English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 July 2014, 16:11   #1
Neil79

Slightly Magic - The ZX Spectrum classic now available!

Quote:
Just recently we featured Slightly Magic, a nice little gem of a retro classic that was getting a make over due for release 7th July. Well that day is today and Slightly Magic is now available for download! This retro classic was highly regarded in the local Sinclair Magazines and as such Colin Jones has re-released it, featuring the original art work and game play and resolving some of the original platform limitations.
Android, iOS, PC, Mac & Linux

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/0...assic-now.html
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 July 2014, 20:02   #2
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to darkfalzx
This remake doesn't look good at all. It just screams "I'm too cheap to hire an artist". The ZX Spectrum art could've been a bonus, but as THE ONLY mode of play - it's pretty unappealing - especially at a $4.50 price point!
The game is fairly small and would probably take an artist about a week worth of work to redo.
Hell - I would've done it for him super-cheaply if he ask me: )

Like this, maybe?

Edit:
Jesus! I didn't realize he wants £6 for the damn thing. That's highway robbery for a lazy ZX Spectrum port! The original physical release was £2.99 (£5.45 adjusted), but the game was new and in a popular genre... So, yeah - good luck.

Last edited by darkfalzx; 08 July 2014 at 03:36.
Old 08 July 2014, 04:41   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It's probably in breach of copyright too...
Old 08 July 2014, 04:57   #4
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It's probably in breach of copyright too...
What is? Me making a mockup "remake" screen? (No, no it isn't: )
As for re-releasing the game - it's the guy who originally made it - Colin Jones. I assume he retained the IP rights to it through all these years. That or he bought them back from Codemasters for a fiver.

Last edited by darkfalzx; 08 July 2014 at 05:07.
Old 08 July 2014, 09:48   #5
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfalzx View Post
I didn't realize he wants £6 for the damn thing.
Never understood that, people complaining about a few bucks for potentially hours of entertainment. Say you get to work by train (common in the Netherlands), and you buy a cup of coffee at the station every morning, then you've already spent a similar amount in one week. Five times five minutes of coffee = 25 minutes vs a couple of hours of gaming for the same price.

Anyway, I'm being grumpy again
Old 08 July 2014, 10:01   #6
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
What is? Me making a mockup "remake" screen? (No, no it isn't: )
As for re-releasing the game - it's the guy who originally made it - Colin Jones. I assume he retained the IP rights to it through all these years. That or he bought them back from Codemasters for a fiver.
No, I didn't mean your mockup, I meant the Android/etc. version. I doubt he ever had the IP rights to it, he is just one of three graphicians that worked on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham
potentially hours of entertainment
That's a bit of a stretch, I just tried it out on the C64 and it is awful, I would not play it for free let alone for 6 quid.
Old 08 July 2014, 10:35   #7
spud

I had this originally on the Speccy and enjoyed it. This remake looks alright, would be better with updated graphics I agree, but hey I enjoyed the original, I daresay I'd enjoy this too as it is. £6 is a couple of pints and seems reasonable.
Old 08 July 2014, 11:16   #8
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Like this, maybe?
I know for sure I'd have played it if it had these nice luscious graphics
Old 08 July 2014, 11:32   #9
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
That's a bit of a stretch, I just tried it out on the C64 and it is awful, I would not play it for free let alone for 6 quid.
I did say potentially There are people who will like this, and that's great. Different people like different things, and there's not a shred of logic to it.

Don't like it, don't buy it
Old 08 July 2014, 13:37   #10
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
I had this originally on the Speccy and enjoyed it. This remake looks alright, would be better with updated graphics I agree, but hey I enjoyed the original, I daresay I'd enjoy this too as it is. £6 is a couple of pints and seems reasonable.
Clearly it wasn't a reasonable price at the time (as it was released on budget) let alone now. Since this remake seems no different to the original, why not just play the original, for free?
Old 08 July 2014, 17:41   #11
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Quote:
No, I didn't mean your mockup, I meant the Android/etc. version. I doubt he ever had the IP rights to it, he is just one of three graphicians that worked on it.
Colin's been at it for years. He ran a wildly unsuccessful Kickstarter for this game even. If Codemasters had an issue with him doing it - I'm sure they would've put a stop to it by now. Otherwise, I'm sure they recognized for the unusable IP that it is and just let him have it.

Quote:
Never understood that, people complaining about a few bucks for potentially hours of entertainment. Say you get to work by train (common in the Netherlands), and you buy a cup of coffee at the station every morning, then you've already spent a similar amount in one week. Five times five minutes of coffee = 25 minutes vs a couple of hours of gaming for the same price.
In theory, I agree with you completely, but as a person who makes games for a living I would also like to point out that in reality you can get new, original games much better than this for $5 or less. Hell, many of them don't cost a damn thing - look into the DizzyAge community - there are dozens of high quality inventory adventures on there for absolutely free.
If this was a game I made, I'd say the most that can be charged for it now is £2/$3. At £6/$10 he will sell exactly 3 copies of it: (

Quote:
I know for sure I'd have played it if it had these nice luscious graphics
I Twitted the image to Colin - if he ever wants to update the game, he knows where to find me. With the new art it might still not be worth $10, but it will be closer.
AdSense AdSense