English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 June 2014, 22:14   #1
fondpondforever

How Much Is That Worth?

Saw a Commodore Amiga CD32 Console Boxed with the Controller and all the leads in very good condition for £200 on ebay some time ago. A few weeks after that time I saw the same bundle in the same Condition for £100. It's the same with some Games. An eBay user might sell Canon Fodder without the manual and box for £10 where as another person might sell the game with it's manual and box for £50. That's a £40 price difference. Is the price gap really worth that amount. Games that are rare sell for higher prices than common ones. I understand that. How do you know when the item your buying is overpriced? Mayby it's not overpriced but it get's abit complex sometimes when your working out how much it's worth. Thanks.
Old 02 June 2014, 22:17   #2
ajk

Quote:
How do you know when the item your buying is overpriced?
You follow the sales on eBay, Amibay and other such sites for a long enough period of time to get a good idea of the going prices.
Old 03 June 2014, 06:28   #3
Cpt. Hindsight

It depends on whether you are willing to pay £50 for Cannonfodder. It's not overpriced for you then.
Personally, I wouldn't even pay £10 for a game without box and manual and depending on the rareness/how much I want it, maybe up to £17 for a boxed game with manual in good condition, but that's just a personal limit.
Old 03 June 2014, 18:58   #4
Allen1

I agree with Cpt. Hindsight, you should only pay what its worth to yourself and then think again before commiting yourself to buying. In reality, what will you actually do with a game you are afraid to use because of the age of the disks or even with a pretty cardboard box and maybe a manual? Hardware is also getting very old now, if it hasn't failed yet then it probably will soon due to old capacitors or even worse original rechargable clock batteries

Personally, I buy the lower priced Amigas etc as they tend to work as reliably as the expensive ones (in cleaner cases etc). I want to use the things I buy, not to sit them on a shelf and think ooh pretty Some people like to part with their money for shiney tat that no one in the real world would bother with, they are known as a COLLECTOR! and will outbit each other in a feeding frenzy to be the owner of a rare bit of tat. As you can see, I think these so called collectors are a few sanwiches short of a picnic

Its been a while since I posted here but the value of items have cropped up on various sites, in general the price hikes on items are either caused by unscrupulous sellers or people going daft on auctions. Once that has happened then everyone seems to think that their stuff is also worth the silly price that someone was stupid/daft enough to pay and so it goes on getting dearer all the time for no real reason.
Old 03 June 2014, 19:04   #5
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

There is a boxed copy of Kick Off 2 in Newington Cash Converters for £2.99 if anybody wants it.
Old 03 June 2014, 21:03   #6
fondpondforever

Thanks for your help Allen1. I've seen a boxed version of James Pond 3 with the manual for the Amiga CD32 in very good condition sell for £100. Game was described as 'Rare Game in this condition for Amiga CD32'. He said a New and Sealed version would sell for £200 as it's 'Extremely Rare'. Is James Pond 3 worth this much? Must be for the Collector. I've seen Theme Park Boxed New and Sealed for the Amiga CD32 for sale at £65. This means that a Glistening copy of James Pond 3 is worth £135 more. Very interesting when you think how much different games are valued at. Guess the bottom line is 'The Rarer The Game, The Higher The Price'.
Old 04 June 2014, 15:05   #7
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Thanks for your help Allen1. I've seen a boxed version of James Pond 3 with the manual for the Amiga CD32 in very good condition sell for £100. Game was described as 'Rare Game in this condition for Amiga CD32'. He said a New and Sealed version would sell for £200 as it's 'Extremely Rare'. Is James Pond 3 worth this much? Must be for the Collector. I've seen Theme Park Boxed New and Sealed for the Amiga CD32 for sale at £65. This means that a Glistening copy of James Pond 3 is worth £135 more. Very interesting when you think how much different games are valued at. Guess the bottom line is 'The Rarer The Game, The Higher The Price'.
As a person with limited funds, I find that an Amiga 1200 with a bit of extra memory will run pretty much all the games you can download for free that are designed for WHDLoad. You can also download most games as .adf files and either run them of a modified Gotek floppy emulator or copy them to real floppy disks.

Unless you really want an original copy of the software and don't mind paying the price, I would seriously consider the Gotek drive and WHDLoad options. The options I mention means that you don't have to store boxes of disks and wonder where that game is or worry about the disk getting corrupted.

There is plenty of information about the Gotek emulator and WHDLoad on this very site, a lot cheaper in the long run and far more reliable