Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 April 2016, 22:46   #21
bebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Sorry, that is correct
Old 07 April 2016, 22:52   #22
Amiga1992

What are the analog inputs in Paula for, then? What uses them?
Old 08 April 2016, 01:32   #23
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
What are the analog inputs in Paula for, then? What uses them?
Basically just analogue joysticks - though if memory serves the Punchinello PC mouse adapter used an quasi-analogue signal for mouse wheel events.

The same pins can be used as digital IO, though, and are used for the middle and right mouse buttons, as well as the select signal on CD32 joypads.
Old 08 April 2016, 07:43   #24
Jope
-

Paddles can also use the analogue inputs, but then again, an analogue joystick is just a pair of paddles. :-)
Old 09 April 2016, 10:18   #25
kratam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebek View Post
How does it move in early boot menu?
I'll try moving the mouse during boot the next time I power it on when I get home this afternoon.
Old 09 April 2016, 18:39   #26
kratam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebek View Post
How does it move in early boot menu?
The mouse moves the same in early boot as it does in workbench.

I used the Amiga key and cursor keys to navigate and load a WHDLoad version of New Zealand Story, got into the game to start playing but the when I push up on the joystick to make Tiki jump nothing happens. I can move left, right and fire arrows but can't jump.

Could this be related to the problems with the mouse?
Old 09 April 2016, 20:06   #27
Jope
-

Yep, it's related to the same thing. It might be a good idea to replace the 74166 TTL chip first. If you don't have SMD experience, please don't practice on the A1200 motherboard. Desolder + resolder chips from some scrap electronics first.
Old 09 April 2016, 20:30   #28
kratam

Quote:
Yep, it's related to the same thing. It might be a good idea to replace the 74166 TTL chip first. If you don't have SMD experience, please don't practice on the A1200 motherboard. Desolder + resolder chips from some scrap electronics first.
So replacing capacitors is not going to fix the problem then?

Where do you get your hands on a 74166 TTL chip?
Old 09 April 2016, 21:15   #29
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratam View Post
So replacing capacitors is not going to fix the problem then?
I doubt it in this case. Why not do the caps at the same time if they've leaked.

Quote:
Where do you get your hands on a 74166 TTL chip?
It's a generic part. Your local electronics shop? Some eBay chip broker? Please make sure to get the same type of part (74LS166)
Old 11 April 2016, 23:45   #30
kratam

Quote:
I doubt it in this case. Why not do the caps at the same time if they've leaked.

It's a generic part. Your local electronics shop? Some eBay chip broker? Please make sure to get the same type of part (74LS166)
I replaced the caps, like you said, it did not work. I bought a chip off eBay, should arrive tomorrow. Is this correct http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...564284&alt=web the AD at the end of the 74LS166 is giving me doubts.
Old 12 April 2016, 16:50   #31
Jope
-

AD is probably the operating temperature range and package type or something like that. You can check the datasheet for that exact part if you want to know. The LS and the model number are the relevant bits. :-)
Old 10 November 2016, 22:39   #32
duga

Having the same problem. Buttons work, pointer doesn't move. Joystick working fine in port 2. I have +5 Volt to the mouse port.

One or several caps are probably bad as the picture is unstable on cold boot (gets stable after a while).
Old 13 November 2016, 14:18   #33
Daedalus

First things first: If the capacitors are bad, get them replaced. Bad caps in themselves won't cause issues with the mouse, but as they leak, the leakage can destroy the nearby traces on the mainboard causing all sorts of problems.

So, does a joystick work on the mouse port? Other than that, same as above: the shift register (74LS166), the pull-up resistors, the traces and connections involved in that area between the port and the 166, or Lisa are faulty, there's nothing else involved really.
Old 23 November 2016, 08:38   #34
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
First things first: If the capacitors are bad, get them replaced. Bad caps in themselves won't cause issues with the mouse, but as they leak, the leakage can destroy the nearby traces on the mainboard causing all sorts of problems.

So, does a joystick work on the mouse port? Other than that, same as above: the shift register (74LS166), the pull-up resistors, the traces and connections involved in that area between the port and the 166, or Lisa are faulty, there's nothing else involved really.
The machine will be recapped at some point.

It's actually the TV that is responsible for a) bad sound in right channel from time to time, b) unstable picture and c) now it sometimes doesn't even wants to start. Sure the TV needs recapping

Joystick on mouse port: pointer doesn't move at all (just as when using mouse), but "right" is responding when I'm testing with the "Analyzer" program. Is that because I'm using a joystick or because "right" is actually working?
Old 23 November 2016, 09:57   #35
Daedalus

All the directions should work fine on either port with a joystick - as far as the computer's concerned, both ports are identical, one just happens to be designated for mouse use. It sounds like the right direction input (pin 4) is fine, but none of the other directions are working, is that the case? The mouse uses the same four inputs as the joystick for its movement (pins 1-4), so if they're not working they'll stop the mouse from working too. I'd have a look at the board around the area of the socket, see if there's any damage to the joints, traces or components in the area.
Old 23 November 2016, 23:26   #36
duga

I've been checking joints/traces/capacitors/resistors, to my little knowledge everything is as it should.

Actually. The fact that pin 4 (right) is on the whole time while moving the mouse around (and sometimes while not moving the mouse), isn't that saying that pin 4 is rather the faulty pin than the functional pin? It's like pin 4 is disturbing pin 1-3 (up/down/left).

Edit: tried a special cable with pin 4 disconnected, nothing. Of course pin 4 is dead too now, but unfortunately pin 1-3 is still dead.

I'm testing with Advanced Amiga Analyzer by J.B. Good - U.K.

CIA/8520 at U7 and Budgie looks like they have been resoldered/changed.

Last edited by duga; 24 November 2016 at 00:17.
Old 24 November 2016, 00:25   #37
volvo_0ne

I had this exact problem, with TWO (supposedly working) mice.

I bought a cheap (£15) adapter AND PS2 mouse from EBay and it has worked without fault since

Admittedly the adapter sticks out a little further than I'd like, but small price to pay for a working system!
Old 24 November 2016, 15:30   #38
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Actually. The fact that pin 4 (right) is on the whole time while moving the mouse around (and sometimes while not moving the mouse), isn't that saying that pin 4 is rather the faulty pin than the functional pin? It's like pin 4 is disturbing pin 1-3 (up/down/left).
Ah, I misunderstood your previous post to mean pin 4 was working. If it's responding even with no input there's something definitely wrong somewhere.

Quote:
Edit: tried a special cable with pin 4 disconnected, nothing. Of course pin 4 is dead too now, but unfortunately pin 1-3 is still dead.
Hmmm... So pin 4 is permanently active when the mouse is connected and permanently inactive when the line is disconnected? And it behaves properly with a joystick? Sounds more like the mouse itself is at fault there now. Have you tried another mouse, or tried using the mouse on the other port?
Old 24 November 2016, 19:36   #39
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
I had this exact problem, with TWO (supposedly working) mice.

I bought a cheap (£15) adapter AND PS2 mouse from EBay and it has worked without fault since

Admittedly the adapter sticks out a little further than I'd like, but small price to pay for a working system!

My mouse is working on other Amigas.

Not sure I would call your system "working" if an ordinary Amiga mouse can't be used.
Old 24 November 2016, 19:38   #40
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ah, I misunderstood your previous post to mean pin 4 was working. If it's responding even with no input there's something definitely wrong somewhere.

Hmmm... So pin 4 is permanently active when the mouse is connected and permanently inactive when the line is disconnected? And it behaves properly with a joystick? Sounds more like the mouse itself is at fault there now. Have you tried another mouse, or tried using the mouse on the other port?
Pin 4: not working in the sense that the mouse pointer never moves even though the Amiga sees a signal on pin 4.

No, joystick does NOT work on the mouse port.

The mouse is fine, it's working with other Amigas.

Edit: the same status with Rys Mk II adapter and USB mouse.

Last edited by duga; 24 November 2016 at 20:00.