English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 June 2011, 21:38   #1
davidmanvell

Transferring files from Amiga to PC.

I have an older Amiga 2000 that I have not used for years. It has a single scsi drive in it. I also have a PC running Windows 7 with scsi drives. Can I put the Amiga scsi drive on the PCs SCSI controller and will Windows 7 recognize it so I can get the files off of it? Is there a utility on Windows 7 that will mount the filesystem of the Amiga SCSI drive?

My only other options to get the files off is to somehow network the Amiga and the PC. I have a program called Miami DX that used to be able to do so but that was back in the Windows XP days. I am not sure I can configure it to work with Windows 7. I've not found any documentation on Miami DX either. If you have any info on this as well it would be appreciated.

I also have tons of really old email messages in YAM 2.4 which I'd like to convert to Outlook. Supposedly YAM exports messages to a single file called MBOX. So now I just have to find a way to convert MBOX to Outlook's .pst format. I see reference to utilities that will do this everywhere but have yet to actually find one. They are all either defunct programs, don't work on windows x64 bit operating systems or cost over a $100.00.

Lastly once I have all the date and files converted over I'll be trashing the old Amiga 2000 and all the software and such I have with it unless anyone wants the stuff.

Dave

Old 05 June 2011, 21:49   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dave,

You can indeed connect your Amiga SCSI drive to the SCSI controller of your Windows PC to transfer its contents.

The easiest way to get the files off your Amiga drive is by mounting it in the WinUAE Amiga emulator. You will not require a utility to get the PC to recognize the drive. WinUAE requires that Windows has not assigned a drive letter to it.

Within the emulation, you can transfer the Amiga drive's contents into a hard file (hard drive image) or into a folder on your Windows hard drive. In the latter case, you will have to ensure that the names of the files and directories you wish to transfer meet the requirements of the Windows file system, because the Amiga filesystem uses some characters which are illegal in Windows.
Old 05 June 2011, 22:06   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I would archive the files you need using lha within WinUAE, that way all file names should be intact when you transfer them.
Old 05 June 2011, 22:12   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The easiest way is probably to use ADFView

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/adfview.htm
Old 05 June 2011, 22:17   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
In the latter case, you will have to ensure that the names of the files and directories you wish to transfer meet the requirements of the Windows file system, because the Amiga filesystem uses some characters which are illegal in Windows.
Actually WinUAE takes care of that itself.
Old 06 June 2011, 01:35   #6
Hewitson

Two other (easier) options worth considering:

-Assuming you're running at least WB2.1, use CrossDOS to transfer the files to floppy.

-Connect the two machines with a null modem cable and transfer the files via ZModem. I'd recommend NComm for the Amiga side and TeraTerm for the Windows side.

As for trashing the computer, what sort of idiot would do that? At the very least sell it.
Old 06 June 2011, 03:33   #7
davidmanvell

I am in the process of exporting my email messages out of YAM now and will hopefully will be able to convert them when I get them onto the Windows system. i will try installing the drive and using the ADFView first and if that doesn't work then the Amiga emulator.

Does anyone know how to get the addresses out of YAM into something usable on a windows machine?

The computer is just taking up space with it and all it boxes. If anyone in the area wants it they will be more than welcome to it.

There are a lot of files on there. I have cross dos but don't think that would work well due to the size

Last edited by TCD; 06 June 2011 at 06:02. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Use the edit function.

Old 06 June 2011, 04:22   #8
Hewitson

You may be surprised how small LHA/LZX'ing the files will make them. I've found a short guide on doing the conversion which will hopefully be of some help to you:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47428
Old 06 June 2011, 15:59   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanvell View Post
Does anyone know how to get the addresses out of YAM into something usable on a windows machine?
http://aminet.net/package/comm/misc/CManager

Import YAM addressbook in CManager and export it from CManager to Outlook Express format.
Old 07 June 2011, 03:18   #10
davidmanvell

sheeesh more difficult the more I go. The Amiga SCSI is a 50 pin scsi drive and of course the PC uses a lot less pins so I need to get an adapter for it (Assuming I can still find one) or scrap that idea and try to network the two computers.

There used to be a decent guide on networking the amiga to a PC using MiamDX and Samba. I used to have them networked years ago. Now of course I'm onto Windows 7. Is it possible to network to a windows 7 computer? Is there a decent guide on doing so? I just remember configuring Samba to be a royal pain. I may see if I can find a 50 pin to Windows scsi converter and go that route.

I did find a program to convert my YAM email files over but of course its 70 bucks. Is there a free one out there?

I did install CManager and exported my address book as well, but of course Outlook 2003 refuses to import it. Something isn't right with the format. The data is there as I can load it into Excel.

I'll look at using a crossover cable and doing a direct connect between the two but I have a good 10 gigs of info on the Amiga. I suspect it would take days to transfer it.

Old 07 June 2011, 03:25   #11
davidmanvell

No luck finding a 50 to 80 pin scsi adapter.

Old 07 June 2011, 07:19   #12
Jope
-

Just out of curiosity, what kind of SCSI connectors do you have in your PC?

If you have a flat scsi cable snaking around inside the PC, then it'll most likely be 68 pin wide scsi and the adapters are pretty widely available.

Post a picture please. SCSI adapters are quite easy to find between most connector types.
Old 07 June 2011, 09:03   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanvell View Post
No luck finding a 50 to 80 pin scsi adapter.
WTF?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCA-80-68...item20b7b37247

Quote:
I did install CManager and exported my address book as well, but of course Outlook 2003 refuses to import it.
Upload it to the Zone and someone will convert it for you. If you can open it in excel then you can import it into Outlook.

If you have an Amiga network card you could do the SAMBA route. If not then use AmigaExplorer and a serial cable?

http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/