English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 25 November 2018, 15:39   #1461
Dunny

God damn that there Starquake has waaaaay too many unskippable pointless screens before you get to the game.

Anyone fancy doing a cracked version that lets you start playing in less time than it takes to load the Spectrum version?
Old 25 November 2018, 16:16   #1462
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I guess you're using Windows 10? You shouldn't need to be an Administrator but if so, is your account not an Administrator on your own computer?

Maybe your UAC settings are set as default and have never been changed?
True, I've never touched the UAC settings, choosing to keep them on for another level of safety (also run antivirus/antimalware). Interesting thought though to turn it off for installers that don't see UAC. Of course, there is no way to know in advance if something I install does support it (unless it asks me if I want to install for all users or similar). For most, all I can do is install, see where it installed the icons, then reinstall without UAC if need be.

I would say this is a flaw in MS's UAC design, but I suppose if they put an option right out in front to install without UAC then that would defeat its purpose. Anyway, I've been wanting some way to run an installer without automatic elevation (this installer is far from the first that gave me this issue) and it looks like you gave an answer. And thanks for mentioning backing up the registry key in the initial instructions- because of this I knew right where to go to finish the installation.
Old 25 November 2018, 16:55   #1463
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, made some small centring adjustments to a few configuration files today; which I had noted down many months ago but forgot to implement...

Anyway, download and extract the following into C:\WinUAE\Configurations

Last edited by DamienD; 09 December 2018 at 19:51.
Old 25 November 2018, 17:15   #1464
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
God damn that there Starquake has waaaaay too many unskippable pointless screens before you get to the game.

Anyone fancy doing a cracked version that lets you start playing in less time than it takes to load the Spectrum version?
Probably best writing this comment in the following thread: Starquake: Support & Release Thread

...as opposed to my DamienD's WinUAE Collection one.

Maybe when Galahad releases v1.2 he can make it possible to skip most screens to the following:

Anyway, copied yours and this post to his thread for you Dunny
Old 25 November 2018, 18:53   #1465
Dunny

Quote:
Probably best writing this comment in the following thread: Starquake: Support & Release Thread

...as opposed to my DamienD's WinUAE Collection one.

Maybe when Galahad releases v1.2 he can make it possible to skip most screens to the following:

Anyway, copied yours and this post to his thread for you Dunny
Cheers D! Good work on the latest update btw. You're still rocking it
Old 25 November 2018, 19:25   #1466
DamienD
Banned

Galahad has answered your query in the Starquake: Support & Release Thread thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Ahem.... already has that as an option

Hold fire button down on EAB screen and it will skip the entire intro and load from the interlaced box scan screen.
Old 25 November 2018, 21:45   #1467
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm, made some small centring adjustments to a few configuration files today; which I had noted down many months ago but forgot to implement...

Anyway, download and extract the following into C:\WinUAE\Configurations
Ooops, noticed I messed up one configuration file

New archive re-attached to post #1462; sorry guys
Old 25 November 2018, 22:14   #1468
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

Quote:
Ooops, noticed I messed up one configuration file

New archive re-attached to post #1462; sorry guys
Either I grabbed the file between your updating the original post and making the new post, or the post wasn't actually updated (logged in using another browser to make sure so cache shouldn't be an issue). The one I downloaded shows six files with a September 30 date and three (Super Nibbly, Chubby Gristle, and Stack Up) with November 23 dates. Is this the updated post?

EDIT: Just checked CRCs and it looks like Soccer Kid [AGA] is different, so I got the updated file. I guess it shows the creation date rather than the updated date. Apologies.
Old 25 November 2018, 22:21   #1469
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qun Mang View Post
Either I grabbed the file between your updating the original post and making the new post, or the post wasn't actually updated (logged in using another browser to make sure so cache shouldn't be an issue). The one I downloaded shows six files with a September 30 date and three (Super Nibbly, Chubby Gristle, and Stack Up) with November 23 dates. Is this the updated post?
Yup, all "minor" centring fixes

Quote:
EDIT: Just checked CRCs and it looks like Soccer Kid [AGA] is different, so I got the updated file. I guess it shows the creation date rather than the updated date. Apologies.
...but yes; "Soccer Kid [AGA]" is the one I messed up somehow; but is now fixed in the latest archive
Old 26 November 2018, 08:29   #1470
capitanGiaco

grazie Damien!!!!
Old 26 November 2018, 23:08   #1471
Barry1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

Here is an idea if you want to skip pass all the cut scenes to get straight to the game. When you eventually get to the title screen make a save state, then when you want to play the game again just load the save state and BINGO!!! skip all the cut scenes.
Old 26 November 2018, 23:27   #1472
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry1983 View Post
Here is an idea if you want to skip pass all the cut scenes to get straight to the game. When you eventually get to the title screen make a save state, then when you want to play the game again just load the save state and BINGO!!! skip all the cut scenes.
Yup, since we are emulating... I was thinking the exact same thing the other day

Anyway, Galahad has answered Dunny's query... and is useful for real Amiga users:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Ahem.... already has that as an option

Hold fire button down on EAB screen and it will skip the entire intro and load from the interlaced box scan screen.
Old 26 November 2018, 23:39   #1473
Barry1983

Quote:
Yup, since we are emulating... I was thinking the exact same thing the other day

Anyway, Galahad has answered Dunny's query... and is useful for real Amiga users:
OOPS sorry, I missed that post my bad
Old 26 November 2018, 23:58   #1474
DamienD
Banned

Not at all... the suggestion of "Save States" is very good; and one that no person emulating should overlook

...use whenever you like; anytime / any place (especially when games don't support saving / loading)
Old 27 November 2018, 00:50   #1475
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thank you Damien.
As usual great update pack !

Edit: changed hosting site as 'tinypic' is closing down

<< >>

Last edited by malko; 26 October 2020 at 23:07.
Old 27 November 2018, 03:22   #1476
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

This is truly an amazing collection. I have tried several games now and have yet to run into any issues. I started with one I remember fondly- Brat. I was never that great at it but wow- I'm certainly bad now (was the pointer that fast on the original??). Then I moved into some others like Hole-in-one mini golf, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies, Cannon Fodder, and more (saw Rolling Thunder, fired it up, and yikes- what an awful port that was- should see if Zeusdaz has a "shit games" video on it!). You've certainly put some hard work into this one Damien. If I run into anything (I have only scratched the surface) I will let you know.

BTW- I don't know why I thought this was a Launchbox database in case you're wondering why I brought that up.

EDIT: Just tried R-Type & R-Type II (ports how they *should* be made) and ran into gurus after posting a high score in the first game, and during the first level in R-Type II. Dunno if this is due to the configurations or if they just don't work right in WinUAE.

Last edited by Qun Mang; 27 November 2018 at 03:43.
Old 27 November 2018, 10:45   #1477
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
BTW- I don't know why I thought this was a Launchbox database in case you're wondering why I brought that up.
Yes, I did wonder why you commented about purchasing Launchbox.

Quote:
EDIT: Just tried R-Type & R-Type II (ports how they *should* be made) and ran into gurus after posting a high score in the first game, and during the first level in R-Type II. Dunno if this is due to the configurations or if they just don't work right in WinUAE.
Strange; will test when home tonight.

Just a thought, did you change the floppy drive emulation speed? Some games don't like this.

Edit: another thought, the file "R-Type (1987)(Rainbow Arts)[cr Flashtro][t +6 Flashtro].adf" isn't write protected is it? I've noticed this with a lot of Flashtro releases.

Last edited by DamienD; 27 November 2018 at 11:40.
Old 27 November 2018, 14:45   #1478
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just tested "R-Type"; got a high score and all was ok... no guru and started a new game:

I'll test "R-Type II" later night once home.
Old 27 November 2018, 17:10   #1479
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just tested "R-Type II" and played through the first level, no crashes or gurus:

One thing though; the game played very slowly... usually for A500 games I'd have "Cycle-exact" ticked but it seems to cause issues here...

Will adjust the config tonight

Last edited by DamienD; 27 November 2018 at 18:10.
Old 27 November 2018, 18:14   #1480
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

I didn't mess with any of your settings. Maybe it was a fluke- I'll try again tonight. Thanks for checking.