English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 June 2008, 11:59   #21
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Laser

sorry forum chummy, but I will side with alexh on this, although emulation has gotten to the point where I am comfy with its performance, and in areas it performs quite well, (like mario cart) it still has issues with some ROMs and I am yet to fond one that will play Golden Eye flawlessly (amongst some other games)

I have all the latest and greatest N64 emulators here, both on my Xbox and PC, and for 60% of the games i am happy which is fine, but if you are a real enthusiast then emulation still has a fair bit to go.
Old 06 June 2008, 13:57   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It might be something to do with having the right plugin for the right game... perhaps with the wrong plugin the games dont work well?

Last time I tried conkers there were some strange things... his eyelids were missing... effects like being drunk didn't work very well neither did lighting with electricity.

I also think if you didn't play the games extensively on the real N64 you don't notice the gfx glitches as much as you don't know what it was supposed to look like.

I played Conkers on the XBOX just recently and while the gfx is much better there are places where they changed the game for seemingly no good reason? (Perhaps to avoid 18 certification or something?)

Last edited by alexh; 06 June 2008 at 14:06.
Old 06 June 2008, 19:03   #23
Harrison
classicamiga.com

N64 emulation does require a bit of fiddling with the settings in most N64 emulators. As mentioned there are different plugin for the graphics engine, sound, control etc... and for some games you have to experiment to get the best setup. However I've always managed to get most games running perfectly and looking much better then on the real console.
Old 06 June 2008, 20:00   #24
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Laser

sorry forum chummy, but I will side with alexh on this, although emulation has gotten to the point where I am comfy with its performance, and in areas it performs quite well, (like mario cart) it still has issues with some ROMs and I am yet to fond one that will play Golden Eye flawlessly (amongst some other games)

I have all the latest and greatest N64 emulators here, both on my Xbox and PC, and for 60% of the games i am happy which is fine, but if you are a real enthusiast then emulation still has a fair bit to go.
Golden eye is emulated at the perfection..I guarantee

use 1964 emulator and rice video plugin 6.1.1 to play this game
it can be downloaded here
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php...64plugins.html
also I recommend the use of darkman plugin (special input plugin made for first person shooters)

in this particular game there are some issues on P64 & jabo video plugin...(pauses and the sky is lost)
Old 07 June 2008, 02:28   #25
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@laser

fairs fair, i shall try these plugin's, but i think i may already have them.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:39   #26
dirkies
Zone Friend

Hehe, I still got a full blown V64/256 with all roms and a DX saver + I dunno what other cartridge on CDs connected with a US expanded N64 console with 2 rumble packed joyspads to my plasma today!
The extra memory was a seperate bulky memory chip.
I always wondered if the V64 accepted IDE DVD drives. I tried once with a Plextor but it would not read anything. A post mentioned a LiteOn DVD worked, but I am not sure if that is BS or not (it only accepted Liteon CD drives, so maybe V64 works with any Liteon?). I did replace the PSU (the original gave up after a few weeks, total crap), the CD drive (now a 40x lite-on, the original was cheap crap aswell) and the unit now still works as of today. A HDD would be nice, as all roms I have are about 30GB I believe.
But now as the Wii has Mario64 as download, only if I had BustaMove99, I would sell the whole thing, even got the original packaging, but I aswell think eBay would not allow me to sell it.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:52   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
With the Z64 (using a custom bios) you can fit an HDD or a CF/SD card reader instead of the standard zip drive. And it's IDE supports two devices so you can fit an HDD and card reader, or two card readers at the same time. Pretty cool.

I've not kept tabs on it, but I expect if owners have managed to get an HDD working with the D64 then a card reader should also work and save a lot of hassle as you could then just copy games to the card in your PC and transfer them to the D64 that way.

As for where in the UK I am. I'm in Hampshire, near Salisbury.

surely must be fordingbridge then?
Old 09 June 2008, 10:55   #28
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
I always wondered if the V64 accepted IDE DVD drives.
I doubt it. DVD drives if I remember rightly have a different sector size to CDROMS. 2418 bytes per sector vs 2,352 bytes per sector for CD-R... but I am not sure that matters unless you are writing??
Old 10 June 2008, 02:28   #29
Harrison
classicamiga.com

That is an interesting idea. If you could get a DVD-Rom drive to work in a CD64 or V64 then think how many more games you could fit on a disc.

I did some searching and some have reported that it is possible. You would need a DVD-Rom drive that supports DOS mode, then it should work. However some report that you would also need to give the drive its own power source due to DVD drives needing much more than CD drives to function.

Last edited by Harrison; 10 June 2008 at 02:38.