English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 02 January 2016, 12:41   #61
earok

On Wrath of the Demon? Probably, however the requirement for Kickstarts is problematic (so we'd need to work out some way that the end user would need to provide their own Kickstarts rather than it being in the download, I think I've got that covered though..) and also the keyboard support required is extensive, F1-F3 are required for potions and 0 is required to restart from the current position on game over.

Given that it's a tough game, the ability to save would be appreciated, though possibly having a bunch of pre-saves that can be accessed would be enough.
Old 02 January 2016, 13:07   #62
jotd
This cat is no more

Well, WOTD disk version seems to run on CD32Load. I still have this control problem, which should be fixed soon (BTW do you have a screenshot for WOTD?) the others are cool
Old 02 January 2016, 13:29   #63
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Quickfix: old Goal install in the zone. Not sure Stingray's patch is very useful on a read-only media anyway.
Why should that be the case? Save disk creation can be disabled with CUSTOM2 so the patch will work fine on read-only media!
Old 02 January 2016, 14:47   #64
jotd
This cat is no more

For another reason: JST whdload emulation is not perfect and your patch must use some whdload feature not properly supported. Do you provide the source for your install? I'd like to see it.
BTW thanks for the Sinbad update!

@earok look at the stuff I can generate with a nice python script (on windows) that scans whdload .slave (like whdinfo) and creates the .start / .txt files.
As a bonus, the tool can read a .csv file and inject redirection for joypad buttons & slave CUSTOM options => no more editing by hand, and no more typos.
The game name (key of everything) is computed not from the .slave name but from the internal name in the .slave (if slave is recent enough: counter example: WOTD)
I just saw that I should "wrap" the text or the rightmost part won't be displayed.

Do you have source code for that AMS thing? It's cool but lacks some features, for instance:
- ability to navigate quickly with joy left/right (like MAME4Droid): when the compilation has a lot of games, it's a bit tedious to reach letter "Z"
- wrap around with "up": addams family => Z-out
- ability to quit to WB with ESC or LMB/RMB

Click image for larger version

Name:	ams.png
Views:	340
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	46794

Last edited by jotd; 02 January 2016 at 15:03.
Old 02 January 2016, 15:53   #65
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
For another reason: JST whdload emulation is not perfect and your patch must use some whdload feature not properly supported.
But that has nothing to do with "read-only media"!

Quote:
Do you provide the source for your install? I'd like to see it.
All my patches have full sources included, the Goal! patch is no exception, you can find the source in the archive. There's nothing special used in the patch, I'm just using standard patchlists with the resload_Patch calls.

Edit: I've attached the source.

I'll happily adapt the patch to make it work with your cd32load, it's a great game after all.
Attached Files
File Type: s Goal_WHD.s (10.3 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by StingRay; 02 January 2016 at 15:58.
Old 02 January 2016, 17:25   #66
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Source for AGS writen in e by member MagerValp
https://github.com/MagerValp/ArcadeGameSelector
https://paradroid.automac.se/ags/
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68818

Last edited by Retro1234; 02 January 2016 at 17:34.
Old 02 January 2016, 17:55   #67
Telemachus

Has there been a CD32 release of Pinball Dreams?
Old 02 January 2016, 18:09   #68
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
Has there been a CD32 release of Pinball Dreams?
Nope but we can do an unofficial one for sure.

@BooBoo: thanks. Well it's in "E", argh, I don't want to look at that or even try to build it. Well, is it easy/free to get AmigaE?

@StingRay: I mean: the old slave could not save to disk. I don't say your coding is strange, just that you unknowningly used some whdload feature not properly implemented by JST.
Old 02 January 2016, 18:36   #69
nujack
Zone Friend

Nice releases and improvements for the CD32! Thank you.
Would it be possible to include the CDXL-movies as MPEG-Clips to view the intros via FMV-modul if there is one detected? That would be awesome ...
Old 02 January 2016, 19:38   #70
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
@StingRay: I mean: the old slave could not save to disk. I don't say your coding is strange, just that you unknowningly used some whdload feature not properly implemented by JST.
For a quick test just copy 2 files which are named "disk.3" and "disk.4" into the directory of the patch. Content doesn't matter, you can f.e. just duplicate the 2 game disks and rename them to disk3/4. Then the CUSTOM2 tooltype to disable the data disk creation is not needed anymore. Other than that I really don't know what else the problem could be as the patch just uses standard WHDLoad functions.
Old 03 January 2016, 00:03   #71
earok

@Boo Boo thanks for that, didn't know the source was available!

@JOTD You can quicky scroll with the forward/reverse buttons, but there are AmigaE compilers on Aminet. Look forward to seeing if you come up with a new version of it WOTD IFF attached (extension renamed)

@Telemachus I keep seeing requests for it but without proper CD32 pad mapping it'd be keyboard required

@Nujack Steve's suggested that himself, unfortunately without an FMV module myself I don't have any way to test.

@Stingray Given it a try with Custom2=1, both on 1.0 and your brand new 1.01, it still does the same thing on CD32Load (crashes to rainbow screen).
Attached Files
File Type: nfo wrath.nfo (29.3 KB, 248 views)
Old 03 January 2016, 01:23   #72
Telemachus

Thanks for the reply Earok

I have some more recommended AGA titles below

Final Odyssey: Theseus Verses The Minotaur

Street Racer

Fantasy Flyer AGA

Fatman The Caped Consumer AGA
Old 03 January 2016, 03:04   #73
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
Thanks for the reply Earok

I have some more recommended AGA titles below

Final Odyssey: Theseus Verses The Minotaur

Street Racer

Fantasy Flyer AGA

Fatman The Caped Consumer AGA

Final Odyssey
is done, though you'll need a keyboard

Others are now on our most-wanted list
Old 03 January 2016, 04:48   #74
earok

I've got a little problem with Jaguar XJ220 on CD32Load, the most recent slave that works is 1.2.

However ideally I'd like 1.3 (or up) - the reason is the later slaves includes the option to skip the copy protection screen entirely. It flashes blue/green on 1.3.

The additional features from 1.4 onwards aren't needed - although I've created a bunch of saves and custom tracks as a bonus, they load just fine on 1.2 (from disk.3)
Old 03 January 2016, 09:06   #75
jotd
This cat is no more

I just tested and you're right. JST/cd32load whdload emulation is far from perfect, and since slave has been heavily reworked (Jaguar & Goal!) this may break previous compatibility. I still have to investigate.

But the good news is that cd32load with key remapping is in the zone (and thus pressing GREEN on the copy protection screen skips it). If you want to create compilations with it, I suggest you PM me, it will save you hours of manual hassle testing & configuring the tool for each game.
Old 03 January 2016, 09:14   #76
earok

Quote:
I just tested and you're right. JST/cd32load whdload emulation is far from perfect, and since slave has been heavily reworked (Jaguar & Goal!) this may break previous compatibility. I still have to investigate.

But the good news is that cd32load with key remapping is in the zone (and thus pressing GREEN on the copy protection screen skips it). If you want to create compilations with it, I suggest you PM me, it will save you hours of manual hassle testing & configuring the tool for each game.

I'm half way through an update to Jaguar XJ220 and the Kick Off Collection. I'll let you know

Last edited by earok; 03 January 2016 at 09:23.
Old 03 January 2016, 09:45   #77
Amigajay

Wow good job on the key remapping tool, will open a treasure chest of games!
Old 03 January 2016, 11:12   #78
jotd
This cat is no more

thanks

The button=>keys sometimes fail. I suppose the keyboard interrupt trigger has its limits, but it's already very very cool.
It's good to pause, quit, or do something not time critical, but else it's better to have a proper whdload patch.

However, to be able to create working game compilations, it is necessary to automate things a bit.

You'll find my python script + csv file for key mapping/options for working games & generate launcher scripts & descriptions. Paths are relative but hardcoded.
You have to have "CDROOT" subdir, and games in "CDROOT/GAMES". It scans .slave files and extracts info. It matches the slave against the .csv database and creates the launcher scripts with extra options/keys if needed.

If someone wants to help to update the .csv file... (remember: there are defaults, so no need to do every game).
by default:

* blue => space
* green => return
* yellow => left ALT
* play => P
* fwd => F1
* bwd => F2
* fwd+bwd => ESC

@earok: not sure the launcher version was the latest. Source code indicated some extra keys that don't work.
@earok: WOTD does not respond to anything on "get ready" screen even on floppy version on CD32... strange...

gameinfo.zip

Last edited by jotd; 03 January 2016 at 11:18.
Old 03 January 2016, 11:23   #79
earok

Just giving it a try on Jaguar XJ220, everything seems to be working great

Modifier keys work, eg to quit back to the main menu you have to hit SHIFT+ESC, I've mapped both of those keys to gamepad controls and hitting both of them at the same time indeed brings you back to the menu.

Pause is a bit temperamental but it appears to be that way in the original game (doesn't always work when you press P, especially if it's for an extended time)
Old 03 January 2016, 11:28   #80
earok

Tried to give it a go on Hard N Heavy - it seemed to work up until the first level loaded, and then simply froze. Not sure if this is relevant but the slave is very old (2000)