English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 March 2010, 02:00   #1
Cammy

DOOM on Amiga, if you haven't tried it yet get it here.

Hi everyone. I recently tried to help out a fellow Amiga user who was having trouble getting DOOM to run on his A1200. The problems were that he was trying to run ADOOM and the configuration was wrong. As we know, ADOOM is a very complete port of DOOM, but it's really best for 040/060 Amigas. The best Amiga port of DOOM for 020/030 Amigas is DoomAttack. So what I have done is installed and configured three copies of the game, one each for DOOM, DOOM II, and Ultimate DOOM. I hope that if anyone else out there has been meaning to try DOOM on their Amiga, this pack can help them out.

I've included three separate drawers for DOOM, DOOM2 and UltimateDOOM, and they all have a copy of the game files, so the archive is quite large from the redundancy, but this is just the easiest way to have the game set up on your Amiga. Just extract the AmigaDOOM.lha file into your games drawer, then all you need to do is copy Doom.wad, Doom2.wad and DoomU.wad into their corresponding drawers. Then all you have to do is double click on the icon for each game to launch it.

I have configured the game to use the later, better sounding MIDI library plugin, and copied over the set of better, optimised instruments, CD32 controls and buffered sound effects enabled. You can use the mouse and keyboard as well, if you don't have a CD32 or USB control pad. You can increase the screen size by pressing + and - on the keyboard, and change the detail with F5. If you're not happy with the screen mode it runs in, or you want to disable the music (the music slows the game down a little bit) you can configure the settings by showing all the files in the drawer and executing DoomAttackPrefs. You can also run the game from AmigaDOS, which might be smoother. Let's just pretend you have extracted your AmigaDOOM.lha to Work:Games/FPS/ When you have rebooted without a Startup-Sequence (by holding down the two mouse buttons before booting/rebooting), this is what you need to type:

Assign Env: RAM:
Setpatch
Work:Games/FPS/DOOM/
DOOM1/
Stack 20000
DoomAttack

Then the first DOOM game will run. Typing DOOM2/ or UltimateDOOM/ will let you play those games instead. I hope everything goes smoothly for anyone else who wants to try DOOM on their Amiga the easy way.

I have tested this configuration on several Amiga setups, and can confirm it works on:

A1200 + 4MB FastRAM
A1200 + 8MB FastRAM
CD32 + SX32 + 8MB FastRAM
A1200 + 030/28 + 32MB FastRAM
A1200 + 030/50 + 128MB FastRAM

Here is the link to the AmigaDOOM.lha file:

http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/AmigaDOOM.lha

The archive contains no copyrighted data, it's all made up of files from Aminet. I'm sorry I don't have a link to some sort of "DOOMwads.lha" file as well, so you'll have to find those yourself on an old DOOM CD or by purchasing it online. Or use the shareware DOOM.wad which is freely available. Or if you're clever, you might work out a way by copying and pasting URLs and file names, who knows...
Old 29 March 2010, 02:15   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Excellent work Cammy - thanks for doing this - I will give this a try out tomorrow.
Old 29 March 2010, 04:22   #3
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Cool !! nice work cammy

how about doing a scriprt/batch file for the assigns then setting its protection bits to S is it for script, been a long while since done anything like that. It would make running the game easier I think

anyway did I say ribbiting Great
Old 29 March 2010, 04:43   #4
Cammy

There aren't any assigns needed, you just extract the file, copy the .wad file over, and double click on the icon.

I suppose I could write a Startup-Sequence for it if that's what you mean, for people who like to run it without Workbench.
Old 29 March 2010, 05:16   #5
NovaCoder

Good job Cammy
Old 29 March 2010, 11:49   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Nice work Cammy, I've been using ADoom on my 030's and its a bit slow..

Will this work on my A600 with the Apoll0 630? I guess the best way is to try it and find out...

Steve.
Old 29 March 2010, 11:56   #7
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thanks Cammy ill give this ago -Ive also been using ADoom but if I can get abit more speed great
Old 29 March 2010, 13:13   #8
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Superb, i'll try it ASAP.

You can find homebrew working .wads at ModDB. Or at Doom Wad Central.

Some of them are really good. If you wanna get more of these you could
search in the web for some Dreamcast Homebrew disc with Doom files.

I have a couple of these working on my DC and there are plenty of homebrew wads there.
Non commercial ones. Sorry. But i don't think that could be a problem.
Old 29 March 2010, 13:19   #9
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

When I had only an A1200 with a Phase5 Blizzard 1220/IV, I've tried all the Amiga Doom executables back in the day, the only which worked on my config with this amount of Fastram was PsyDoom only. Had you give a try to that one too? don't know if it has any updates, but the speed was acceptable on my config.
Had not checked your package yet, but will look into it. Thanks.
Old 29 March 2010, 13:35   #10
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Excellent work Cammy, thanks for that. I can't wait to get home and try this out.
Old 29 March 2010, 14:53   #11
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I run adoom directly from workbench on an a1200 desktop with apollo 030 50mhz and 8 mb ram. It works well, but the 030 goes hotter than hell!!!. Welcome back Cammy!!!

Last edited by _ThEcRoW; 29 March 2010 at 14:55. Reason: forgot to say
Old 29 March 2010, 18:27   #12
christianlucio

Great job ! I was waiting for something like that a long time
Old 30 March 2010, 01:04   #13
rockersuke

I've been playing with it for a while and must say It works noticeably faster than my Adoom setup in a 030-50MHz A1200, which makes it good, and doesn't have a trouble with my own sprite, graphics, sound and maps wads, which makes it even better!

I've also noticed that doomattack has an -wad option to select the main wad on start, making the three separate drawers not really that necessary, or perhaps I'm just missing something there! ^_^'

Great job anyway, and a big thanks to Cammy for It!

--
Old 30 March 2010, 03:50   #14
Cammy

Thanks guys, but I didn't really do that much, the program worked already I think some people just had trouble configuring it. Also it's true that the three separate directories aren't needed, if someone wants to make an icon for each of the wads and put them all in one directory that would work better.
Old 30 March 2010, 08:39   #15
ami_junkie

Probably a silly question but will an 1220/28 with 4mb run Doom ok?

Old 30 March 2010, 08:56   #16
Cammy

Yep, should work fine, you might want to run it without the Startup-Sequence just to get the best performance from it, and switch off music in DoomAttackPrefs (just remove the music plugin so the string is empty).

You'll probably want to reduce the screen size and have the graphics in Low Detail but it'll be playable.
Old 30 March 2010, 09:02   #17
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I tried DoomAttack some years ago, when I still had a true amiga. I found it better than ADOOM.
Old 07 November 2010, 12:53   #18
Fabie
Banned

anyone have made benchmarks test of ADOOM and DOOMAttack?
can anyone confirm that DOOMAttack is faster than Adoom?
Old 10 November 2010, 21:51   #19
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
[ Show youtube player ]

Video of my Amiga 1200T running DoomAttack.
I find no speed differences with Adoom vs Doomattack (68060) both deliver a max of 35fps
I think Doom is limited to 35fps as even AdoomWOS (PPC) does not exceed this framerate.
Old 11 November 2010, 20:25   #20
jimbob005

Send a message via MSN to jimbob005
i found the best way to play doom is on a sega 32x ...

only joking good work will try this when i get the amiga out