English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 17 November 2012, 21:55   #41
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
Hi Frode,
about the joystick configuration. I learned how to setup a controller file, with the joystick config tool inside the launcher. (unfortunately in osx mountain lion, it doesn't launch anymore, because Apple has deinstalled the default X11 system since this version, but it asks you whether you want to reinstall it at least)
The launcher (nor the joystick config tool) isn't supposed to require X11... -Can someone else with OS X 10.8 let me know if the joystick config tool works out of the box?

Quote:
But I have another approach. I assume the most joysticks more or less comply to the default mapping, right? (at least for simple 4 directions and fire). Why not first detect the controller files for the joysticks plugged in and use that for them (as FSUAE does already today), and additionally for plugged in joystick controllers which do not have a controller mapping file, FSUAE can just automatically map them to the most generic default mapping. That way at the end, almost every simple joystick might work out of the box, without having to bother about to specify a controller file.

I saw this for example for the "virtual c64" emulator for osx, which just understands every simple controller you plugged in.

what do you think ?
Yes, for Amiga, this is actually viable. With e.g. SNES or CD32 with many buttons and no standard for button layout on gamepads, it isn't possible to provide a good default setup. But Amiga with only one fire button is a bit simpler I have thought about providing the following default mapping for Amiga: Primary axes and hat (if present) mapped to up/down/left/right, and with other joystick buttons all mapped to fire. (CD32 would still require a configured controller).
Old 18 November 2012, 15:02   #42
Thomas Magnum

Hey Frode,

something completely different: the floppy sound is quite cool, but is there a chance implementing a hard drive LED? somewhere on the screen which works for WHDs too? ;-)

Ok,ok - not the most important thing... hehe

Best,
Tom
Old 18 November 2012, 16:23   #43
nexusle
Banned

Yes! This would be a cool feature! I think about a LED bar like in WinUAE for FS-UAE created as theme. For floppies it's already implemented. Only HDD and CDROM is missing.
Old 18 November 2012, 23:30   #44
yesplease

Frode to be more concrete on the X11 thing on OSX10.8
when I click the launcher button "joystickschalter konfigurieren", a apple popup appears which says, ok I translate in english "to open python you have to install X11, would you like to do that now ?" It follows an explanation why X11 is not anymore installed and so on. Finally you have the choice continue to install or cancel. I mean its not that important for me. I already configured so I do not reinstall the X11 thing, maybe if I get some new controller I have to. ;-)

Frode, I think the additional automatic config for unknown/undefined controllers would ease the handling and increase the usability for new users a lot.

Last edited by yesplease; 18 November 2012 at 23:37.
Old 21 November 2012, 22:43   #45
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Magnum View Post
is there a chance implementing a hard drive LED? somewhere on the screen which works for WHDs too? ;-)
LED support in themes for HD, CD and Power leds is implemented for the next development version. (using the overlay image support: power = custom8, hd = custom9, cd = custom10)

Quote:
Frode to be more concrete on the X11 thing on OSX10.8, when I click the launcher button "joystickschalter konfigurieren", a apple popup appears which says, ok I translate in english "to open python you have to install X11, would you like to do that now ?" It follows an explanation why X11 is not anymore installed and so on. Finally you have the choice continue to install or cancel. I mean its not that important for me. I already configured so I do not reinstall the X11 thing, maybe if I get some new controller I have to. ;-)
Yes, I did understand what you mean, but I don't know why I tries to use X11 on your system. Perhaps it somehow picks up an installed pygame version or something compiled with X11 on your system... -But that's why I wanted someone else on 10.8 (without X11 installed) to test... -But I also discovered now that the joystick configuration tool won't start on Mac (when started from the bundle) in the latest development version, this will be fixed for 2.1.4.

Quote:
Frode, I think the additional automatic config for unknown/undefined controllers would ease the handling and increase the usability for new users a lot.
It is implemented Should work for most joysticks, except when the d-pad returns button events instead of hat/axis events, like with PS3 controllers on Linux. But of course, this specific case is picked up by the bundled PS3 controller configs...
Old 22 November 2012, 14:02   #46
yesplease

Frode, that is soooo cooool. That rocks. Very good! Thank you.
Old 22 November 2012, 14:34   #47
Amiten
Banned

congratulations

hi FrodeSolheim,

congratulations on your work!! , is very good, encourage you to continue and if possible Android version that would be something me would expect with great enthusiasm.

regards.
Old 23 November 2012, 14:11   #48
liveevil
Custom User Title

This is looking quite nice. I have a couple of things that i'm not keen on at it's current state.

1) I read through the website instructions and it said you have to download a default config file and then manually edit it to change all the graphics options. Why cant all this be done in the Frontend like WinUAE ? Just to setup all the default display options etc.

2) Is there a choice of drive sounds ? The default one is a bit loud and scratchy if you know what I mean. WinUAE has alternate drive sounds that can be downloaded that sound exactly like a real Amiga.

I'm looking forward to the LED support in themes (I see that there is only 1 theme available at the moment but it looks quite good). Hopefully there will be one that shows the top part of the Amiga at the bottom of the screen that has the Power and DF0 lights and some external drives that all have lights that work when the drives are accessed. That would take me right back to my younger days.
Old 23 November 2012, 18:44   #49
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
I read through the website instructions and it said you have to download a default config file and then manually edit it to change all the graphics options. Why cant all this be done in the Frontend like WinUAE ? Just to setup all the default display options etc.
FS-UAE Launcher 2.1.x, included with the FS-UAE download, has GUI controls to configure most settings. With FS-UAE Launcher 2.0.x, you can also specify graphics options, but need to put them in "Custom Settings" in the settings dialog, so you don't need to create configuration files as such).

I recommend you download the latest development version and check out the included FS-UAE Launcher

Quote:
2) Is there a choice of drive sounds ? The default one is a bit loud and scratchy if you know what I mean. WinUAE has alternate drive sounds that can be downloaded that sound exactly like a real Amiga.
There isn't. The drive sounds are currently compiled into FS-UAE. I'll put it on the todo-list to move these out into the data directories so they can be overriden by users.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the LED support in themes (I see that there is only 1 theme available at the moment but it looks quite good). Hopefully there will be one that shows the top part of the Amiga at the bottom of the screen that has the Power and DF0 lights and some external drives that all have lights that work when the drives are accessed. That would take me right back to my younger days.
There's already floppy LED support for themes. HD/CD/Power LED support is added to 2.1.4, due out this evening. There's no official theme development going on, so availability of themes is dependent on users creating and contributing themes!
Old 23 November 2012, 20:57   #50
Bladeforce

Just popping on to thank Frode again for his efforts with fs-uae. THANKS frode you really dont know how happy you have made me with this awesome program, keep up the great work!!
Old 23 November 2012, 21:03   #51
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.1.4dev:
  • Merged updated emulation core from WinUAE 2.5.0beta26.
  • Add support for displaying HD/CD/Power leds in themes.
  • Added new option: swap_ctrl_keys.
  • Automatically configure unrecognized joysticks/gamepads as simple Amiga joysticks.
  • Fixes to allow compilation on OpenBSD [vext01].
  • Added translations: es [albconde].
  • Updated translations: fr [Foul], sr [Milanchez].
  • Using directory prefix $BASE/ caused one character to be cut off.
  • Fixed Launcher-created joystick config when using 2+ of the same type.
  • Support environment variable FS_UAE_BASE_DIR.
  • (Launcher) Fixed problem starting joystick configurator on Mac.
  • (Launcher) GUI setting for swap left/right ctrl keys.
  • (Launcher) Support environment variable FS_UAE_BASE_DIR.
  • (Launcher) Fix for non-ASCII characters in joystick device names.
  • (Launcher) Can set option __netplay_state_dir_name with /set to force a specific state dir for net play, for persistent states.
  • (Launcher) URLs for floppies/HDs can be synchronized, so net play-compatible configs can be created for downloadable public domain / shareware games.
  • (Launcher) Can override screenshots_dir, covers_dir, titles_dir in config.
  • (Launcher) Can use title_image, cover_image, screen1_image (…) to override path for individual images.
  • (Launcher) Can prefix paths with $CONFIG/ (referring to the directory containing the current configuration file).
  • (Launcher) Added translations: es [albconde].
  • (Launcher) Updated translations: pl [grimi], it [Speedvicio], fr [Foul], sr [Milanchez].

Also: @yesplease, @Amiten and @Bladeforce; thanks
Old 23 November 2012, 21:54   #52
liveevil
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
FS-UAE Launcher 2.1.x, included with the FS-UAE download, has GUI controls to configure most settings. With FS-UAE Launcher 2.0.x, you can also specify graphics options, but need to put them in "Custom Settings" in the settings dialog, so you don't need to create configuration files as such).

I recommend you download the latest development version and check out the included FS-UAE Launcher
Sorry, I just downloaded your latest 2.1.4 and it's fully configurable, I was using an old version.

Is there an option to turn off power saving modes so my laptop doesn't start to dim the screen and turn off while i'm playing !
Old 23 November 2012, 22:05   #53
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Is there an option to turn off power saving modes so my laptop doesn't start to dim the screen and turn off while i'm playing !
This will have to implemented on a per-OS basis. What OS are you using?
Old 23 November 2012, 22:29   #54
yesplease

Hi Frode,
I was just so crazy to deleted my joystickconfig file for my noname stick ;-). Then started a game on an older 2.1 version. Joystick was not working, as excepted. Then next, fired up the new 2.1.4dev version. And it was recognized automatically. Nice. Thanks again.

Frode just a question, when I start a game with ntsc mode on, will it run perfectly scrolling on 60Hz? Wasn't it that way pal=50Hz and NTSC=60Hz ?
Old 23 November 2012, 22:50   #55
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Hi Frode, I was just so crazy to deleted my joystickconfig file for my noname stick ;-). Then started a game on an older 2.1 version. Joystick was not working, as excepted. Then next, fired up the new 2.1.4dev version. And it was recognized automatically. Nice. Thanks again.
Great, thanks for testing!

Quote:
Frode just a question, when I start a game with ntsc mode on, will it run perfectly scrolling on 60Hz? Wasn't it that way pal=50Hz and NTSC=60Hz ?
Yes. But of course, this works best with actual NTSC Amiga games!

Running PAL games in NTSC mode might work (depending on the game), but the game with run 20% faster than normal, and the audio will be played in a higher pitch.
Old 23 November 2012, 22:51   #56
liveevil
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
This will have to implemented on a per-OS basis. What OS are you using?
I am currently using Windows 7. I thought it would automatically work because my screen doesn't dim on WinUAE.

I tried the '1080X Ambermoon Bezel Theme' but the df1 df2 drive lights don't seem to do anything on the picture so I take it they weren't implemented on the theme. I'll give the themes a miss for now.

What are all the buttons for on the joypad config ? I only use a USB SNES pad because Amiga joysticks only had one button ? After configuring my pad it didn't work, so I went back to the config screen and all my buttons had dissapeared. I set them again and it works now but I don't think it keeps on screen the buttons that I set.

Last edited by liveevil; 23 November 2012 at 23:01.
Old 23 November 2012, 23:27   #57
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I am currently using Windows 7. I thought it would automatically work because my screen doesn't dim on WinUAE.
Please see if the following version works for you: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/devel/2.1.4u1/
I added SetThreadExecutionState(ES_CONTINUOUS | ES_DISPLAY_REQUIRED) to try and prevent display from sleeping.

(FS-UAE does not share system layer input/video/audio code with WinUAE, as it needs to work on multiple platforms).

Quote:
I tried the '1080X Ambermoon Bezel Theme' but the df1 df2 drive lights don't seem to do anything on the picture so I take it they weren't implemented on the theme. I'll give the themes a miss for now.
You may then be interested in the following post:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=336

Quote:
What are all the buttons for on the joypad config ? I only use a USB SNES pad because Amiga joysticks only had one button ? After configuring my pad it didn't work, so I went back to the config screen and all my buttons had dissapeared. I set them again and it works now but I don't think it keeps on screen the buttons that I set.
The configuration program just configures the physical locations of all the buttons. Not all buttons actually does anything yet. But one reason this is done is so new features can be added to already configured controllers. For example, I recently added an auto-fire toggle function to one of the shoulder buttons. Also, CD32 emulation requires more buttons, CD32 gamepads looks somewhat like SNES gamepads. So your SNES pad have more than enough buttons, just map the ones you have against d-pad, start, select, north, south, east, west and left and right shoulder buttons.

The joystick configuration program does not load the existing configuration, it will start with a new one -so it's not an error when it starts with a "blank slate".

Could you send me the resulting configuration if you have mapped all the buttons on your SNES pad as closely as possible? Send to fs-uae@fengestad.no (or attach to a post) and I'll then include the config in the next version of FS-UAE.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 23 November 2012 at 23:33. Reason: Merged posts
Old 23 November 2012, 23:52   #58
liveevil
Custom User Title

It wouldn't let me quote your post for some reason, it said invalid thread ?

Yes 2.1.4u1 has prevented my laptop from entering sleep mode.

I followed your link about the theme drive lights, followed your instructions and got them working, thanks. (An option to enable/disable themes in the Launcher would be nice instead of having to add the command manually).

My joypad is not an official "Nintendo" SNES pad but it looks exactly the same. I've attached my config.

Thanks for answering all my questions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip usb_gamepad_10_2_0_0_windows.zip (333 Bytes, 511 views)

Last edited by liveevil; 24 November 2012 at 00:01.
Old 24 November 2012, 00:05   #59
prowler
Global Moderator

Quoting Frode's post should have worked. Maybe you started posting before he had completed merging the last two posts.

Try it again now if you wish, and I will clear up afterwards if necessary.
Old 24 November 2012, 02:00   #60
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
It wouldn't let me quote your post for some reason, it said invalid thread?
Like prowler indicated, almost certainly my fault

Quote:
Yes 2.1.4u1 has prevented my laptop from entering sleep mode.
Great, I'll include this change in future releases then.

Quote:
I followed your link about the theme drive lights, followed your instructions and got them working, thanks. (An option to enable/disable themes in the Launcher would be nice instead of having to add the command manually).
The launcher will get some form of theme management. Perhaps even theme previews and download on demand in the future if there's a number of high-quality themes.

Quote:
My joypad is not an official "Nintendo" SNES pad but it looks exactly the same. I've attached my config.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the device identifies itself only as "USB Gamepad" which makes it a bit "dangerous" to distribute (can match other incompatible devices with the same generic-sounding name). The system makes the name more unique by including number of buttons, axis and hats (usb_gamepad_10_2_0_0_windows.conf) which helps a bit.