English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 July 2018, 15:46   #1
Marchie

Goteks...

(Sorry in advance for a common question!)

So how easy is it to set one of these up to work with an Amiga?

Can I just buy the cheapest one I can find on Ebay and flash the firmware? Or is it better to buy one already setup from an Amiga dealer?

Pros? Cons?
Old 30 July 2018, 16:51   #2
dalek

Everything you need to know is here: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki

Any old 34pin china gotek will be fine to flash - the wiki has the models to avoid
Old 31 July 2018, 02:23   #3
Marchie

Thanks friend!
Old 01 August 2018, 09:29   #4
bugsymalone666
Amiga baby yeah!

Depends on your skill levels really.

I in the first instance bought an Ebay Amiga one, £28 I think it was and it came with a small DVD that had the software on/instructions, even included tons of games! - Just add your own memory stick

The second one I bought I did a bit more of a DIY job:

Bought a universal Gotek for about £13 from China, turned it in to an HxC by getting a usb TTL programmer (about £3 on ebay) and following the instructions on the HxC stuff I found, you have to apply for a licence for that one and its about £8-10, its more involved but you can even include a small LCD of your choosing that shows file names.

So out the box £28 is the easiest plug in solution, ready coded, comes with instructions and games, DIY is much more involved, a little cheaper, but with more function!(well a full display)
Old 01 August 2018, 09:52   #5
Daedalus

The FlashFloppy software also supports OLED displays for image names, easy selection etc., and is free
Old 02 August 2018, 01:52   #6
Marchie

How many disks does FlashFloppy support? Cortex is a little twitchy, but it's rather nice having 50-100 disks on offer (HxC only offers about 10 right?)
Old 02 August 2018, 11:16   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
How many disks does FlashFloppy support? Cortex is a little twitchy, but it's rather nice having 50-100 disks on offer (HxC only offers about 10 right?)
Do you mean how many disks you are able to have on the stick at the same time? With both FF and HxC, you can use 1000 slots with the normal 3x7-segment display (000-999). They can both use LCD or OLED displays as well as a rotary encoder for quicker selection.

I'm not sure what you mean with 10 for HxC? HxC can do everything FF can do, plus some extra. Cortex should never be considered any longer since FF is better in pretty much any meaningful comparison.
Old 02 August 2018, 12:30   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Ah, I notice you don't need a USB->TTL Serial link cable or solder Serial pin headers anymore!

All you need is a USB-A to USB-A cable.

Nice.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:15   #9
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Do you mean how many disks you are able to have on the stick at the same time? With both FF and HxC, you can use 1000 slots with the normal 3x7-segment display (000-999). They can both use LCD or OLED displays as well as a rotary encoder for quicker selection.

I'm not sure what you mean with 10 for HxC? HxC can do everything FF can do, plus some extra. Cortex should never be considered any longer since FF is better in pretty much anymeaningful comparison.
I saw a Gotke in a 2000 with HxC and the guy told me he could only 'mount' 10 or so disks at a time. Maybe that was and old version or (more likely) I've just mis-understood, thanks for the info!
Old 15 August 2018, 07:11   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I saw a Gotke in a 2000 with HxC and the guy told me he could only 'mount' 10 or so disks at a time. Maybe that was and old version or (more likely) I've just mis-understood, thanks for the info!
Ah, that must have been using the file selector. In there you have a number of slots which you can assign which is meant as a per-game basis. You won't find many games spanning more than 10 disks though.
You can still fill up the USB stick with hundreds of disk images, and when you're changing the game, then you just select the 2-3 disks for this game and then they will be the only available disks until you reassign them. It makes it quicker to swap disks if you need to do it often since all irrelevant disks will be hidden.
Old 15 August 2018, 08:29   #11
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:

The current HxC Selector slot limitation is 999 file images. And this can be pushed to 65535 images easily.

the 10 slots limitation is not right.

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 15 August 2018 at 08:46.
Old 17 August 2018, 16:37   #12
Solderbro

Payed 20€ for the latest gotek and modded it with speaker and oled display. This looks nice and sound like an old floppy drive, FF support 999 images including write for real copy to get adf from real floppies. Nice for xcopy

Old 18 August 2018, 12:00   #13
nobody

I am thinking to buy one for my other Amiga 500 and mod with flash floppy, maybe add some speaker and oled display. I read in the wiki that you need SFR prefix and U100. Is there a file selector when you start or you have to search in 100s of adfs?
Old 19 August 2018, 09:08   #14
Solderbro

There is a selector program in the FF image, it would be booted first if configured that way. FF is widely configurable through the ff.cfg on the usb key, you can have one for harddisk boot and another for floppy boot with games and demos on it.
The speaker mod sounds much better, if the speaker can sound out of the Gotek case.
Old 24 August 2018, 03:03   #15
Marchie

Worked! Cheap Goteks came from Hong Kong, easy to flash, working with LED screen perfectly. Cheap and a LOT better than cortex firmware. Saw all the adf's on my USB without any hassle.

Haven't tried the sound option yet, but I intend to give it a go sooner or later.

It was a real effort to mount in the A500 without cutting or damaging the case though - I had to use a bunch of motherboard risers I had sitting around.

Also there doesn't really seem to be a reliable way to mount the LED display. I had one of those little wedge-shaped OLED cases and had naively assumed I could run the wires through the air vents, but I couldn't see how there was room to do that, even if I removed the pins on the OLED and soldered the wires in super-neatly. I've ended up mounting it on the left side of the case with the wires running down the side and into the expansion port - contained, and non-destructive, but not as elegant as I had hoped.

Maybe the assumption is that you will just cut the case to accommodate the wires. Has anyone managed to mount the OLED on top of the case non-destructively?
Old 24 August 2018, 07:00   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Maybe the assumption is that you will just cut the case to accommodate the wires. Has anyone managed to mount the OLED on top of the case non-destructively?
I prefer to put the Gotek in an external case and then use some kind of boot selector in the Amiga to make it DF0.
But if you want to install it internally, perhaps this is inspiration:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...IIC-Printed-3D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2ml3Q9i.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	766.4 KB
ID:	59479  
Old 24 August 2018, 09:12   #17
Marchie

That is almost the exact setup I have, but with the OLED on the other side of the machine, I cannot fathom how they get the wires to the OLED in that position without cutting the case - there is no gap under the OLED itself to fit the wires...
Old 24 August 2018, 09:26   #18
demolition
Unregistered User

It looks to me like there should be room for some thin wires since the display is tilted a bit. It's not like it needs any significant power, so you can use some really thin wires like the ones used in small transducer coice coils or transformers/relays.
Old 27 August 2018, 00:36   #19
Marchie

Fair 'nuff...