English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 30 July 2018, 21:29   #1
Ian
Global Moderator

Bare minimum to boot WHDLoad games

This is just an idea I've had today, and obviously I've already done it and seen that it works using something I found on the forum from years ago.

I have created a tiny vhd and installed a game (in my test if was Alien Breed Tower Assault) and got it to load and play successfully pretty easily.

I don't however know what any of these things do, I guess a RAM: assign needs to exist for preloading though.

So this is what I am using:

Code:
setpatch quiet
assign ENV: RAM:
assign T: RAM:
whdload AlienBreedTA.slave preload splashdelay=-1 Preloadsize="The size, I cannot remember what it was"
I have copied setpatch, assign and WHDload into a c folder on the vhd I have installed the game with.

No idea if these are copyright though, I guess WHDLoad is OK, and setpatch exists on Aminet so should be OK to distribute if I ever get round to doing more than one

Couldn't find anything about assign though?

It was playing around with DamienDs collection, this sparked the idea, as many releases (in general not in DD's collection specifically) have bugs that are fixed by the install creators, so obviously the experience would be better with WHDLoad installs rather than floppies.

Anyway, I digress, is this the minimum I can get away to boot directly to a WHD game?
Old 30 July 2018, 23:34   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

Have you not seen this thread from September 2016 Ian: WHDLoad Games Converted to HDF?

In particular my post here

...mind you, you don't really need to include Kickstart / RTB files when running on an A1200; it's only if the game is A500 / A600 / CD32.
Old 30 July 2018, 23:47   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

Obviously not

I did read another thread though that said whdload works perfectly with a 68010 CPU set with à500 so probably wouldn't need to include any kickstart files at all.

Will try it when I get my head round making a hdf for 1.3 I know there's one in he green alien guide premade bit trying to get it working myself and have that as a last resort.
Old 30 July 2018, 23:51   #4
DamienD
Global Moderator

In my collection, these are the bare-bones / self booting .HDFs that use "WHDLoad" and were created following the procedure I wrote for ransom1122:
  • Apidya - 2018 Special Edition
  • Atlantyda
  • Cannon Fodder New Campaign
  • Diggers [AGA]
  • Eye of the Beholder [AGA]
  • Eye of the Beholder II - The Legend of Darkmoon [AGA]
  • Mission Elevator
  • Overdrive (Infacto)
  • Rackney's Island
  • Rise of the Robots SE [AGA]
  • The Untouchables SE
  • Viaje Al Centro De La Tierra
  • Yogi Bear and Friends in the Greed Monster
Old 31 July 2018, 03:02   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

Well that was short lived, for some reason I had it in my head that WHDLoad works under kickstart 1.3, turns out it doesn't as it says in the manual

Ahh well, at least I now have a hardfile on the go for 1.3