtual machine, remote desktop etc..) or relative coordinates ("normal" mouse movement)

When mouse button press comes, mouse position values are zero but absolute flag is still set which should mean "mouse is now at (0,0)", so thats what WinUAE did..

In my tests mouse values were always zero when mouse button press/release bits were set so I guess movement can be (should be?) ignored if message includes mouse button state change.

No idea if this is 100% correct, documentation of course says nothing about this situation. But it seems to work.

(It did work previously only accidentally, there was bad unrelated test that hide this special case)
Old 14 April 2012, 06:57   #17
raudi

What have do you decide to handle this special case?

Can you leave it like in the old and in the test version? If not, i think that in this case is the best way is to make a additional checkbox available (perhaps "use in ESX vm" or something) when selecting the "install virtual mouse driver" checkbox.

Many Thanks!
Stefan

Old 14 April 2012, 14:31   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I simply ignore mouse movement values in messages that also include mouse button changes. It seems mouse movement values are always zero when mouse button state changes.

In other words mouse movement and button pressed are separate messages that share same message structure.

Of course documentation does not mention this but at least I haven't noticed any problems doing it this way.
Old 04 October 2020, 14:20   #19
Raudi

Hi,

i'm still running the 2.2.0 in my Win 2003 VM, and now i'm trying to bring all to a more current version.

But now i have again a issue with the mouse after installing WinUAE 4.4.0 in a Windows 2019 VM.

This time both mouse pointers are not in sync. With a speed of 500 both pointers have nearly the same speed, but it is difficult to click on something what is at the border of my vm.

When i enable the option "Install virtual mouse driver" the pointer is in sync but i can't click on buttons, one or two times this wokrs at the beginning but after that it stops working. Sometimes it looks that the pointer jumps to the top left corer...

In the old VM, both mouse poiters are in sync, i can see both pointers and all is working perfect...

What can i try to configure to get this working again?

Kind regards
Stefan
Old 05 October 2020, 14:52   #20
Raudi

Forget my question, i can't update...

On the host is a tool running which converts the ZCONNECT mail paket (from the mailbox software on the Amiga) to SMTP and sends it to my mail-server. This old DOS tool (UUZ) can't run on 64bit and there is nothing newer...

So it must be still a windows server 2003 and on this server there is no problem when still running the old WinUAE version.