Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenPin.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	64736  
Old 12 October 2019, 18:35   #2
jlin_au

It is fixable; just a matter of replacing the affected pin header with a new one.
It will probably require some soldering.

Pack the card properly in its anti-static packaging and take it to you local electronics hobbyist store to get the correct replacement pin header strip. You'll need a pin header strip that is designed for one side to plug into one side of an IC socket (needs to have thin round pins instead of thick square pins).
The store may even be able to do the repair for you.
Old 12 October 2019, 18:50   #3
a4k-oerx

If you don't change the card too often, it might be sufficient to replace the first two pins only, these strips can be cut to any size with a simple knife, could be a 5 mins job for somebody with a proper soldering iron.
Old 12 October 2019, 18:58   #4
deimos
It's coming back!

When I've soldered similar pin strips I've always found it difficult to not get the pins hot enough that they slip out of the plastic. You might be able to desolder the bent pins while pulling them out completely, then slip replacement pins in without removing the plastic.
Old 12 October 2019, 23:15   #5
Torti-the-Smurf

Thank you all, good to know there is hope.
I consider myself a total numbnut with a soldering iron, so i have to get some help here.
Hmmm, i have somebody in mind. Hopefully he can help me to fix this broken Card´s Pin.
I got that A-500 used and i wanted to clean the board ; popped the Card straight out... and Bääääm; one pin gone .
I could see that the Card was handled pretty rough in the past. Too bad. Now i have to get this Card fixed. Fingers Crossed .
Old 14 October 2019, 15:34   #6
lesta_smsc

If you snap the bottom part of the pin will it just pull out of socket. Then just replace with another pin from donor (looks like something from Arduino connectors)? The other option is to solder a wire onto donor pin and plug or solder into the area it needs to go. Some connectors will probably be able to fit onto broken pin and you just snip off legs to shorten as required. I did this with PCB project in the past.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 14 October 2019, 22:01   #7
GadgetUK

The easy way to fix it is desolder the one pin, and maybe the 1 or 2 next to it, cut the black plastic either side of the pins you are removing. Then carefully remove just those 2 or 3 pins. Replace that small section with a new piece. I've got a video going up this week on this exact subject.

You could of course replace the whole strip of pin header, but I tend to try and limit the amount of desoldering, heat and risk etc by just swapping a small section. More than 1 pin because you get more strength in a section of 2 or 3.
Old 15 October 2019, 04:10   #8
dalek

In the photo, that pin strip doesn't even look like it is sitting flush against the PCB, and some pins not even soldered???
Old 16 October 2019, 13:00   #9
lord of time
Banned

if its like the riser on my A604 and indivision ecs the are just pushed over the pins on the pcb so just by a new riser strip and slide the old one off and new one on - no solder required!
Old 20 October 2019, 22:41   #10
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
if its like the riser on my A604 and indivision ecs the are just pushed over the pins on the pcb so just by a new riser strip and slide the old one off and new one on - no solder required!
That was my first thought too! Easy fix...