English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 22 September 2010, 01:06   #81
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lernatix View Post
Sorry to bump the old thread but is there any word on this being ported to jailbroken PS3's?
Don't listen to prats, there WILL be a port of UAE of some sort for a jailbroken PS3, guaranteed.

It's funny how the same people I've spoke to who have said we won't be able to patch new firmwares are the same people who said the PS3 will never be hacked.

Everything can be hacked be it either hardware or software it's just a matter of time.
Old 22 September 2010, 06:54   #82
Lernatix

Thanks for giving me hope Horace, Npl's response was depressing.

Seeing as e-UAE was already on PPC linux, wouldn't that make it "easier" to port?
Old 25 September 2010, 17:51   #83
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
It's funny how the same people I've spoke to who have said we won't be able to patch new firmwares are the same people who said the PS3 will never be hacked.

Everything can be hacked be it either hardware or software it's just a matter of time.
I totally agree with this

I don't think there's such thing as a "truly unhackable" computer/console. Every console on the market has been hacked or modified through either software or hardware at some point... The PS3 is no exception.
Old 07 October 2010, 20:07   #84
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lernatix View Post
Seeing as e-UAE was already on PPC linux, wouldn't that make it "easier" to port?
E-UAE PPC does still work on PS3s with the old firmware. AFAIK that was/is the only version of UAE for PS3. If a way is found to hack the firmware, it will work again on PS3s with the new firmware (until Sony decide to remotely brick your machine).

From what I've heard about people as diverse as hackers and the US Military who use Linux-installed PS3s as Cell workstations, I don't think everyone will be updating their firmware.

As for UAE though, it can only run on a single thread and thus will never be able to utilise the 6 available cores of the Cell. UAE on a PS3 is the standard PowerPC version which only utilises the primary CPU core. This is fast enough for many Amiga games though (and much better than the PSP), however AFAIK the PowerPC port lacks JIT and thus cannot perform as fast as x86 UAE or WinUAE.

Even on old firmware, the PS3's hypervisor also prevents graphics acceleration for scaling and smoothing graphics, which is another limitation.
Old 08 October 2010, 02:23   #85
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mequa View Post
As for UAE though, it can only run on a single thread and thus will never be able to utilise the 6 available cores of the Cell.
Remember the PS3 only has a single core CPU (or PPE as they call it) with 8 SPE's - 6 for programs, 1 for the OS and 1 permanently disabled. SPE's are more like co-processors and not as good as a "real" PPC/CPU core
Old 08 October 2010, 14:31   #86
Dexther

I do not understand why this spasmos to use the latest generation of console emulators.
On the PC platform and the UAE Amiga emulator for the better.
If you really have to take some thing with HDMI attached behind.
We take a common video card with hdmi and enjoy everything on your PC.
I can understand the umul on laptops, but when it comes to your home computer (and do not tell me that the ps3 and laptop).
A good solution would be a mini ITX HDMI and a PC sufficiently powerful to move to UAE, and more.
Old 08 October 2010, 14:35   #87
seuden
uber cool demi god

My PS3 sits under my TV which I use to play PS3 games/Blu-Ray films if I can get Amiga games on there too that would mean I could remove the ugly xbox 1 from under my tv. Simples chsz. My PC is also hooked up to my tv but it's out of the way, I want to be able to just switch my PS3 on and play either PS3 games or emulators, if someone is willing to port UAE what's the harm?
Old 29 December 2010, 19:07   #88
Npl

Seems like there has been a big breakthrough as the signing keys have been calculated. Changes the situation quite a bit as this cant (realistically) be stopped with firmware updates.

And for the record I dint say theres no need for a PS3 UAE, I said thats theres little sense in doing the port for jailbroken consoles since homebrew via this method wont be around for long so you target only those that dont upgrade their firmware and did upgrade the firmware past the ones that allowed Linux.

Last edited by Npl; 29 December 2010 at 19:14.
Old 31 December 2010, 10:06   #89
8bitbubsy

More homebrew for the PS3 will come down the fields like a horde of lemmings this year, after the sign key gets spread by an anonymous!
Old 31 December 2010, 10:31   #90
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl View Post
Seems like there has been a big breakthrough as the signing keys have been calculated. Changes the situation quite a bit as this cant (realistically) be stopped with firmware updates.
Hmmm... getting a ps3 just got a little more tempting now.
Old 31 December 2010, 12:45   #91
BippyM
Global Moderator

I am perfectly happy with my PS3 the way it is!
Old 31 December 2010, 13:07   #92
kamelito
Zone Friend

idem
Old 31 December 2010, 13:19   #93
Dreedo

Yeah I'm happy using my PS3 for its internet browser and music playing capabilities, dont really use it for anything else, my 360 takes care of the games, my Amiga takes care of 1/2 the retro and my Amiga stuff, and my N64 takes care of the other 1/2 of my retro needs. :P
Old 31 December 2010, 14:05   #94
BippyM
Global Moderator

I play games on the PS3, use it as a media hub and server.

I have a PC for the internet, or my phone at a push!
Old 31 December 2010, 14:26   #95
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
I wasnt going to bother linking to the conference in this thread, because i assumed it would just be met with the same hostility as before. However, nice to see you changing your mind, since you seemed determined before that the PS3 hadnt / wouldnt be hacked any further.

Quote:
I said thats theres little sense in doing the port for jailbroken consoles since homebrew via this method wont be around for long so you target only those that dont upgrade their firmware and did upgrade the firmware past the ones that allowed Linux.
Link, or you didnt say that at all (that's a JOKE btw) you could just admit you were wrong of course. Nah, that's ridiculous.

Everyone else said the previous method was "a door opening", (which you seemed to want to argue/ignore) and it seems to the AsebstOS guys, that's all they needed.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 31 December 2010 at 14:33.
Old 31 December 2010, 17:19   #96
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Link, or you didnt say that at all (that's a JOKE btw) you could just admit you were wrong of course. Nah, that's ridiculous.

Everyone else said the previous method was "a door opening", (which you seemed to want to argue/ignore) and it seems to the AsebstOS guys, that's all they needed.
And I was reluctant to post the info cause I knew you would be having a field day.

Have you seen the slides at how many security features of the PS3 are useless? I was basing my points on the assumption that someone that spends a billion on a new CPU with security-lockdown features wouldnt make such grave mistakes.
If the original hack was like breaking and entering into a locked down house (a one-time access), then this is like the owner leaving his set of keys under the doormat..and he cant change his locks because that wouldnt allow legitimate users to enter.
Old 01 January 2011, 01:51   #97
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
And I was reluctant to post the info cause I knew you would be having a field day.
i'm happy to let it be in the past, and just see the funny side of it if you are

Quote:
Have you seen the slides at how many security features of the PS3 are useless? I was basing my points on the assumption that someone that spends a billion on a new CPU with security-lockdown features wouldnt make such grave mistakes.
yep, it seems like it fell like a house of cards... whilst I wont pretend to be able to replicate such technical knowledge, I was pleasantly surprised at how it was demonstrated in a fairly friendly (read: understandable) manner, and the guys involved really deserve their kudos (although thankfully, the kudos does not appear to be their motivation)