English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 13 December 2017, 02:23   #81
xboxown

Hey Emufan with this new SDL can I do another request please? I know edgar already exists and ported to aminet but there are couple of graphic glitches when you move right the player shows walking left and same goes for chicken etc and in edition it is using the old SDL and it is unbareably slow...SLOW

http://aminet.net/search?query=edgar

Is it possible you could report it again and update it with the current version 1.27 instead of the old buggy version and it include also map editor and character editor too. I notice that newly the AmigaOS PPC have the latest version while the 68k have the old buggy slow version. Can you please consider recompiling it with the new SDL and with the new version to eliminate graphic glitches and enhance performance?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13 December 2017, 02:29   #82
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
Hey Emufan with this new SDL can I do another request please? I know edgar already exists and ported to aminet but there are couple of graphic glitches when you move right the player shows walking left and same goes for chicken etc and in edition it is using the old SDL and it is unbareably slow...SLOW

http://aminet.net/search?query=edgar

Is it possible you could report it again and update it with the current version 1.27 instead of the old buggy version and it include also map editor and character editor too. I notice that newly the AmigaOS PPC have the latest version while the 68k have the old buggy slow version. Can you please consider recompiling it with the new SDL and with the new version to eliminate graphic glitches and enhance performance?

Thanks in advance.
How about you start to learn how to do this yourself instead of begging others to do stuff for you for free?
Old 13 December 2017, 04:00   #83
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
How about you start to learn how to do this yourself instead of begging others to do stuff for you for free?
Alright. You asked and you deserve a legit answer. I don't start to learn because I don't have the patience anymore, ambition and time is a factor. I arrive home from work at 7:00 PPM where I spend all my time behind the computer desk coding my butt and I leave home to go to work at 8:30 AM. I need time to relax, eat and deal with family. If you think that this does not give me authority to ask or request anything because you believe my answer is of weak status and I should get out of my lazy ass to work then all I have to say, "I don't care what you think. I don't care what you say. I don't care what you feel. I will ask as if you where never born."

You want to devote your entire life after the above sentence to troll me, then do it. Troll me. Keep replying back to my post of request by putting and marginalize my sentence down. I don't care. You will not change me. I am too old to change and I will and ask request. I don't care what you think of me. I don't care if you look down at me. I don't care if you want to dismiss me. This is my feeling -->

Oh one more thing, emufan can easily say no. He is a grown man. He doesn't need you to babysit him and to be his big brother to protect him from the big bad wolf. If anything your sentence above actually insults him. You are treating him like a child and he need you to defend him. I feel sorry for you
Old 13 December 2017, 04:36   #84
xboxown

Hey emufan report for dgen,

It runs but the game fps is ranging anywhere between 1 fps to 2 fps and there is a graphics color issue. The colors is inverted and the entire screen color is green with inverted black background color and the face of earth is bllack and everything else is black. There is color issue and speed

Just reporting.
Old 13 December 2017, 11:34   #85
emufan

Quote:
Hey Emufan with this new SDL can I do another request please?
dont worry. I dont mind ppl request something.
as stated somewhere, I only can try and see what happens, but I will do so

Quote:
Hey emufan report for dgen,

It runs but the game fps is ranging anywhere between 1 fps to 2 fps and there is a graphics color issue. The colors is inverted and the entire screen color is green with inverted black background color and the face of earth is bllack and everything else is black. There is color issue and speed

Just reporting.
try the dgen version on aminet. extract the full archive anywhere,
with the included dgenrc it does start with correct colors - otherwiese try F5 multiple times, until the colors are correct.
or try from shell/cli try: dgen -r dgenrc romname

which game did you test?
try some simple games, and report back title and framerate. so I can compare here.
to speed-up things, you may try to disable sound in dgenrc: bool_sound = no
F10 and F11 will toogle emulated CPUs - depends on game, if that is usefull.

Last edited by emufan; 13 December 2017 at 17:28.
Old 13 December 2017, 13:21   #86
amigoun

@xboxown: What ixemul are you using on Vampire? Do you run femu or not?
Old 13 December 2017, 13:50   #87
emufan

edgar does build - using gcc 6.3.1b - with some minor changes in src code.
but it does not work using the data file from the ppc-amigaos version on aminet - version mismatch.
need to rebuild the datapack, which makes the release almost 100mb big :/

#1) the gcc6 build did just crash with a newly created edgar.pak
switched to gcc 3.4.0 - this one does accept the edgar.pak from ppc-amigos version (aminet)
but does crash aswell. winuae crash or HALT3. :/

#2) some progress. it does work with the libSDL 1.2.15 by arti - the one I build myself from gitgub src crashs.
but I have gfx corruption, which was solved by gitgub version in another build, some days ago.
good news: it does work with the edgar.pak file from the ppc-amigaos version (aminet)

Last edited by emufan; 13 December 2017 at 20:24.
Old 13 December 2017, 20:22   #88
xboxown

To answer your question. I use ixemul verison 48.00 and I use femu. In Vampire I do this:

vcontrol fpu 1
femu.080

then the FPU is activated and then I can run all the ports emufan did
Old 13 December 2017, 20:33   #89
emufan

Quote:
then the FPU is activated and then I can run all the ports emufan did
hmm, I build all the recent stuff with -m68020-40 , which I think is with soft fpu.

i will test this.

#1) zone: edgar_v1.27-68k-WIP.lha - use the edgar.pak from ppc-amigaos.
start from console - it will report framerate.

#2) download from the zone again: i added: -m68020-40 -msoft-float to gcc, hopefully now.
using ixemul-020s.library and ixnet-020.library
from ixemul-48.3-bin-m68k.lha on aminet.

try without femu.

#3) zoned: dgen-68k-noFPU-WIP.lha
test this one _without_ femu --> dgen-noFPU

#XYZ) I was believing all those things I build run without trouble on the Vampire and you were
using a non-fpu version of ixemul.library. 1st time you mention femu you have to use

Last edited by emufan; 13 December 2017 at 21:23.
Old 13 December 2017, 21:29   #90
xboxown

Sooooo sorry to have given you false assumption That was clearly not my intention. I was assuming it was expected that FPU was used and didn't think it would be important to mention here. Apology for misunderstanding and lack of communication.
Old 13 December 2017, 21:32   #91
emufan

Quote:
Sooooo sorry to have given you false assumption That was clearly not my intention. I was assuming it was expected that FPU was used and didn't think it would be important to mention here. Apology for misunderstanding and lack of communication.
it's a pitty, i was really thinking my options I use to build, would suffice to make it work on the Vampire.

but now try edgar and dgen from the zone.
dont use femu but the ixemul.library I mentioned above and report back.
Old 13 December 2017, 21:34   #92
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

define -msoft-float to make sure it doesn't use FPU
Old 13 December 2017, 21:41   #93
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
define -msoft-float to make sure it doesn't use FPU
great, now I know that too.
why the heck is there a -m68881 option, if this damn thing does use hard-fpu code anyway . bullcrap .
Old 13 December 2017, 23:19   #94
xboxown

-grin- You are awesome emufan, do you know that? I wish you would join the apollo team with us you are an awesome contributor to the Amiga community ever! If we had more people like you we would have thousands of new up to date modern software already and Amiga would compete head on with mac and linux
Old 14 December 2017, 00:29   #95
amigoun

Confirming NO-FPU version now works on Vampire without the need for FEMU. Speedwise nothing changed, I get 1-2 fps, mostly even less. I think only Amithlon users can enjoy this in full framerate.
Old 14 December 2017, 01:39   #96
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
Confirming NO-FPU version now works on Vampire without the need for FEMU. Speedwise nothing changed, I get 1-2 fps, mostly even less. I think only Amithlon users can enjoy this in full framerate.
There will be a time when speed number comes to play and can't be avoided. Like for example, it is literally expected that a machine running at 100 mhz will not be able to run Playstation 4 games at speed of say 25 to 30 fps. This is just common sense. At that point you need to increase that number to Ghz for it work. We need to find which application/game can run on your current configuration so far and run it..now...you can port for example a playstation 4 game and target this to WinUAE for example users, only because the emulator is running on a system of the same power as said Playstation 4 if not better.

Doesn't mean if it is running at 1 fps or 2 fps on real Amiga we should pull the plug. No. In fact, we should further developing dgen and any software or application that demand much power spec that our current configuration cannot give now only because hardware power is a growing entity. Eventually the hardware WILL catch up to that software and having the software ready now is better than wait until the hardware catch up and then port the software. You want to know why? Many reasons, for one you don't know when you will die, so the sooner the better. Second, you don't know what will happen in the community with life. For example, what if emufan stops in three month from now because he wants to retire or people like him or he quits the Amiga scene and no one will replace him in the future? So many things could come where such port may not be possible. Might as well port and perfect many ports now when things are hot and let the hardware grow slowly....blah blah blah blah...and so on and so on...keeps talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking.....
Old 14 December 2017, 02:23   #97
amigoun

I am perfectly ok with that, and you explained it well, these emus were made for computers with plenty of Mhz's. Unless it uses AMMX or Vampire third gen etc. it simply can not run that fast. That is why I mentioned Amithlon users, to encourage emufan continuing with all these ports.
Old 14 December 2017, 04:34   #98
xboxown

Count Process Name Action Target Name Options Res.
----- ------------ ------ ----------- ------- ----
31 edgar Open env:LC_CTYPE Read Fail
32 edgar Open env:LANG Read Fail
33 edgar Open locale/LC_MESSAGES/edgar.mo Read Fail
34 edgar Open env:SDL_VIDEODRIVER Read Fail
35 edgar Open env:USE_P96_FIX Read Fail
36 edgar Open env:SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS Read Fail
37 edgar Open env:SDL_AUDIODRIVER Read Fail
38 ramlib Load DEVS:ahi.device OK
39 edgar Open ENV:Sys/ahi.prefs Read OK
40 ramlib Load DEVS:ahi/paula.audio OK
41 ahi.device Open ENV:CyberSound/SoundDrivers Read Fail
42 ramlib Load LIBS:lowlevel.library OK
43 edgar Open config Read OK
44 edgar Open env:SDL_HWSURFACE Read Fail
45 edgar Open env:SDL_SWSURFACE Read Fail
46 edgar Open data/medals.dat Read Fail
47 edgar Open config Modify OK
48 edgar ChangeDir Programs:Games/Edgar
49 edgar ChangeDir Programs:Games/Edgar

I tried running edgar..it opens windows mode for a split second then quits and closes instantly. Same happens when I attempt to open the map editor. Just reporting.
Old 14 December 2017, 17:37   #99
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
Confirming NO-FPU version now works on Vampire without the need for FEMU
that is good news, at least this problem is fixed.
I will add a noFPU build to the aminet stuff and reupload.

the poor FPS rate is terrible, but it may encourage Apollo team to produce more powerfull stuff in the future. maybe the AMMX stuff will help somehow.
Quote:
I tried running edgar..it opens windows mode for a split second then quits and closes instantly. Same happens when I attempt to open the map editor. Just reporting.
did you add the edgar.pak file from aminet to the folder of the edgar/mapeditor binary?

mapeditor needs an argument to start: mapeditor map01 - for example - IIRC
framerate will be reported once you quit the game.
Old 14 December 2017, 18:50   #100
xboxown

Question. There are two versions of edgar the 68k version and the PPC AmigaOS 4.x version. Naturally the 68k version is of the older version and doesn't have map editor and the PPC AmigaOS 4.x version is the newer version and have the map editor which is why I requested if possible to have that ported. Which you did...a trillion thanks

Now this is what I did....I deleted the entire folder of edgar (the old version that was installed in 68k) and extracted the edgar from aminet with the PPC version...in it..it have the pak of the PPC version edgar. Then I toke your lha package and extracted it into the root folder of the edgar PPC version overriding the executable of the PPC version and leaving everything there. Then I double clicked it and poof it opens windows, black screen for one split second and then baboom it quits back to workbench.

So the question comes, are there any difference between the pak of the PPC and the pak of the 68k version of edgar archive?