English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 January 2019, 04:03   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Black mirror: Bandersnatch

I've just watched it in Netflix five minutes ago. 10 out of 10 for a retro freak like me.

Official trailer: [ Show youtube player ]

It's an interactive movie where you've got to take decissions with the mouse like in a game. If you take a wrong one you'll be back in time after some time, so you can change your opinion and take the right one, but it won't be easy many times.

So I think that this is the right place to post about it because it's somekind of a retro game and you know that the gaming concept can change as it's happening and it also will change to different levels that we actually can only imagine.

The story also tells about somekind of a holographic world with multiple time lines and it allows you to go back in time and select a different time line and then another holographic experience or life or any other way you want to call it. Maybe it can be that if you are living again the same time line; the same experience but taking new decissions then you can have from time to time what it's called a "déjà vu".

You should first -just my poor opinion- watch this Youtube video about the free will and about how our brains behave and how the conscious decissions happen. It's called the Libet experiment:

[ Show youtube player ]

The movie is about a young guy in the 80's that wants to make a new game for the speccy...

You'll love it, I can promisse.

And I've just seen (sorry, it's that I've just watched it) that maybe is it a series?. That can be very nice.

I've posted just after finishing watching the first chapter or movie and it has impressed me.

Highly recommended . And sorry if I give too much info that you won't like.

Last edited by Retrofan; 05 January 2019 at 11:01.
Old 05 January 2019, 14:29   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Netflix also has Minecraft: Story Mode which is the same deal, it's actually the Telltale game converted to this interactive movie format. Quite fun.

Last edited by gimbal; 07 January 2019 at 10:47. Reason: typo
Old 05 January 2019, 18:42   #3
Foebane

My sister recommended this to me, and I heard it was almost like TV history in the making. Charlie Brooker wrote it, which is another plus in my book, and I've heard the name "Bandersnatch" already from years ago, I thought it was already a Speccy game, but World of Spectrum says it was never released. If it is actually a multi-choice adventure book, I did not know that.

SPOILERS

Anyway, I played it with some negative choices, and in the end, the guy ended up in jail with his dad and boss murdered, by him. I did love the sense of being God whilst he protests to everyone around him that "his choices are not his own", it was really fun!

I will most likely try it again, sometime. I'm quite interested in the multi-choice system for the videos; did Netflix develop it just for this, or are other games available?
Old 05 January 2019, 20:14   #4
Z3k

Does Bratacass rings some bell?

Last edited by Z3k; 05 January 2019 at 20:17. Reason: link added
Old 05 January 2019, 20:46   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Wow. Well, please Alert don't keep reading because of the spoiler, but if you don't mind...

I've just read that:
There is some escene in which you can (if you get to this situation) see Stefan in the same bus he used when he went to Tuckersoft. This time instead of playing some music, he inserts the Bandersnatch's tape instead that souds very bad, as any Spectrum game.

https://soundcloud.com/cowboystyle/bandersnatch

So if you use that sound with a Speccy emulator, it shows a QR and if you scan it then it takes you to a hidden web with the same name of the ficticial company used in the movie: Tuckersoft. And there you can for example play a game called Nohzdyve.
Old 05 January 2019, 21:53   #6
MartinW

Hmm, we watched this as soon as we heard it was out. I have to say, apart from all the early 80's computer references being pretty cool (and even a few of them were cheesy and crap) we both thought the movie was pretty grim and a couple hours of our lives we'll never get back. Oh well, can't win 'em all I guess.
Old 06 January 2019, 08:18   #7
colmiga

Saw this on Netflix the other day but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

The name and time period made me think it was related to Imagine software and one of the megagames they were making before they went out of business, as per this documentary I watched a while back about them:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 January 2019, 11:28   #8
Taylan Can

i think after a while it is a boring movie
Old 17 January 2019, 13:24   #9
touko

Watched it last night too, and i really liked .
A bit strange to have a "kill your dad" choice,and not a "i want to fuck my psychiatrist" choice.
Old 17 January 2019, 14:18   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
A bit strange to have a "kill your dad" choice,and not a "i want to fuck my psychiatrist" choice.
Sounds like a safety precaution. As the last decade has shown people are fine with all forms of death and murder but lose their shit if a movie shows a nipple.
Old 17 January 2019, 15:59   #11
BrooksterMax

I enjoyed it, sometimes a little tedious when you had to replay some events to make a different choice to progress.

What I do want to know, because I can't remember enough the times - did WH Smiths really look like that in the 80s? I remember the colour scheme and logo but were the stores like that? There was a lot of vinyl in there but barely saw any magazine racks in the episode. It is me being picky, but I am genuinely curious as I used to buy Spectrum games and mags from there all the time.
Old 17 January 2019, 18:05   #12
MartinW

Pretty sure ours had plenty of magazine racks.

Funnily enough, I don't remember the garish colour scheme. I do remember the logo though. Overall the accuracy of the film was pretty good. Even down to the tediousness of replaying things because for me the games / books were just like that. The feeling of not being able to tell if you got the best out of it so doing it again!
Old 17 January 2019, 18:11   #13
mcgeezer

Quote:
That was the point though wasnt it, he (and that jerome dude) were being controlled by us in their future.

I thought it was ok, nothing special - if it didnt have the gaming/programming theme in there it would have been shite.
Old 17 January 2019, 22:50   #14
Steve
Truth seeker...

Funny that you can tell him you're watching him on Netflix. That was hilarious if a bit dumb.
Old 17 January 2019, 23:30   #15
golem

I enjoyed it. Charlie Brooker and his team are great as I have enjoyed all of the Black Mirror episodes on Netflix.
Old 18 January 2019, 00:38   #16
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Just finished watching this and found it very enjoyable. I’d just watched the Metalhead Black Mirror episode and thought it was a cool reference in Bandersnatch. Made me think was Metalhead all a game as well?

Did I see Jeff Minter in Bandersnatch as well or just a lookalike?
Old 18 January 2019, 14:42   #17
rothers

Quote:
You can get that choice but it does not go as you expect
Old 18 January 2019, 16:27   #18
KONEY
Vampire 2 Amiga Musician

The plot reminded me too much of 23, the story of Karl Koch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_(film)
Old 18 January 2019, 19:15   #19
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Just finished watching this and found it very enjoyable. I’d just watched the Metalhead Black Mirror episode and thought it was a cool reference in Bandersnatch. Made me think was Metalhead all a game as well?

Did I see Jeff Minter in Bandersnatch as well or just a lookalike?
Yes, it was Jeff Minter.
Old 18 January 2019, 20:16   #20
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I knew it. I pointed it out to my wife who couldn’t have cared less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk