English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 26 July 2012, 20:58   #21
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I vote FiX them
Old 26 July 2012, 20:59   #22
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I vote FiX them
+1
Old 26 July 2012, 21:10   #23
Cassiel

I vote no (sorry Crashdisk).... representing the disk 100% accurately is only the right thing to do. If there were/are 'errors' in the original disk then that's that.

I also don't think it's a great idea to widely spread 'fixed' IPFs either... provide info to users of how to remove the malware, sure... but prowler is right - you know what will happen, these 'proper' IPF images will get widely distributed as the 'corrected' game...

Anyway... just my 2cents (as a non-hardcore Amiga community member and TOSEC old timer).
Old 26 July 2012, 21:25   #24
mai

Only IPFs created by SPS guys are valid for TOSEC preservation!
Old 26 July 2012, 21:33   #25
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I am, quite frankly, dismayed by this attitude. Personally, I find it very discouraging.

I have to say that, although the warts and all approach is an honourable one, I think it would be a mistake to give unofficial IPFs the opportunity to become the preferred versions in this instance, or indeed in any instance for whatever reason.

Just my 2 cents.
IPF's are 1:1 copies of original games so the decision to keep the virus bootblocks is perfectly fine IMHO. There's nothing dismaying about that! Most users keep their disks write protected anyway so the virus bootblocks won't do any harm.
Old 26 July 2012, 21:40   #26
Crashdisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
I vote no (sorry Crashdisk)....
Sorry for what? I just want to inform users of the presence of viruses (with [v] flag). Nothing more!
Old 26 July 2012, 21:46   #27
mai

in general, why changing anything in IPFs, removing viruses and so on, in case of a virus, convert to ADF and remove the beast.
Old 26 July 2012, 22:04   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

I knew I would open a can of worms by posting my opinion above.

Thanks for all your replies!
Old 26 July 2012, 22:09   #29
mai

back to the meaning of the thread!
Possible solution:
-renaming IPFs inside multi-zip to TNC style
-single-zip renamed IPFs
this means, allowing double crc32 then.
Old 26 July 2012, 22:58   #30
Cassiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdisk View Post
Sorry for what? I just want to inform users of the presence of viruses (with [v] flag). Nothing more!
Typing failure... didn't mean you, meant the other disagreeing. /slaps for Cassiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
back to the meaning of the thread!
Possible solution:
-renaming IPFs inside multi-zip to TNC style
-single-zip renamed IPFs
this means, allowing double crc32 then.
Well you know what I think....

No different from ADF though right? ADF = IPF on *this* subject?
i.e.
Blah (2000)(Foo)(Disk 1 of 2)(US).adf (CRC 123456A) + Blah (2000)(Foo)(Disk 2 of 2)(US).adf (CRC 123456B)
Blah (2000)(Foo)(Disk 1 of 2)(EU).adf (CRC 123456C) + Blah (2000)(Foo)(Disk 2 of 2)(EU).adf (CRC 123456B)

How do you treat INDIVIDUAL ADF disks atm? Can't remember what the answer was (and we never explicitly defined in TNC). Dupes or no dupes? Surely what's right for ADF is good for...?
Old 28 July 2012, 20:54   #31
lesta_smsc

I like the idea - "if it's messed up to start with, let that be the memory we remember it by"
Old 28 July 2012, 23:37   #32
Dunny

So (and you can correct me if I'm wrong here), these games actually came from the original duplicators with viruses installed? They actually went into the shrink-wrap and went on sale with viruses?

'Cos if they didn't, then you can't claim that these (IPF images) are exact images of the original disks, can you?

D.
Old 29 July 2012, 12:19   #33
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
We could ask Kaffer to generate clean unofficial IPF
Yes, because having more than one IPF of the very same disk, one original, and one _modified_, is what the community needs. Then have someone correct spelling... wait, I am going to answer that below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I am, quite frankly, dismayed by this attitude. Personally, I find it very discouraging.

[...]

Just my 2 cents.
IPFs are 1:1 representations of the ORIGINAL media. As sold in the stores. We are not fixing spelling mistakes, we are not making things politically correct. We don't take out Svastikas in Rocket Ranger or put them back in again. We don't translate stuff, we don't correct factual errors in games dealing with history. That's how those games shipped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I vote FiX them
So, go ahead. Start another collection. Call it "nearly preserved" or "slightly modified". It will be more original than "true" cracks in Tosec, but less original than IPFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
IPF's are 1:1 copies of original games so the decision to keep the virus bootblocks is perfectly fine IMHO. There's nothing dismaying about that! Most users keep their disks write protected anyway so the virus bootblocks won't do any harm.
All I can say is that back in the day I would check every disk inserted for viruses. I never had a game with a virus, but if it had had a virus, I'd have not removed it on the original media. Instead I would have disinfected the copy.

Quote:
in general, why changing anything in IPFs, removing viruses and so on, in case of a virus, convert to ADF and remove the beast.
I like the idea very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
So (and you can correct me if I'm wrong here), these games actually came from the original duplicators with viruses installed? They actually went into the shrink-wrap and went on sale with viruses? 'Cos if they didn't, then you can't claim that these (IPF images) are exact images of the original disks, can you?
You are a clever guy. Yes, these games shipped with viruses installed, I must assume by accident. Just like you do spelling mistakes by accident, or you forget to include the correct samples for the music (like for Agony). Would you want to correct that as well?
Old 29 July 2012, 14:05   #34
Feltzkrone

For an easier understanding, just compare software with pictures, which need to be restored from time to time. No picture restorer would paint a fifth finger to a human hand appearing on the picture, just because it would "normally" be correct that way. He would only want to undo what's clearly signs of the times, i.e. recover the original (possibly "bad") state of the picture. Even if the artist himself admits he made a mistake like forgetting to paint a fifth finger, no one would want to see the original artwork being modified, as in the end it means loosing the original artwork forever, very much like loosing the (historical) fact that a certain game has been published with a virus on its disks.

Think of software preservation as of software history documentation, including 1:1 copies of all the data, including copy protection, including mastering mistakes, including bugs, including everything else actually on disk when initially sold, even if it might be considered bad by most people.
Old 29 July 2012, 19:41   #35
mai

One question remains for me regarding those games, where currently version only with virus is known.
Exists maybe a second batch, where the virus was removed(by developer/publisher) before mastering?
Old 29 July 2012, 20:07   #36
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
You are a clever guy. Yes, these games shipped with viruses installed, I must assume by accident. Just like you do spelling mistakes by accident, or you forget to include the correct samples for the music (like for Agony). Would you want to correct that as well?
Of course not, and you've obviously not read my post. Where did I say that the actual shop-bought images should be modified?

Be civil.

D.
Old 29 July 2012, 23:02   #37
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Of course not, and you've obviously not read my post. Where did I say that the actual shop-bought images should be modified?

Be civil.

D.
I did. You said

Quote:
'Cos if they didn't, then you can't claim that these (IPF images) are exact images of the original disks, can you?
and my answer was that you were right.

I continued answering to the requests above to modify these, but it wasn't your request to do so... Just happens when you reply to a bunch of posts. No insult. Really. I mean it.

Quote:
One question remains for me regarding those games, where currently version only with virus is known.
Exists maybe a second batch, where the virus was removed(by developer/publisher) before mastering?
Could be they did a running replacement but for those IPFed with the virus, we only have one or more dumps of this very version. The moment we'd get a replicated disk without virus, this would be IPFed as another version as well.
Old 29 July 2012, 23:08   #38
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltzkrone View Post
For an easier understanding, just compare software with pictures, which need to be restored from time to time. No picture restorer would paint a fifth finger to a human hand appearing on the picture, just because it would "normally" be correct that way. He would only want to undo what's clearly signs of the times, i.e. recover the original (possibly "bad") state of the picture.
I think that's a terrible example to be honest. I liken this more to Picasso paints a picture and while it's delivered to the art gallery, is dropped and a piece falls off the corner. You can either place the piece back into the painting as it was originally or leave the chunk missing.

By leaving viruses on the disk you are not preserving the original painting at all, just the "arrived at the gallery damaged version".
Old 29 July 2012, 23:38   #39
Leffmann

I rarely look into the TOSEC and I don't even know how to get hold of IPFs, but I think the games should be preserved as they were mastered, but responsibly marked as containing virii.

It's the difference between collecting games and preserving history.
Old 30 July 2012, 09:29   #40
1time
Amiga Lover

If the viruses in the IPF´s does not get removed. It is just a mather of time before we have IPF-Virus-Fixed versions.

Remove the virus or split the .ZIP file and mark each IPF with a [v].