English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 January 2019, 10:48   #1
c0dehunter

Amiga OS 3.1.4 - Can you install it on an existing 3.1 ?

Currently, I am running my A1200 with Kickstart ROMs version 3.1 (original ESCOM version), and have installed ClassicWB-ADVSP on a 2GB CompactFlash card.

I just received my shiny AmigaOS 3.1.4 in the mail (A1200 version, with the actual 3.1.4 ROM chips included! - bought from Amiga on the Lake in the US)

I would like to know if I can install AmigaOS 3.1.4 over my existing 3.1, upgrading it, and then *clone* it to a larger (bought a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro ComapctFlash card)

Thanks!
Old 17 January 2019, 11:00   #2
Daedalus

It can be used to upgrade a 3.1 installation, yes, and IIRC files from the old version will be moved to a drawer called Old System or similar, so that you still have them if something goes wrong. But it would be no harm to take a copy of your system partition first anyway, especially since it's not a standard 3.1 install so there may be certain unexpected side-effects of the upgrade. The startup-sequence will be modified for example, which might undo all the customisation added by ClassicWB.

Cloning it is a different matter. If you use PC tools to do the cloning at a block level, the new card will appear to be the same size as the cloned card so you'll need to do some trickery to get the full hard drive size recognised. Alternatively, if you can mount the drive in WinUAE, you can copy all your content off the old card (use copy CLONE in a Shell to save all file properties including modification date), set up the new hard drive with whatever partitions you like, then copy the content back to the relevant partitions. The system should end up the same, but with the larger partitions.
Old 17 January 2019, 11:05   #3
Fendrix

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94493
Old 17 January 2019, 11:17   #4
c0dehunter

Thanks, but I thought these tools would *clone* my CF cards, proportionally. (smaller CF sized, to bigger ones, and vise-Versa)

USB Image Tool
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94557

WinImage
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67293

And win32diskImager
Old 17 January 2019, 11:22   #5
Daedalus

Nope, the image is for a fixed size, say 2GB. If you write that to a 16GB card, it will show up as 2GB as well on the Amiga, since the RDB is cloned along with the rest of it. You could try using thomas' FixHDDSize after putting the image on the new card to update the RDB details - this might give you back the 14GB of empty space to add new partitions in.
Old 17 January 2019, 11:58   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
Thanks, but I thought these tools would *clone* my CF cards, proportionally. (smaller CF sized, to bigger ones, and vise-Versa)

USB Image Tool
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94557
In reality there would be an alternative, partition the CF into two partitions, one to be dedicated to AmigaOS (USB Image Tool allows you to write also on Volumes) and the other as you want or Amiga Partition or Windows FAT 32 Partition.
Old 18 January 2019, 10:08   #7
c0dehunter

I am really beginning to question, why we need to partition our drives (real Hdds, or CF cards), since we can simply create separate folders on this *one single* partition, and say, put games, demos, etc. in them.

Last edited by c0dehunter; 19 January 2019 at 06:28.
Old 18 January 2019, 10:51   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

The reasons may be many, meanwhile on all OS small partitions are better managed, see backup or data recovery, do not underestimate the higher speed of the first partition than the subsequent ones.
Old 19 January 2019, 06:13   #9
c0dehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
The reasons may be many, meanwhile on all OS small partitions are better managed, see backup or data recovery, do not underestimate the higher speed of the first partition than the subsequent ones.

I see. How large a primary partition should be? I have a variety of different sizes CF cards (1GB, 2GB, and a 32GB CF cards, saved for my big AmigaOS 3.1.4 project!) - I plan to create a primary one on these (DH0 - System), and a secondary one (DH1, Games) for example.

Last edited by c0dehunter; 19 January 2019 at 06:35.
Old 20 January 2019, 18:28   #10
Daedalus

I usually use less than 500MB for system partitions.
Old 20 January 2019, 22:55   #11
Devlin
Bane of Magic

I tried the single partition style back in the day and it ended up becoming a mess every time after a few months. Made backing up just WB awkward at best, and if there was an issue with the partition, usually meant everything was gone and I had to start again(oh, to have known about disk recovery tools!).

on my Amiga today, I use a 300MB partition for WB/customizations and about 3.6GB for games, demos, dev tools et al from a 4GB CF card.

I also have a CWB install on a 8GB CF with all the appropriate modules/tweaks for >4GB volumes and a bunch of other random stuff but I rarely(read: never) use it.