English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12 February 2019, 11:32   #161
Lorfarius
Registered User
Lorfarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glossop/UK
Posts: 482
I miss old skool anime.
Lorfarius is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 23:45   #162
Gaula92
Registered User
Gaula92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 438
@Earok: It's not the first time I read you talking about Braindead 13. I knew the game back in the DOS days, in a demo (I don't remember if it was playable or not) but the "computer technician goes to a mansion owned by a bran-in-a-bottle overlord" was amazing. I hope I can see it again on the Amiga and play it this time!
It wasn't really FMV, but "partial motion video", wasn't it? Like, some areas were actively animated on static backgrounds, like Dragon's Lair on Amiga and DOS, wasn't it? Maybe it's just as I remember it...
Gaula92 is offline  
Old 13 February 2019, 03:12   #163
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaula92 View Post
@Earok: It's not the first time I read you talking about Braindead 13. I knew the game back in the DOS days, in a demo (I don't remember if it was playable or not) but the "computer technician goes to a mansion owned by a bran-in-a-bottle overlord" was amazing. I hope I can see it again on the Amiga and play it this time!
It wasn't really FMV, but "partial motion video", wasn't it? Like, some areas were actively animated on static backgrounds, like Dragon's Lair on Amiga and DOS, wasn't it? Maybe it's just as I remember it...
It is full motion video, but it does have a lot of relatively static backgrounds (albeit they're highly detailed ones, so they don't lend themselves well to dynamic camera movements other than basic pans and zooms)

The gimmick with Brain Dead 13 is that it's about the only game of it's genre that allows exploration, you get decisions about which way to turn at junctions, and can do the levels in basically any order because of that.
earok is offline  
Old 15 February 2019, 23:10   #164
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,977
This should be the final final update, there were a couple of minor issues I had to deal with. OCS update probably isn't worth redownloading if you have 1.3b already, but the AGA edition has some more important fixes.

1) Minor fix for displaying crash error messages
2) AGA version - mirror version of 2010 level was corrupt
3) AGA version - 256 Color title screen

OCS HDD 1.3c
https://mega.nz/#!s6AWjSrI!dl1T16ws8...JMgE_i5K6v99mY

AGA HDD 1.3c
https://mega.nz/#!9yR1gSgQ!33t7S5R8G...nJG0ITZ5N1eI0w

OCS and CD32 ISO 1.3c (2x speed CD drive)
https://mega.nz/#!AvJ3xAAJ!NHkOSa5pa...t3kBzCZa9hKvew

AGA ISO 1.3c (4x speed CD drive)
https://mega.nz/#!AyIxDQhT!bNhoVpWxQ...g8z0t_xm6dg3IY
earok is offline  
Old 15 February 2019, 23:12   #165
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 13,601
Thanks earok

...but sigh; guess I have to create another .HDF again

Not the end of the world though, and better to have things perfect
DamienD is offline  
Old 16 February 2019, 01:13   #166
malko
Registered User

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 1,292
Thank you earok for the OCS !
malko is offline  
Old 16 February 2019, 03:22   #167
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,977
Thanks guys!

@DamienD eep, sorry about the repeated updates. Do you mind if I host the final hdf on reimagine as well?

This weekend I'll look at post processing on Roar Avenger, that should be just a one off update since there are fewer complications (given there's no mirror options etc)
earok is offline  
Old 16 February 2019, 11:59   #168
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 13,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Thanks guys!

@DamienD eep, sorry about the repeated updates. Do you mind if I host the final hdf on reimagine as well?
No of course not; please do.

I'll be creating the final final .HDF today sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
This weekend I'll look at post processing on Roar Avenger, that should be just a one off update since there are fewer complications (given there's no mirror options etc)
Alrighty
DamienD is offline  
Old 16 February 2019, 14:05   #169
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 13,601
For emulation users; I've now created a bare-bones .HDF of v1.3c

Download the file "Time Gal AGA v1.3C HDF.rar" from the EAB File Server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HDFs".
DamienD is offline  
Old 21 February 2019, 04:39   #170
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 45
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
This should be the final final update, there were a couple of minor issues I had to deal with. OCS update probably isn't worth redownloading if you have 1.3b already, but the AGA edition has some more important fixes.

1) Minor fix for displaying crash error messages
2) AGA version - mirror version of 2010 level was corrupt
3) AGA version - 256 Color title screen


OCS and CD32 ISO 1.3c (2x speed CD drive)
https://mega.nz/#!AvJ3xAAJ!NHkOSa5pa...t3kBzCZa9hKvew
I burned the CD32 ISO, tried to play it, it's not working.
My CD32 is NTSC, so I get "Software Failure" error box, with Suspend or Reboot buttons.
When I boot to PAL, then the game tries to load, but only goes to an empty Workbench screen with a cursor, that's it.


Do I need extra RAM on CD32, or it should just work?
Any thoughts?


I have same problem with Road Avengers ISO.


Thanks.
amiman99 is offline  
Old 21 February 2019, 05:18   #171
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
I burned the CD32 ISO, tried to play it, it's not working.
My CD32 is NTSC, so I get "Software Failure" error box, with Suspend or Reboot buttons.
When I boot to PAL, then the game tries to load, but only goes to an empty Workbench screen with a cursor, that's it.


Do I need extra RAM on CD32, or it should just work?
Any thoughts?


I have same problem with Road Avengers ISO.


Thanks.
I hadn't really thought about supporting an NTSC CD32 - it is very memory tight due the buffer size being large on that version (in order to reduce the chance of any skips etc, the game buffers as much memory as possible) so simply booting in PAL mode might push it over the RAM limit.

I'll take a look at some sort of handling for NTSC. An NTSC version of the game won't be possible since the animation and audio are timed to PAL, but I might at least be able to force it into PAL mode.

(Damien, since this will be a CD32 only update, no new HDF needed!)
earok is offline  
Old 21 February 2019, 06:12   #172
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 45
Posts: 809
Thanks Earok

I tried both games on my 1200 030 50MHz 64MB RAM, and both games don't work at all.

It would be nice to run it on my CD32.

I noticed that I could not start the Time Gal game on Amiga Forever emulation. The game plays the intro movie, but every combination of a button press will not start the game.
The buttons are mapped to numeric keypad.
amiman99 is offline  
Old 21 February 2019, 06:28   #173
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
Thanks Earok

I tried both games on my 1200 030 50MHz 64MB RAM, and both games don't work at all.

It would be nice to run it on my CD32.

I noticed that I could not start the Time Gal game on Amiga Forever emulation. The game plays the intro movie, but every combination of a button press will not start the game.
The buttons are mapped to numeric keypad.
That is odd - just emulating a one button joystick should be fine for playing the game (I haven't used it admittedly, I only used WinUAE for emulation).

Regarding your A1200, have you tried in no-startup-sequence mode?
earok is offline  
Old 21 February 2019, 07:10   #174
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 45
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
That is odd - just emulating a one button joystick should be fine for playing the game (I haven't used it admittedly, I only used WinUAE for emulation).

Regarding your A1200, have you tried in no-startup-sequence mode?
It's not easy, I would have to do a floppy boot to get the CD drive mounted. My HD is only 4GB on it, so I have to play it from CD. I will do that eventually.


The Time Gal not starting problem is on WinUAE.


On road Avenger, in WinUAE, I start the game by pressing ENTER, then I use arrow keys to play, but in Time Gal, nothing works to get it started. Weird
amiman99 is offline  
Old 21 February 2019, 07:16   #175
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,977
I guess I must have implemented keyboard support in Road Avenger but not Time Gal. In any case, as long as you're emulating a Joystick one way or another in WinUAE, it should be fine. Keyboard layout B is probably the most comfortable (The default layout uses keypad 5 to fire, which is a bit painful)

earok is offline  
Old 21 February 2019, 19:34   #176
amiman99
Registered User

amiman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Age: 45
Posts: 809
This layout works now in my WinUAE, I had the controls reversed.
Thanks.
amiman99 is offline  
Old 22 February 2019, 01:34   #177
malko
Registered User

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Could someone test the unarchiving of the OCS version ?
(you need to have ~600MB free on HD)

Tried twice and following error occurred...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TimeGal-Err-.png
Views:	23
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	62134  
malko is offline  
Old 22 February 2019, 01:38   #178
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,977
Ah, shit. You're right, I got the same error attempting to extract with 7Zip. I'll do a 13.d version but only for OCS builds (fix NTSC CD32 issue as well as extraction for OCS HDD)
earok is offline  
Old 22 February 2019, 02:03   #179
malko
Registered User

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 1,292
More than time to go for me here... so, no worries
Will check tomorrow.
malko is offline  
Old 22 February 2019, 08:15   #180
earok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,977
Ok! TimeGal 1.3C HDD version fixed. I can't explain why level 15 and 15R gets corrupt during compression, I tried all sorts of different things with Windows LHA and couldn't get it to work, so I ended up making the LHA from workbench and that seems to work.

Amiga really does make it possible

Time Gal 1.3C HDD OCS (fixed)

https://mega.nz/#!97gjBS5C!uXu6b6pun...i4Zv-eqgVtxfRo

Also, for amiman99, NTSC fixed CD32 version

https://mega.nz/#!pjh1QaJI!n6X2kcLtk...h2KGYuK6XsWWU0



I think that's everything on both projects. I'll go ahead and update the PixelGlass site in an hour or so with the latest builds.
earok is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amiga Anime CD Project ziovax Amiga websites reviews 87 05 September 2018 20:14
Where Time Stood Still Amiga Release - 6PM GMT 29th July 2014 Galahad/FLT Amiga scene 150 23 December 2017 21:00
Games #53 - 30-page special on the Amiga Legerdemain Amiga scene 1 26 January 2007 14:55
Isn't it time to release Amiga ROM 1.3 for FREE ? Leo42 Retrogaming General Discussion 29 06 July 2004 12:55
Laserdisc Games Big-Byte Retrogaming General Discussion 8 08 April 2002 12:02

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09953 seconds with 16 queries