English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 September 2003, 18:55   #21
BippyM
Global Moderator

In the Zone is a trainer for this fabbo new ver of HOH

It was done by Amigaboy

there are a couple of limitations though!!

1). Scores cannot be submitted if using trainer
2). Games cannot be saved if using trainer

Other than that.. Jobs a good 'un
Old 24 September 2003, 19:33   #22
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Wow Amigaboy !

Fabolous stuff ! Can't believe it really ))

And thanx for making it so that high scores cannot be send if using the trainer... otherwise I could just close the online high score thingy

Really good job ))
Old 24 September 2003, 22:20   #23
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Great job Amiga boy... How did you write it so fast... Or how do you write a trainer in the first place..

I really love the sci-fi levels.
Old 25 September 2003, 16:46   #24
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
In the Zone is a trainer for this fabbo new ver of HOH

It was done by Amigaboy

Other than that.. Jobs a good 'un

Amigaboy was here,& I missed him? Damm not one of my happier weeks *Sighs*
Old 25 September 2003, 19:50   #25
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Yes, but its not a bug... its in the original too and its just a very bad room design ... it can happen in 2 or 3 rooms in the game. I decided to keep it as it is - because it is true to the original.

There is a save game fish a few rooms back which you can use before that room. That was the original idea (in original game it saved the game "automatically" and u only got one load).

With so many people having problems with this "bug" I think I will change it to be less irritating in v1.1 (if that ever happens).
Old 25 September 2003, 19:54   #26
tomcat666
Retro Freak

btw. if you don't pickup the bunny in this room then you will be more lucky if you fall from the room above - the bunny actually stops the robot from getting you !!! The same as in original !
Old 26 September 2003, 14:53   #27
LordIvo

The game is just great but too difficult at some points. I played the amiga version some time ago and never had a problems with heels to pass the robots (as in the scene with endless loop) he was just a bit quicker there...

Another "pain" is that heels can't do any manouvres while jumping or falling -- don't remember if that was in the amiga version either.

Otherwise this game is fab and I wish more 3D iso remakes will come after this...
Old 27 September 2003, 15:39   #28
Fissuras
Old Luny

Tomcat, I've tried a beta some time ago, and now I am enjoying the game so much... what a great task you and your team have done. Wonderfull!!!!!!! Congratulatios to you all!!!!!!
Old 28 September 2003, 13:33   #29
gaterooze

Just checked out the remake -- absolutely superb. What an amazing job. I never did finish the original (c64 or Amiga), but now I'll certainly try again! THANK YOU.
Old 29 September 2003, 16:01   #30
Drake1009

I've got a question though. The room 2 rooms back from the Blacktooth crown. Do you use some sort of AI for the thing scooting around there. Trying to dump a block on it was a pain in the a$$. It seemed that it would keep following me around as long as I was not positioned to drop the block, as soon as I got to the top and ready to drop it would avoid the pillar even if I was running arond the floor with the other char. After about 40 minutes I managed to get the drop on the thing.
Old 29 September 2003, 18:53   #31
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Nope, it is totally random, honest ! The only one with AI is the robot , and that AI is the same as old one
Old 07 October 2003, 09:06   #32
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
Hey rattus, akira, frederic and all others interested, it's been ported to OS X too.

You can find it via MacUpdate, Version Tracker, MacGameFiles and probably other places.

I already downloaded and it plays just like the PC version, but on the mac .
Old 08 October 2003, 20:51   #33
CreepingDeath

this is very nice indeed, i remember playing when i was very small and doing about 98% of it, will try again soon

anyone got that spec256 emu working mentioned above?
i press f5 to load rom and it crashes to windows. site all in spanish i cant read it
Old 08 October 2003, 22:04   #34
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

So?

Wheres the new Amiga version then?
Old 08 October 2003, 22:33   #35
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by CreepingDeath
anyone got that spec256 emu working mentioned above?
i press f5 to load rom and it crashes to windows. site all in spanish i cant read it
The site has an English language option - click the little UK flag.

And yep, I've got it working ok.
Old 09 October 2003, 07:21   #36
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Well, if anyone wants to port it to amiga (morph OS or Amiga OS ?) then be my guest. You will need an amiga with atleast 196 Mb of mem (I know, my fault, no mem. manager inside the game - tought it would fit into 16Mb but Graham just made more and more beautifull graphics and it was because of my laziness that it now requires so much mem) and quite fast processor... on Mac it works fine with G4 400 Mhz
Old 10 October 2003, 08:43   #37
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Right, this has to be said.

Your interpretation and presentation of Head over Heels is excellent. I can't fault you on that. It really is first class. Its a fantastic first effort which neatly updates the game for modern times without losing why it was such a cool game in the first place.

That, was the good news.

....The fact it needs that level of memory is UTTERLY ridiculous!

I see absolutely no reason why it has such ridiculous overheads for the style of game it is.

If you've written it in the conventional style:

1). Map data for each level (which can obviously be separated for each level
2). Separate Graphics blocks to compose each level which are used in conjunction with the map data to compose each level.

Just as a for instance. Speris Legacy on Amiga is HUGE in terms of the area in which you can walk, and it fitted into an A12oo with only 2meg of chipram, without having to access the hard drive every two seconds for loading because it was coded economically and responsibly.

Please can you explain to me how your system works, because I am trying to rack my brain as to why it is so huge. Each level isn't a separate picture or something daft is it?

Sorry if it sounds negative, but the only reason this can't be ported directly onto the Amiga is because of the memory requirements. For a game of this style, the Amiga should walk it.

Just a thought.
Old 10 October 2003, 08:51   #38
manicx

I agree with Galahad there, Amigas were made for such kind of games. Speris Legacy is indeed huge and I spend months playing it. If Speris Legacy can run on the Amiga, then HoH will just fly...
Old 10 October 2003, 08:52   #39
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Hey Galahad !

I think it needs a bit of explaining, yeah

Anyway, the problem was that from the start I tought each planet would have the original number of tiles, just recoloured. It went from that to a HUGE number of tiles and objects - animations, which is now numbered at over 750 graphics bitmaps - all are double resolution and at 16bit colour.
It is totally my fault that it takes so much memory, since my engine loads everything at the start - the actual room data is only 1.6Mb big, everything else is Bitmaps, WAV files and OGG files. Bitmaps in fact take up 80Mb on their own, the rest is taken up by WAVs and OGG music (it plays from memory - this time not my fault!)
The problem is how the engine is coded. The engine was never meant to be used for a huge game like this, since it was only meant as a little test thing from the start. Then I just kept adding things and I found myself remaking HoH. Never had time to go back and add some sort of memory handling to it, so it would just keep the relevant bitmaps in memory that are used for the current rooms that Head and Heels are in.
I know it is unforgivable, but unfortunetly I never had time to go back and repair the damage.
I *AM* planning an update for this thing, so it will get a memory handler for bitmaps, which will reduce its memory drastically, but I need time for this and work is currently big on time ((
I plan of doing this update for version 1.1 of the game. When this is done then more ports will be possible (including Amiga port). Unfortunetly I am not sure when I will have time to do that. There are shitloads of bitmaps all over the code, so it might take more time then I think now. But it will be done someday ;-)
Old 10 October 2003, 19:42   #40
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Cool.

Would be a shame to not see it on loads of formats because of the way it was written.

You've done a great version that deserves to be seen on as many different formats so other people can appreciate the effort.

Sorry if I sound so blunt, but I have made it somewhat an art in ensuring that it fit in a reasonable configuration.

I appreciate that to most PC owners, 196MB is nothing really, but when you consider other memory requirements for far more complex games, then you start to wonder why HOH is so huge a memory hogger.

Hope to see it when you've done. I could even see it on Gameboy Advance!